Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Whats the reason behind this site not having a classifieds section where users can buy and sell items? I think it would be a great idea.

Nov 28, 2010
located
You need a minimum of 250 posts and have been registered here for at least 180 days to be able to access the Marketplace, which is the "classifieds section" here..

Where is the Marketplace forum?
You will not see the Marketplace forum until you qualify to use it.
Only users with a history of 250 posts (user title 6502 or higher) and membership for at least 6 months can access the Marketplace forum.

Mac Rumors Forums Rules
Mac Rumors Forums FAQ

The Rules and FAQ can be found on every MR Forums page on the top.
MR_FAQ-RULES_link.png

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
I have a few K posts on some car forums, but it was very natural and gradual, not a means to get into another hidden forum ;)

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
You may miss the point. It's not about quantity...quality is the way to go.

Oh, I agree - I've been a lurker since 2009. My point is that I would like to buy/sell some apple gear now and cannot because I need another 240 or so posts. It almost encourages quantity over quality to achieve the goal of getting to the forum.

Now I think that saying "an account 6 months or older, or having 240 posts may SEE adverts, but may not place them." or something like that ;)

Nov 28, 2010
located
Oh, I agree - I've been a lurker since 2009. My point is that I would like to buy/sell some apple gear now and cannot because I need another 240 or so posts. It almost encourages quantity over quality to achieve the goal of getting to the forum.

Now I think that saying "an account 6 months or older, or having 240 posts may SEE adverts, but may not place them." or something like that ;)

We have seen many spammers here, that registered an account months or even years ago and reactivated it later to post their crap. What prevents a scammer from doing the same? 250 posts are done quite fast, even with 5 posts per day, it takes less than two months to get to 250 posts. Just look for threads via Advanced Search, that have had no answers yet and which you could answer or browse the sub-fora of your interest, to see, if you can contribute in one of the threads with help or discussing fourth world problems.

I am not a good example for post counting, as I am a post nut, but even when I started I had lots of threads I could contribute too, but then again, I pretty well versed in many of the standard problems that get repeatedly posted here. Don't ask me about repairing permissions though, leave that to calderone.

Just remember, the limit (250 posts AND 180 days) is there to protect the seller or buyer, or the one, that has honest intentions. A scammer with 10 posts in 180 days can easily exploit a rule, where only one limit had to be reached first. It would be just playing the long con, easier than posting drivel, that would be discovered and lead to an early ban.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Far better to keep this rule in place. The Market place here is a good one, and I trust it. I have sold an MBP and an IP4s, with no issues. If you let all newcomers in you are BOUND to have issues. I have already reported 5 spam postings today.

These people could infiltrate the Marketplace and ruin it. 250 post's seems very fair to me.

I have been a member since July 2011 and have 9K+ post's. find topics that you know about, and help people out...you will be amazed at just how quickly you will get there.

Last edited:

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
Far better to keep this rule in place. The Market place here is a good one, and I trust it. I have sold an MBP and an IP4s, with no issues. If you let all newcomers in you are BOUND to have issues. I have already reported 5 spam postings today.

These people could infiltrate the Marketplace and ruin it. 250 post's seems very fair to me.

I have been a member since July 2011 and have 9K+ post's. find topics that you know about, and help people out...you will be amazed at just how quickly you will get there.

Cool, thanks guys. Not looking to subvert a system that works, I'll be patient and hit ebay in the meantime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.