Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Really. Let's bring this up again, shall we?

Apple sued over iPhone tracking: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384301,00.asp

Last year, Apple updated its privacy policy to say that it could "collect, use, and share precise location data, including real-time geographic location of your Apple computer or device." That prompted a congressional inquiry

And oh look, I found the group on Facebook that is trying to bring up this dead horse. They will go away (for a price, of course). And really? 10 million Safari users in the U.K.? So, 20% of all Britons are using Safari as their default browser? LOL Sure. Sure.

http://m.facebook.com/SafariUsersAgainstGooglesSecretTracking?id=445369945535884&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fdisqus.com%2Fembed%2Fcomments%2F&_rdr

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Tech/article1202558.ece

This is bad, but those of us who doubted the saintly stated motives of Google probably aren't surprised.

Previously I quite enjoyed reading your posts, they were well thought out, balanced and sometimes humorous. Your bias however has recently become quite extreme, and your dislike of anything non Apple is now quite tiring. Shame really, at first I didn't think that you were that blinkered.

You are now ignored.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Lets not be biased. Almost all tech companies are "evil" in some way, shape, or form, even your beloved Apple

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Previously I quite enjoyed reading your posts, they were well thought out, balanced and sometimes humorous. Your bias however has recently become quite extreme, and your dislike of anything non Apple is now quite tiring. Shame really, at first I didn't think that you were that blinkered.

You are now ignored.

I will...try...to carry on without your previously unknown support.

Did I write the article? I posted it here, and tried to put it in some context.

----------

Lets not be biased. Almost all tech companies are "evil" in some way, shape, or form, even your beloved Apple

Absolutely. Should I fail to call the kettle black simply because the pot shares its color?

Siyah

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Really. Let's bring this up again, shall we?

Apple sued over iPhone tracking: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384301,00.asp

And oh look, I found the group on Facebook that is trying to bring up this dead horse. They will go away (for a price, of course). And really? 10 million Safari users in the U.K.? So, 20% of all Britons are using Safari as their default browser? LOL Sure. Sure.

http://m.facebook.com/SafariUsersAgainstGooglesSecretTracking?id=445369945535884&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fdisqus.com%2Fembed%2Fcomments%2F&_rdr

No, Apple is not as evil as Google when it comes to the use of personal data.

Google's changes to its privacy policies have been criticised by 30 European data protection commissioners for resulting in 'uncontrolled' use of personal data without individual's clear consent, relating to their use of YouTube and Gmail.

The commissioners told Google on Tuesday to give people more detailed control over personal data, and said the changes the search giant introduced in March amounted to breaking European data protection law, because the company was storing without consent cookies and data about sites people visited for between 18 months and two years.

Link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/oct/16/google-privacy-policies-eu-data-protection

and using an android device is a further compromise of personal privacy. Apple is far better in restricting what info your apps have access to.

22nd October, 2012 - Dangerous malware and information harvesting adware targeting Google Android users jumped 483% from nearly 30,000 in June to almost 175,000 in September, according to the latest security report for the third quarter of 2012 released today by Trend Micro. While Apple’s relatively rigorous approach to vetting apps before allowing them on the App Store has minimised security risk, Google’s open platform has become a hotbed of malicious activity.

link: http://www.trendmicro.co.uk/newsroo...ware-spikes-over-past-three-months/index.html

Last edited:

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada

I never bought that "Don't Be Evil" slogan of Googles. I do like and use many of their products and services and am generally OK with most of what Google does, but not everything. So far, I'm generally happy with Google.

When I first heard that slogan, I dismissed it as just some PR move. It actually turned me off a little and seemed just rather arrogant of them to proclaim they are supposed to be morally better than others. My initial reaction was, "yeah, right!"

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I thought Facebook was most evil.
5168-big.jpg

Siyah

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
So, is there an official scale we can look at to determine this? :rolleyes: If not, then my opinion means more than yours.

I'd say the opinion of the European Commission and that of Trend Micro means more than yours;)

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
I can see why some people get edgy about their browsing being tracked, but I literally couldn't care less. In fact I welcome it. They do it to provide better services to their customers, why wouldn't anyone want a better service for no cost?

And yes advertising sucks, but if it's got to be there, I'd rather it be for something I might have some intrest in rather than hot males in my area or things of that nature!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is bad, but those of us who doubted the saintly stated motives of Google probably aren't surprised.
Google was had saintly motives, they have one purpose - to make money. that don't be evil line in Google's code of conduct is just marketing.

I don't hate google, but I'm not under any illusion that they are actively looking to be "saintly" as you put it. Their tracking of safari, is but one chapter in their desire to capture all information to sell.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Google was had saintly motives, they have one purpose - to make money. that don't be evil line in Google's code of conduct is just marketing.

I don't hate google, but I'm not under any illusion that they are actively looking to be "saintly" as you put it. Their tracking of safari, is but one chapter in their desire to capture all information to sell.

And it's another reason I don't create a Google account, despite the fact that you have no idea how much I would love the integrated browsing feature as I go from device to device.

The price Google is asking is too high for me.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The price Google is asking is too high for me.
I won't disagree with you, but if you want to use android then you basically need a gmail account. You may get around getting one but it will be a bit awkward.

I don't like them using my info, but I limit my usage. For instance, while I do have a gmail account and have used android, gmail is not my main email account.

They're not alone however, so we can single them out as being evil for collecting and selling my information, all other social sites do this. Facebook does this, as we are the product they market to companies. My point is privacy in this age is a myth. Have a checking account, credit cards, cable tv? They all in some form use your data for marketing.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I can see why some people get edgy about their browsing being tracked, but I literally couldn't care less. In fact I welcome it. They do it to provide better services to their customers, why wouldn't anyone want a better service for no cost?

And yes advertising sucks, but if it's got to be there, I'd rather it be for something I might have some intrest in rather than hot males in my area or things of that nature!

Must admit, I'm the same.

It is naive to think that any large technology company like Google or Apple doesn't mine info from their users, IMHO they're all as bad/good as each other. I have nothing to worry about this happening to me.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

You are absolutely incorrect. "Don't be evil" has nothing to do with marketing, it is the mantra. It applies to everyone in the company, as it is essentially the code of conduct. Everyone at Google is expected to abide by it and not "be evil". Simply put, it's all a part of the culture at Google and the way things operate there.

No, Apple is not as evil as Google when it comes to the use of personal data.
How so?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Bingo! And all corporations lie their ass off to put money on the bottom line.

Indeed - We like to think of Google as "free", but when you use it you are paying, in one way or another. If it's not upfront, then it's most likely your personal data. And who can argue with that? People use free services, but then turn round and complain when the operator of those services tries to montinize them.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Indeed - We like to think of Google as "free", but when you use it you are paying, in one way or another. If it's not upfront, then it's most likely your personal data. And who can argue with that? People use free services, but then turn round and complain when the operator of those services tries to montinize them.

Exactly. Big companies are around to make money and most people forget that. I have always said if the consumer wants an equalizer, it would be the ability to sell your data to someone like Google. I would postulate that your data is more valuable than the online services you use.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Exactly. Big companies are around to make money and most people forget that. I have always said if the consumer wants an equalizer, it would be the ability to sell your data to someone like Google. I would postulate that your data is more valuable than the online services you use.

Most people also don't know that when you're using a service such as Google or FaceBook, you're NOT the customer. You're the PRODUCT. The customers are the advertisers, who are the ones that actually pay up the $$$.

Siyah

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013

Because Apple is not accused of breaking European Data Protection Law and seems to show more of an effort to ensure compliance by appointing former deputy data protection commissioner Gary Davis as head of privacy in Europe.

While Apple would not comment, the appointment of Mr Davis may be viewed as a sign of the tech giant’s commitment to preparing at an early stage for the planned changes in Europe’s data protection regime.

link: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2013/0125/1224329252816.html

While,

Google has admitted it intentionally sidestepped security settings on Apple's Safari web browser which blocked websites from tracking users through cookies – data stored on users' computers that show which sites they have visited. Security researchers revealed in February 2012 that Google's DoubleClick advertising network intentionally stored these cookies on users' computers without their consent.

link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jan/29/google-group-privacy-claim-iphone-tracking

Apple is not as evil as Google:D

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Lol everyone is sooo concerned about there precious privacy. Meanwhile they are checking into to a local restaurant on facebook and posting a picture of exactly what they bought.

I wish people would be more private so it would annoy me less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.