Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qwerty11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
I'm using Garageband and a keyboard connected via USB. If for some reason I disconnect the keyboard, I get a message in Garageband saying that all midi inputs have dropped. The only way I can figure out to get it to re-connect is to restart the Mac. Is there any other way?

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
I'm using Garageband and a keyboard connected via USB. If for some reason I disconnect the keyboard, I get a message in Garageband saying that all midi inputs have dropped. The only way I can figure out to get it to re-connect is to restart the Mac. Is there any other way?

Garageband should automatically detect the MIDI keyboard. Just tried it in Garageband with a USB MIDI controller I have, and unplugging and replugging did not require a restart to function.

Qwerty11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Garageband should automatically detect the MIDI keyboard. Just tried it in Garageband with a USB MIDI controller I have, and unplugging and replugging did not require a restart to function.

Plugging in the keyboard creates to prefs pane "YAMAHA USB-MIDI." Maybe it is creating some type of ad-hoc connection.

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
Plugging in the keyboard creates to prefs pane "YAMAHA USB-MIDI." Maybe it is creating some type of ad-hoc connection.

The Yamaha USB-MIDI is the Yamaha MIDI driver being loaded up. It's normal. I'm not really sure what could be causing your issue. Have you updated to the latest drivers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.