Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Can't you airplay mirror this? Or does that not apply to games, and only media?

Definitely can with AirPlay mirroring - that's basically your device display output on a TV via an AppleTV. There's some latency, but for games where it doesn't matter, it's pretty neat, and it's a great way to "share" your display with other folks in the room. We recently played The Room that way, the wife had fun helping out.

We've done it with iOS and OSX gear :) Some earlier devices don't support it, but they do support media output via AirPlay from like a video player, or audio only.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I would think the problems would arise though when it comes to the touch screen - Wouldn't the regular iOS only be designed for touch input?

Yep. It'd be one of those, "Hey look what we did!" kind of things. Unless they could change the input somehow. Either way it'd be pretty cool.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Macworld had a piece today about trying to 'cut the cable' and when all was said and done they got a better deal on a bundle with TV than trying to go it alone with internet only from their provider.

I'm in the same boat with Verizon, I'd spend more subscribing to Hulu Plus and Netflix and buying content from iTunes than I would save by dropping the TV from TV/Internet FiOS bundle!

Until Apple can come up with a viable alternative for data delivery than the incumbent cable companies 'cutting the cable' is something of a pipe dream!

I did the same type of calculations with my Verizon FiOS package and when I broke it all down and added up all the shows I and my wife would have to buy from iTunes or Amazon, it came up substantially more expensive. Not to mention I need the sports channels which at this point are unavailable anywhere else.

People keep clamoring for ala carte pricing but I see no way of ala carte being less expensive than a package you get now from one of the providers. Be careful what you wish for. If these providers realize they can make more money ala carte they're going to be the ones laughing all the way to the bank.

As far as Apple goes I see them having the same type package deal but possibly with more attractive options. They will have to partner with one or all of the providers which in the end still means that the providers will call the shots. The movie/TV industry will not allow themselves to bow to Apple the way the music industry did. They simply will not let themselves be put under Apples thumb and they will not allow Apple to dictate terms. They are after all in the driver's seat and let's not forget that they also have the money and resources to incorporate the web into their product and maintain control.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Windows media center on a pc with an xbox 360 as an extender is by far the best solution nothing on mac comes close unfortunately

Had this going for a while. The 360 had problems caching files all the time. Often I'd get persistent freezes in video, with audio still running fine, and then the video would catch very quickly like in fast forward...

MS has a great "solution" but its frought with bugs.

iTunes + Apple TV is not a perfect solution, but at least it does what it's sanctioned to do without absurd problems.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I would say it is your poor wireless connection. I have a wired ethernet and it never loses connectivity. I have an AppleTV 2.

----------

I use antenna for over the air HDTV. I use AppleTV for YouTube, Netflix, and other free stuff. My internet bill is $25-30/month. I don't have any other expenses. I don't think anyone can get this with a TV cable subscription. I use Ooma for VOIP phone and it is about $3.47/month.

I use Brighthouse Cable and AT&T alternating between the two whenever one of them hikes the rates. I have been doing this for about 3 years. I have room for a cable modem and a DSL modem in my structured wiring panel. All I have to do is move my ethernet cable from one device to another when I switch providers. Pretty seemless.

Nice, but the main point is that you are serviced by two competing cable companies. Many people are not. I only have Time Warner connecting to my house. Their only competition is DSL or Satellite (which I don't have easy access to unobstructed skies for anyway). So no way am I getting good broadband for $30 per month. And anyway, I like the fast connection so I pay for it. After you sign up for $80 per month for internet, adding cable wasn't that much. So I've actually reattached the cord. Though my cable box only connects to my Slingbox and not to any TV. This way I get fully portable TV to all parts of my house (and in fact anywhere I have an internet connection) through iOS devices and Airplay.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Macworld had a piece today about trying to 'cut the cable' and when all was said and done they got a better deal on a bundle with TV than trying to go it alone with internet only from their provider.

I'm in the same boat with Verizon, I'd spend more subscribing to Hulu Plus and Netflix and buying content from iTunes than I would save by dropping the TV from TV/Internet FiOS bundle!

Until Apple can come up with a viable alternative for data delivery than the incumbent cable companies 'cutting the cable' is something of a pipe dream!

Interesting article. Even more interesting were the comments on the article which gave a lot of insight into the systems people are using when they cut the cord. Most people liked life without the cord and saved money doing so though it seems that most who did had good over the air reception of the network stations.

I find that I only watch about four or five channels on satellite TV (Turner Classic Movies, ABC, CBS, PBS, and occasionally another odd channel) but pay $70+ a month to do so on Dish. Most of the other TV time is streaming Netflix over my jailbroken ATV2 or some station on XBMC). Even though I'm over 50, I do find that I don't watch as much TV as I used to. If it weren't for others in my house watching more TV (also mostly old movies), I'd cut the cord using some of the suggestions in the comments to the Macworld article you noted:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2026550/i-fought-the-cord-and-the-cord-won.html

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
And here lies the rub! Once too many people 'cut the cable' tiered plans, data caps and the like will hit home internet connections and all that money saved will go straight back to the Verizons, Comcasts, Time Warners and ATTs of this world.
That is what was said about Skype calls or free texting over cellular. Yet, entry level voice + data plans still cost the same, so anybody who downgraded from a 1000 minute voice plan and texting to a 450 min plan and moved over to VOIP and texting apps has come out ahead.

Of course, the initial unsustainable unlimited data plans have disappeared in the meantime, but that was bound to happen as soon enough people started using smartphones to watch streaming video, regardless of the popularity of free texting apps.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The Apple TV needs a miracle in terms of a software updates.

I'm not sure why they don't devote more software resources to it.

Basic features like iTunes Extras and LP are missing. I can accept the fact it will never get Amazon, but it at least needs VEVO, HBO Go and a few other content providers regardless of whether or not these companies use Apple provided subscriptions.

They've also completely neglected the "Computer" app and why isn't there some kind of media sharing service built into OS X (instead of requiring you to run iTunes)?

At this point, I feel like all of Apple's software is falling behind the times (iOS, iLife, iWork, Apple TV OS, etc). Maybe that'll change with Forstall gone.

1Alec1

macrumors regular
802.11* is such a poor technology today - unless you live in a 12 acre estate so that you don't have to worry about your neighbor's access points degrading your signal. (And even then, it's a shared bus, rather than a full duplex switched fabric....)

Also, the walls in my house block the radio EMR. An AirPort Express can't reach a room 30 feet away well enough for an iPhone to connect (but a Mac works).

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
The new Apple TV better be more than just hardware upgrades. I don't think I've ever felt that my Apple TV 3 was slow and needed more GPU/CPU power. What they really need is to announce some content deals. It would also add some confidence that they are making some headway for the real Apple TV.

ScruffyS

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Vermont, Usa
Can't you airplay mirror this? Or does that not apply to games, and only media?

I'm pretty sure you can airplay games.. I believe in one of the ipad mini ads they marketed the thing as being able to use your ipad as a bit of a controller and play right on the tv.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
Cut the cable a month ago. Went from $125/mo to $50/mo for just internet access. I do have Netflix, Hulu+ and Amazon Prime (which pays for itself just in the shipping), and OTA television. Network sports is adequate, and being able to watch stuff I like when I want to, and no commercials, is the way to go.

I do wonder how Apple intends to make use out of the more power they are putting into the ATV??

Last edited:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I would say it is your poor wireless connection. I have a wired ethernet and it never loses connectivity. I have an AppleTV 2.

Nah, it's not. Does the same thing whether connected by ethernet or wirelessly. I have an iMac, MacBook Air, 2 iPads, and 2 iPhones that use the same network and they never drop, it's definitely the ATV (model 2). And lots of other people have the same exact problem, so far no word from Apple on it.

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003

I can buy lots of content for $50/month saving by nixing the cable bill. Don't miss cable at all.

----------

Will the A5X chip keep my AppleTV from losing its network connection every 10-60 minutes, like it does now? No, I doubt it.

You might want to replace your modem. They have a limited lifespan as a result of crystal frequency drift. This results in the modem being thrown off the network periodically for short blips of time.

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA
I wonder if the reason for the X version is that Apple wants to make sure the Apple TV can push 4K content. That's closer to retina resolution than non-retina, though I'm not sure the Apple TV needs to do any major graphics processing (AirPlay game graphics are generated on the iOS device I believe).

I'm sure 4K isn't on Apple's radar for this device for at least a few years. Samsung will probably add it just to make their specs better by comparison.

naveah

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Atlanta

That's very true—especially with the (extremely) limited choice of Netflix and Hulu Plus, cable might be necessary (for sporting events, too). But I was looking back over this past month and realized that I hardly ever watch TV as its being aired.

What Apple really needed to do (I think Andrew Ross Sorkin at the NYT suggested this) was buy Sprint and start their own carrier in the US that did everything from your cellphone to home Internet to TV (at one simple, Apple-style price). That would have been truly great. They have the cash for it—but, alas, a lost opportunity. Google has the driverless car and Google Fiber in the pipeline, Apple needs to up its game!

Last edited:

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
If the current Apple TV can run 1080p video on the A4 chip, there would be no reason to upgrade the chip to A5X, that is unless the new Apple TV is going to run apps.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
What does this do though? It means nothing if Apple doesn't add amazon prime, crackle, UFC.tv,ect. I have Apple TV 3 and the only thing I use it for is Netflix and rented a couple over priced movies from iTunes. It's sad when my Xbox 360 has more apps. Oh don't let me get started on the NBA tv app that half works on the Apple TV.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
The Apple TV needs a miracle in terms of a software updates. It is extraordinary limited (can't even get DLNA/UPNP devices in 2013?). It's a huge shame considering its a very well designed device in every other way.

If you need any evidence of this, simply look at the eBay store. JB AT2's go for more than new ones.

I know you're not out and out bashing the Apple TV like some do, so don't take most of this as me arguing with you. It's more a story of my experience and early frustrations that eventually faded away as I gave in to simplicity and convenience.

But first of all, I loved the idea of DLNA until I actually used it in other products. Then I hated it. I found it to be slow and rough to navigate with larger libraries and I ended up having plenty of file format issues with videos that supposedly were compatible. I wasn't excited about trying Apple TV and did it mostly on a whim shortly after the ATV2 came out. I figured that it might work better at least for music and the AirPlay functionality looked interesting. I ended up loving it and now I have three ATV3's and they're all I use for media consumption outside of watching hockey and baseball games on cable.

Sure, I have to make sure all of my video media is .mp4 iTunes friendly now, but that's just so easy with apps like iVI for Mac and/or Handbrake on Mac or Windows. iVI is especially great on a Mac as it converts and adds tags and cover art and directly adds it to iTunes. You can also set it to watch folders. But you know what's best about this setup? It always works and it's fast.

Could the Apple TV experience improve? Certainly, and I have no doubt that it will continue to. But I've been around the block and some with the home theater world and Blu-Ray and other media boxes and PS3s and X-Boxes and they're all such a pain in the ass to use compared to how I use the Apple TV at this point. I think sometimes, limits are good. All those apps I thought I wanted, I found I never used them. For streaming, I use Netflix 90% of the time and Hulu Plus for maybe 10%. I could still use DLNA and countless other apps on some of my other boxes that are collecting dust (though many have been retired to a closet), but honestly, the idea sounds painful at this point.

And to add some context, this is all coming from someone who used to build HTPCs, ran many media servers, used to run and (still know how to...) set up CRT projectors with high-end 9" CRTs before transitioning to digital projection, bought a Sony BDP-S1 to have Blu-Ray immediately, had DVD very early on, nerded out over DTS laserdiscs, used to care about having a vertical center speaker to avoid wave interference and imaging issues and even debated about getting a perforated screen so I could put a vertical center channel behind it like a real movie theater...and on and on and on and on. I used to want it all and tried to have it all. It was endlessly frustrating. As I said, I bought the Apple TV originally expecting very little out of it and a couple years later, it's all I use, and I spend a lot more time actually viewing content now too. Sure, Blu-Ray looks and sounds a bit better, but more often than not, the difference is minimal with ATV3 and the convenience and simplicity of ATV3 more than makes up for it.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Only reason for that processor is apps. The atv3 already will run dead dumps of bluray movies via Beamer on 802.11n at 1080p, so the only possible reason for vastly expanded computing power is apps.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
You might want to replace your modem. They have a limited lifespan as a result of crystal frequency drift. This results in the modem being thrown off the network periodically for short blips of time.

Well, as I noted above, I have lots of other (Apple) devices on the same network and they are fine. The cable modem itself is modern and only 1 year old (it's a Motorola). And the Wifi router is a 2GB Apple Time Capsule. For some reason, it's only the ATV that loses connection. Restarting it always fixes the problem, but only temporarily.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I don't see the iPad Mini going from A5 to A5X. I think it was stupid that they put the A5 instead of the A6 to begin with. It will be upgraded to A6 at the very least especially with the retina display, maybe even A7. While the Big iPad will remain superior with an A7X chip.

I don't see that happening either. The retina iPad mini will need an A6 at the very least. Giving the next generation Apple TV an A5X just shows that the Apple TV is still a "hobby" for Apple. Something that runs cooler would have been appreciated.

naveah

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Atlanta

----------

I use antenna for over the air HDTV. I use AppleTV for YouTube, Netflix, and other free stuff. My internet bill is $25-30/month. I don't have any other expenses. I don't think anyone can get this with a TV cable subscription. I use Ooma for VOIP phone and it is about $3.47/month.

I use Brighthouse Cable and AT&T alternating between the two whenever one of them hikes the rates. I have been doing this for about 3 years. I have room for a cable modem and a DSL modem in my structured wiring panel. All I have to do is move my ethernet cable from one device to another when I switch providers. Pretty seemless.

That's brilliant about switching ISPs. I might try that, since I have an old DSL modem sitting around and Comcast is talking about raising rates.

Re antenna TV, how is your reception (especially during poor weather conditions)? And want kind of antenna do you have? I think those outdoor ones are pretty expensive, but those indoor RCA ones from WalMart are cheap.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
Nah, it's not. Does the same thing whether connected by ethernet or wirelessly. I have an iMac, MacBook Air, 2 iPads, and 2 iPhones that use the same network and they never drop, it's definitely the ATV (model 2). And lots of other people have the same exact problem, so far no word from Apple on it.

Odd. I never had issues with my ATV2s nor do I now with my ATV3s sans in one room that just got poor wifi signal in general thanks to a nice brick wall that blocked the signal. I added an AirPort express extender outside that room and now the signal is great everywhere. I'm using a Time Capsule for the main base station, but I've used two other cheaper Netgear and LinkSys N-Routers that weren't even extended range and never had connection issues. You might try visiting an Apple Store and seeing if they won't swap it out for you.

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
What Apple really needed to do (I think Andrew Ross Sorkin at the NYT suggested this) was buy Sprint and start their own carrier in the US that did everything from your cellphone to home Internet to TV (at one simple, Apple-style price). They have the cash for it—but, alas, a lost opportunity.
Apple doesn't have the guts to make such a bold move. They are still in overcharging and hoarding cash mode, cause they know the run ahead is more limited without Mr. Jobs. It's going to be incremental and boring updates of the same essential hardware for some time to come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.