Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bimmeracer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
While reading a book on the kindle app of my iPad 1, the iPad froze and would not work which caused me to do hard reset. After doing the hard reset, my Ipad was stuck in recovery mode and it instructed me to "connect to itunes." After connecting it to iTunes and trying to restore it, I kept of getting an error message. After doing some research, I found out that iTunes 11 and the iPad one are not compatible.

Since I am using iTunes 11, what options do I have to fix/restore my first generaton iPad?

Marjamrob1

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
While reading a book on the kindle app of my iPad 1, the iPad froze and would not work which caused me to do hard reset. After doing the hard reset, my Ipad was stuck in recovery mode and it instructed me to "connect to itunes." After connecting it to iTunes and trying to restore it, I kept of getting an error message. After doing some research, I found out that iTunes 11 and the iPad one are not compatible.

Since I am using iTunes 11, what options do I have to fix/restore my first generaton iPad?

What is your error message?

bimmeracer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
My iPad 1 works fine with iTunes 11

Do a DFU restore and it'll put on 5.1.1

It's still supported, just not iOS updated to 6.x
I tried that with no luck.
From my understanding, with iTunes 11 you cannot update to 5.1.1. Only 6.0

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Are you trying to jailbreak it or just get it running? I'd forgo the jailbreak as it's most likely what caused it to crash on you in the first place.

You might have something in your hosts file blocking Apples servers.

bimmeracer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Are you trying to jailbreak it or just get it running? I'd forgo the jailbreak as it's most likely what caused it to crash on you in the first place.

You might have something in your hosts file blocking Apples servers.

I just want to get it running.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Apple Store but I doubt there is much they can do. They did tell people that iOS six was not for iPad 1 as it only has 256MB of ram in it.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The iPad "iPad" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (9).

Error 9 is hardware eroor. I'm afraid your iPad is dead. You can take it into Apple and get it replaced for $249 (corrected, thanks vsuri!), or you can get a new iPad.

Last edited:

vsuri

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Error 9 is hardware eroor. I'm afraid your iPad is dead. You can take it into Apple and get it replaced for $99, or you can get a new iPad.

Where do you see $99? Out of Warranty Service fee for iPad is $249 + tax.

Last edited:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Error 9: This error occurs when the device unexpectedly drops off of the USB bus and communication stops. This can occur if the device is manually disconnected during the restore process. This issue can be resolved by performing USB isolation troubleshooting, using a different USB dock connector cable, trying another USB port, restoring on another computer, or by eliminating conflicts from third-party security software.

From the web.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.