Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA
Maybe it's for 3D content, but nobody seems to be talking about 3D TV anymore.

Please, no

----------

I did the same type of calculations with my Verizon FiOS package and when I broke it all down and added up all the shows I and my wife would have to buy from iTunes or Amazon, it came up substantially more expensive. Not to mention I need the sports channels which at this point are unavailable anywhere else.

People keep clamoring for ala carte pricing but I see no way of ala carte being less expensive than a package you get now from one of the providers. Be careful what you wish for. If these providers realize they can make more money ala carte they're going to be the ones laughing all the way to the bank.

As far as Apple goes I see them having the same type package deal but possibly with more attractive options. They will have to partner with one or all of the providers which in the end still means that the providers will call the shots. The movie/TV industry will not allow themselves to bow to Apple the way the music industry did. They simply will not let themselves be put under Apples thumb and they will not allow Apple to dictate terms. They are after all in the driver's seat and let's not forget that they also have the money and resources to incorporate the web into their product and maintain control.

Cable packages heavily favor sports. Non-diehard sports fans are getting ripped off

Halopend

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
It could hopefully mean Apple TV apps are finally going to happen but its very likely hey are just phasing out the A5 chips in other devices and calculated it would be cheaper to upgrade to the new design.

If they have all the cores enabled, something more expensive to produce & extreme overkill, than they definitely have apps in store for us.

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA
I'm not sure why they don't devote more software resources to it.

Basic features like iTunes Extras and LP are missing. I can accept the fact it will never get Amazon, but it at least needs VEVO, HBO Go and a few other content providers regardless of whether or not these companies use Apple provided subscriptions.

They've also completely neglected the "Computer" app and why isn't there some kind of media sharing service built into OS X (instead of requiring you to run iTunes)?

At this point, I feel like all of Apple's software is falling behind the times (iOS, iLife, iWork, Apple TV OS, etc). Maybe that'll change with Forstall gone.

I think they are just waiting for HBO, VEVO, etc to write the apps for them. I'm hoping for TV apps in iOS 7

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
Only reason for that processor is apps. The atv3 already will run dead dumps of bluray movies via Beamer on 802.11n at 1080p, so the only possible reason for vastly expanded computing power is apps.

Are you sure it's straight Blu-Ray and not transcoded? There's definitely some conversion going on as it only passes stereo audio and converts for that according to there web page. Though in any event, I've pumped some very heavy-handed 25 GB .mp4's from Blu-Ray rips without a hitch though via iTunes. They don't skip around well with only whatever's left after OS of the 8 GBs of flash memory to run on, but that's obviously not a processor issue.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
I was really hoping Apple would put the A6 in the next iPad mini. I guess I'll just hold on to my retina iPad since it already comes equipped with the A5X.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Odd. I never had issues with my ATV2s nor do I now with my ATV3s sans in one room that just got poor wifi signal in general thanks to a nice brick wall that blocked the signal. I added an AirPort express extender outside that room and now the signal is great everywhere. I'm using a Time Capsule for the main base station, but I've used two other cheaper Netgear and LinkSys N-Routers that weren't even extended range and never had connection issues. You might try visiting an Apple Store and seeing if they won't swap it out for you.

Yeah, or just buy a new one. It's a couple years old. The weird thing is, for like over a year it was fine, never dropped the connection. Then I did one of the software updates (about a year ago) and it horked it. It's never worked correctly since. Same network the whole time. I suppose I could try a factory reset and see if that fixes it, just hate entering all the passwords in again.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
Yeah, or just buy a new one. It's a couple years old. The weird thing is, for like over a year it was fine, never dropped the connection. Then I did one of the software updates (about a year ago) and it horked it. It's never worked correctly since. Same network the whole time. I suppose I could try a factory reset and see if that fixes it, just hate entering all the passwords in again.

I hear you there. This is likely my biggest complaint about the Apple TV right now. I wish I could store a configuration backup for it in iCloud so I could just enter my iCloud ID and essentially restore a new ATV from a "backup." It doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to do considering it's built off of iOS and there's not really much data at all that'd need to be backed up. It's a minor quibble, but some sort of iCloud restore functionality would be a very welcome addition to me. But I upgrade a lot and continue to add more boxes, so it's probably more annoying to me than most.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I think they are just waiting for HBO, VEVO, etc to write the apps for them. I'm hoping for TV apps in iOS 7

Apple creates the apps for Apple TV. Even the Netflix and Hulu apps are made by the Apple TV team.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I'll probably pick one up just to have a second one.

Also because my buddy spilled alcohol all over my aTV remote.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
I watch Fox Sports, MLB Network, NFL Network, and ESPN all the time.

Cutting the cord, for sports fans, is not an option.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Finally, yes, after a series of lousy and well planned incremental updates to milk money.

Ha maybe, but then again, knowing how Apple thinks, this a a spec bump, they will throw in a new OS upgrade with some nice feature that COULD easily run on the Apple TV 3 and make it exclusive to the Apple TV 4 to incent upgrades. Heck, I am shocked they let the Apple TV 2 have the BT upgrade.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Only reason for that processor is apps. The atv3 already will run dead dumps of bluray movies via Beamer on 802.11n at 1080p, so the only possible reason for vastly expanded computing power is apps.

You're forgetting, it could have nothing to do with performance. If Apple moves to the A5X for the iPad mini, and/or replaces the iPad 2 with the iPad 3 as the "cheap iPad", then the A5 will be discontinued. The Apple TV is a very low volume product compared to all the iDevices, so it will get whatever low-end processor is shipping in volume. Wouldn't be surprised if Apple doesn't even mention it.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Please no A5X in the 2nd-gen iPad mini. Hopeful for the A6 *fingers crossed*

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
Macworld had a piece today about trying to 'cut the cable' and when all was said and done they got a better deal on a bundle with TV than trying to go it alone with internet only from their provider.

It's not always about the money. It's about taking your life back from 1000 crappy channels of TV.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
You're forgetting, it could have nothing to do with performance. If Apple moves to the A5X for the iPad mini, and/or replaces the iPad 2 with the iPad 3 as the "cheap iPad", then the A5 will be discontinued. The Apple TV is a very low volume product compared to all the iDevices, so it will get whatever low-end processor is shipping in volume. Wouldn't be surprised if Apple doesn't even mention it.

My feeling exactly and posted many pages ago...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.