Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiBookG4/5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
I have 205 files that were accidentally deleted from my computers hard drive. The files are visible in PodSalvage. Can any Macintosh genius, hackers etc. direct me to a freeware application or method to recover the files?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
TiBookG4/5 said:
I have 205 files that were accidentally deleted from my computers hard drive. The files are visible in PodSalvage. Can any Macintosh genius, hackers etc. direct me to a freeware application or method to recover the files?

ok, i don't know any free recovery software for os x. however, do not write and extra files on your hard drive or install the software on the hard drive in question. you raise the risk of making your files unrecoverable.

TiBookG4/5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Can you point me to any shareware programs that allow me to recover the files as part of their trial before purchasing?

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
TiBookG4/5 said:
Can you point me to any shareware programs that allow me to recover the files as part of their trial before purchasing?

Honestly I'm not aware of any that offer a trial that is fully functional.
There is
FileSalvage. It offers a free trial, but it only allows you to see what it can recover, I believe to recover the files that you see with this program you have to register it, which is around $90US.

There is also Data Rescue. This one will also show you exactly what it can recover but it will only allow you, in trial mode, to recover one file that is 500kb or smaller. Cost for this one is also pricey.

Like I said I'm not sure of any that are free or offer fully functional trials, but these will at least tell you if there is even a chance of recovering the files. And always remember to install these onto a different disk than you are trying to recover, or else the deleted media could be overwritten.

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
USA
I highly suggest the use of an Ubuntu live disk and installing Autopsy through synaptic. You can then recover those files off to a thumbdrive or external. Good luck.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why would you want to skimp on cost when you're trying to recover your data.

If its important enough for your to try to recover it, then paying for data rescue would be a no brainer.

detroid

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
What if you're pooor? I ain't got $100 to spend right now. Do you guys work for the developers or something?

detroid

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
Photorec seems to work, though it doesn't have a graphical user interface; I'm using it to recover some lost .java files.

There is an option to donate if you feel bad :eek:.

imatone

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2010
Thanks very much jacapsem, disk drill saved my bacon. I highly recommend it.

Last edited by a moderator:

PreetinderBajwa

macrumors regular
May 30, 2009
HK
Partition greyed out

Hi,

I had a sudden , disk didn't disconnect properly message yesterday. Since then 1 of the 3 partitions (namely pictures) is not mounting and in disk utility is also grayed out.

In disk utility its permissions related 2 radio buttons are also grayed out, while the repair/verify buttons work.

I ran the verify and it says the partition is OK, I did first aid and the verify and repair led to a message the disk boot components were updated... or something like that......

I have about 150GB of pics on it which I had moved to centralize the pics and then backup, guess disaster struck before backup could be done...... santa wasn't happy with this boy !!

Any help / guidance would be very useful. I am panicking.......

Thanks

Lagmonster

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
Urgent and free don't go so well together.

If the files are critical, yank the drive and work on it via a write-blocked interface or better yet work on a bit-level copy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.