Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Definitely check them out, they make several configurations, such as a chest harness or a dual side harness. Distributes the weight much more evenly, so much more comfortable. The price is great too. About 1/3 the cost of the black rapid system too, (which I'm sure is great, but just seems very expensive for what it is).

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
If you don't mind the extra bulk, I'd go with DSLRs. I like how you see exactly what will be recorded through the viewfinder, and the phase detection autofocus is really quick.
Then again, today's mirrorless cameras' contrast detection autofocus systems are starting to rival phase detection. And with cameras like the Fuji Xpro-1, viewfinders are certainly available on mirrorless cameras.
Mirrorless cameras also offer versatility, in that the super short flange distance allows for all sorts of adaptors to be used with them. Mirrorless cameras can be your testbed camera, and should you ever want a DSLR system to stick with, you can go test out the lenses using an adaptor. And in the case of E-mount to A-mount, there is an adaptor that even enables phase detection and turns your NEX into a SLT!

Kadath

macrumors regular
May 28, 2006
Big dawg gzzz's up big time ;)

LOL, I think. :) :confused: :D

I actually dropped my DSLR and 24-70 on top of my niece's head once when she got too close in front of me while I was looking through the viewfinder. Cracked the front plastic bits of the lens, good thing I don't use the threads for filters!

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
DSLRs are versatile. That's their major asset. They can do everything well.

Until recently, mirrorless cameras either could not offer the image quality of a DSLR, or could not do so at a comparable price as a DSLR. That has changed. My X-Pro1 easily outshines my 5D Mark II in terms of sheer image quality. The XF 35 f/1.4 is far sharper than my 35L ever was (though the new Sigma 35 appears to be a winner), and is far smaller, to boot.

That's not to say that I pick the X-Pro1 for every situation. For macro, the XF 60 only does 1:2. For lenses >135mm (FF equiv), the EVF is far too unstable. But in that 21-90mm range, the X-Pro1 is simply better. Lens choice is not really an issue, because I can put virtually any lens I want on my X-Pro1.

And the X-Pro1 does all this in a far smaller package than the 5D2. There's really no downside. I give up a few pixels, sure, but the X-Pro1 images enlarge better because they are sharper and have less noise. I also lose a bit of DoF due to shooting shorter focal lengths for the same framing, but I can't say I've ever really missed this.

Even a year ago, I wouldn't have said these things. But cameras like the X-Pro1 and X-E1, Nex-6 and -7, and to a lesser extent the OM-D (m4/3 is really pushing it in terms of DoF control and ease of enlargement) have completely changed the game.

If I were starting out, I'd be going mirrorless, all the way, unless I had a very specific need for a DLSR.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
LOL, I think. :) :confused: :D

I actually dropped my DSLR and 24-70 on top of my niece's head once when she got too close in front of me while I was looking through the viewfinder. Cracked the front plastic bits of the lens, good thing I don't use the threads for filters!

Never mind that. :rolleyes: How's your niece??!! :eek::)

DSLRs are versatile. That's their major asset. They can do everything well.

Until recently, mirrorless cameras either could not offer the image quality of a DSLR, or could not do so at a comparable price as a DSLR. That has changed. My X-Pro1 easily outshines my 5D Mark II in terms of sheer image quality. The XF 35 f/1.4 is far sharper than my 35L ever was (though the new Sigma 35 appears to be a winner), and is far smaller, to boot.

Edge, if you have time sometime, I'd love to see a few pictures shot at the same time from each camera.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
The other factor is whether you need action. ISO performance. Dynamic range. Colors and rendering are fantastic on the rx1 and were on the x100 for a crop. But .... How many shots will you miss due to needing faster autofocus? The rx1 is way faster than the x100 was but its still not something I would use wide open in low light to capture moving subjects. Now if they add focus peaking without zoom. Maybe.

Point is. Different tools for different jobs. I hate lugging around my 5d2 70-200, 35l 430 ex and that's a light combo. Bit sometimes a single range prime isn't fast enough. Nor is changing them (like events)

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Why. I'd rather have better af iso evf .... And ergonomics. The 6 should be called the 8. Going down in megapixels was clearly necessary. The noise on the 7 is not worth it. I get less upsizing a 5n image

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
Why. I'd rather have better af iso evf .... And ergonomics. The 6 should be called the 8. Going down in megapixels was clearly necessary. The noise on the 7 is not worth it. I get less upsizing a 5n image

although im a noob, i completely agree

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Edge, if you have time sometime, I'd love to see a few pictures shot at the same time from each camera.

Unfortunately, I don't have the 35L anymore. I am planning a comprehensive test between the X-Pro1 (with 35 f/1.4), 5D2 (with Sigma 50 1.4), and, just for fun, a Mamiya 7 medium format film rangefinder. I just need to find the time to do it.

Kadath

macrumors regular
May 28, 2006
Never mind that. :rolleyes: How's your niece??!! :eek::)

She was fine!

----------

Nex7 is the answer.

As a former NEX-7 owner I wouldn't be too sure of that. The 24megapickle images are of dubious value. I personally can't make use of more than 12-16 on a regular basis for the types of photos I take and if you are shooting landscapes to print big you are better off with a D800 for pure clean pixel performance. I sold off my 7 and kept the 5n, which does everything I ask of it from a go anywhere cam. I'm tempted to move up to the 6 for a few reasons, but bigger images aren't one of them.

Again, my other camera is a D4 tho...

Edit; Or are you saying you went with the 7 already as your choice? If so, disregard the above, enjoy your camera, and don't look at any other reviews for 3 years or whenever you are ready to upgrade. Once the choice is made learn to love what you've got and don't mind what me or anyone else recommends! =)

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
She was fine!

----------

As a former NEX-7 owner I wouldn't be too sure of that. The 24megapickle images are of dubious value. I personally can't make use of more than 12-16 on a regular basis for the types of photos I take and if you are shooting landscapes to print big you are better off with a D800 for pure clean pixel performance. I sold off my 7 and kept the 5n, which does everything I ask of it from a go anywhere cam. I'm tempted to move up to the 6 for a few reasons, but bigger images aren't one of them.

Again, my other camera is a D4 tho...

Edit; Or are you saying you went with the 7 already as your choice? If so, disregard the above, enjoy your camera, and don't look at any other reviews for 3 years or whenever you are ready to upgrade. Once the choice is made learn to love what you've got and don't mind what me or anyone else recommends! =)

I went with nex7 and Zeiss/Sony Vario Sonnar T 16-80mm f3.5-4.5 ZA lenses. As a learning photographer I must admit its a pleasure to be learning on such a camera where everything seems to be digital. I didn't like the learning curve and bulk of dslr. Guys talking about nex5 but nex7 is truly big step forward from usability point of view. Can't even compare. Accessible action buttons everywhere plus amoled viewfinder is of the hook. I am really happy with it to be honest. Already looking forward to few more lenses.

Last edited:

runlsd

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
The nex 6 has a better vf. Better af. And is cheaper with better high ISO. But it has less Mp which should be fine. I'd take the 6 over the 7 any day.

The viewfinder on Nex 7 and 6 are the same.

It's true that the NEX-6 is a great value.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
You aren't going to be able to beat the image quality of the NEX unless you step up to full frame. Well, The Fujis are slightly better, but that's mostly due to lack of a moire filter, and they cost a lot.

Here are some sample NEX-5N shots with the kit lens, the last two pics are ISO 25,600 and 12,800.

DSC03346-300x199.jpg

DSC03352-300x199.jpg

hdr3-1024x680.jpg

DSC01961.jpg

DSC02103.jpg

DSC02980.jpg

DSC02999.jpg

DSC03077.jpg

DSC03152.jpg

halledise

macrumors 68000
You aren't going to be able to beat the image quality of the NEX unless you step up to full frame. Well, The Fujis are slightly better, but that's mostly due to lack of a moire filter, and they cost a lot.

Here are some sample NEX-5N shots with the kit lens, the last two pics are ISO 25,600 and 12,800.

amazing shots dude :D

Kadath

macrumors regular
May 28, 2006
Beautiful shots. Love taking mine on planes.

Plus you can't beat the mirrorless cams for getting them into show.

11-JoeWalsh-0849 by Kadath, on Flickr

12-Orion-03540 by Kadath, on Flickr

----------

I went with nex7 and Zeiss/Sony Vario Sonnar T 16-80mm f3.5-4.5 ZA lenses. As a learning photographer I must admit its a pleasure to be learning on such a camera where everything seems to be digital. I didn't like the learning curve and bulk of dslr. Guys talking about nex5 but nex7 is truly big step forward from usability point of view. Can't even compare. Accessible action buttons everywhere plus amoled viewfinder is of the hook. I am really happy with it to be honest. Already looking forward to few more lenses.

Awesome, don't look back. The Macro 30 should be in your kit for sure:

12-BeeMacro-04064 by Kadath, on Flickr

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Ioybond - some great shots. The kit lens is a lot better than credited. Though copy variation is a factor. I don't have any issues with it. By tue time people moan about it i don't need corner to corner sharpness at full zoom. At 18 it's good stopped down. Improves to 35.

The 50 is a good lens with slow af

The 5n is great for legacy glass too.

I think these are both in cam jog at 6400 with the contact g 45/2

8421559413_76f7694bc8_b.jpg

The larger add on flash works very well for social events indoors and I love that I can set exposure with the flash down and see it then add the flash up and fill properly.

Last edited:

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Here are some photos from my old NEX-5.

DSC00066.jpg

It was pretty dark in real life in this photo, the amount of detail the NEX-5 was able to grab was amazing:

155407_516267260405_1353430_n.jpg

But I traded the NEX-5 in for a Sony SLT-A33. I loved the NEX-5 but I found it too limiting, it was hard to manually focus at times for example. If the NEX-6 with its viewfinder and select mode dial was available, I would've got that instead.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Really great pics!

Beautiful shots. Love taking mine on planes.

Plus you can't beat the mirrorless cams for getting them into show.

[url=http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6118/6296564779_335f45cc35_b.jpg]Image[/url]
11-JoeWalsh-0849 by Kadath, on Flickr

[url=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7133/7436252552_f3b6cc1d7c_b.jpg]Image[/url]
12-Orion-03540 by Kadath, on Flickr

----------

Awesome, don't look back. The Macro 30 should be in your kit for sure:
[url=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8059/8243044202_539e8518ee_b.jpg]Image[/url]
12-BeeMacro-04064 by Kadath, on Flickr

Fellow Canadian eh! Are you using vintage lenses? Why did you find the need to manually focus?

Here are some photos from my old NEX-5.

I'm debating whether to get a D600 or a new NEX with all three lenses. Though... Next year theres supposed to be a full frame NEX!

It was pretty dark in real life in this photo, the amount of detail the NEX-5 was able to grab was amazing:

But I traded the NEX-5 in for a Sony SLT-A33. I loved the NEX-5 but I found it too limiting, it was hard to manually focus at times for example. If the NEX-6 with its viewfinder and select mode dial was available, I would've got that instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.