Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I hope they don't go with the A5X in the iPad mini, because even though it'll run fine it's effectively just an iPad 2 (power wise) still!

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I love my Apple TV. Can't wait for a new one then I can stick my current one in the bedroom :apple::)

----------

There is only one thing wrong with the Apple TV. It has no apps. Fix that instead.

I sometimes say the same thing myself,but with iCloud Netflix and YouTube my personal needs are all pretty much covered.

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
What does this do though? It means nothing if Apple doesn't add amazon prime, crackle, UFC.tv,ect. I have Apple TV 3 and the only thing I use it for is Netflix and rented a couple over priced movies from iTunes. It's sad when my Xbox 360 has more apps. Oh don't let me get started on the NBA tv app that half works on the Apple TV.

Apple doesn't need to add anything, the new AppleTV4 will have a built in App Store you'll add those Crackle apps etc, at the moment you can Airplay crackle etc from your mac.
I'm in the UK and don't have HULU and only the UK version of Netflix on AppleTV3 but on my mac I can access the Canadian and US version of Netflix (one account does all) and HULUplus and stream these with Airplay it's flawless and HD.
And blueooth keyboard compatibility as of last nights update is handy, I had no idea ATV3 even had bluetooth.

ZenErik

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Massachusetts
All I ask is that it supports 24hz playback this time. And I will buy. If not, I'll likely stick with the ATV3... The jitter can be annoying though

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
All I ask is that it supports 24hz playback this time. And I will buy. If not, I'll likely stick with the ATV3... The jitter can be annoying though

this Plus the Apps will make me buy another Apple TV from my 3rd Gen.

i want another apple tv to put in another room anyway so i want the next Apple TV i buy to be something more than what iv got.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Does the AppleTV see media on DLNA servers? I love PLEX and have all my media sent over that... Would be nice if ATV could see the library over DLNA. (Fortunately Plex.app supports airplay output so I could just transmit from ipad to the TV? Seems a weird way to go about it)

tandras

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
I hope they don't go with the A5X in the iPad mini, because even though it'll run fine it's effectively just an iPad 2 (power wise) still!

What about an iPad mini Retina with A5X (32nm) in March (due to high market pressure), then a proper upgrade (with A6X/A7X) in October :)

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
Does the AppleTV see media on DLNA servers? I love PLEX and have all my media sent over that... Would be nice if ATV could see the library over DLNA. (Fortunately Plex.app supports airplay output so I could just transmit from ipad to the TV? Seems a weird way to go about it)

No. You'll have to use airplay.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
It's not always about the money. It's about taking your life back from 1000 crappy channels of TV.
You don't have to watch them just because they're there! But even if you watch just a handful of shows across a small number of non-OTA channels cutting the cord can be a non-starter for many!

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
That is what was said about Skype calls or free texting over cellular. Yet, entry level voice + data plans still cost the same, so anybody who downgraded from a 1000 minute voice plan and texting to a 450 min plan and moved over to VOIP and texting apps has come out ahead.

Of course, the initial unsustainable unlimited data plans have disappeared in the meantime, but that was bound to happen as soon enough people started using smartphones to watch streaming video, regardless of the popularity of free texting apps.
Haven't you just proved the point, people have 'cut the cord' as far as phone calls/texts go and are now simply using data for all their needs and the providers have responded by tiering and throttling data to extract maximum $$$!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What about an iPad mini Retina with A5X (32nm) in March (due to high market pressure), then a proper upgrade (with A6X/A7X) in October :)

WHAT market pressure ? The current iPad mini is having a hard time supplying demand, so there is no market pressure for new hardware.

Also NO RETINA DISPLAYS until Q3 / Q4. AU Optronics in charge of producing the retina display have already stated it wont be out of development until late Q2 early Q3 with mass production aimed at Q4 2013.

Unless you have a time-machine and can bend the laws of time, then that again is a no no.

So please can we stop the 'March' refresh. It is not going to happen.

----------

Not unless its jailbroken.

----------

Don't forget, the A5X in the iPad 3rd generation was 45nm. By moving to 32nm it could be much more power effective and consume less power. So it would be ideal for a Retina iPad mini as it is. I guess.

We don't know that for sure. The iPad mini has a battery 1/3rd the size of the iPad 3 & 4

Unless reducing die size results in considerable power savings of 2/3rd's then the battery life would be affected on the mini regardless.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK

If there is high market pressure then maybe, but do we know whether there is?

I know a lot of people want the retina screen on here, but I think they'd also not buy it if it had an A5X!

smatty007

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
Germany
Better Music control interface on the ATF anyone?

I enjoy my ATV3 for movie rentals and video/photo streams to my TV.

But what is absolutely awful is the control of the music library! The interface is years behind todays intuitive OS design options.

So I end up controling my iTunes music via iPhone/iPad or directly on my MacMini. But with iTunes Match the ATV would be an awesome choice for music control if the interface would be more usable.

I hope for an update of the music player app and the return of coverflow ;)

And maybe the ATV needs a bit more horepower to deal with a more sophisticated music interface and needs more memory to cach some of that?

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Why would Apple TV need A5X at all? Isn't the X for driving a higher res? Apple TV will still drive 1080p no matter what.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Why would Apple TV need A5X at all? Isn't the X for driving a higher res? Apple TV will still drive 1080p no matter what.

As suggested. It could merely be a case of using up chips that were already produced for the iPad 3 before the early demise of the product in October last. Maybe they had a supply of chips and it makes sense to use them up rather than waste them, and the A5X's lack of power efficiency is irrelevant in a device permanently connected to the mains.

It would explain why the new Apple TV is merely classified as 3,2 designation rather than as an important 4,1 new hardware release.

This was probably just intended to be a silent upgrade, to utilise remaining surplus of A5X chips.

----------

Am I missing something? Aside from a spec bump why upgrade from the atv3 to this?

probably intended as a silent upgrade.

tandras

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
WHAT market pressure ? The current iPad mini is having a hard time supplying demand, so there is no market pressure for new hardware.

Also NO RETINA DISPLAYS until Q3 / Q4. AU Optronics in charge of producing the retina display have already stated it wont be out of development until late Q2 early Q3 with mass production aimed at Q4 2013.

Unless you have a time-machine and can bend the laws of time, then that again is a no no.

So please can we stop the 'March' refresh. It is not going to happen.

----------

Not unless its jailbroken.

----------

We don't know that for sure. The iPad mini has a battery 1/3rd the size of the iPad 3 & 4

Unless reducing die size results in considerable power savings of 2/3rd's then the battery life would be affected on the mini regardless.

I accept your point of view. I wasn't saying it's 100 percent sure, I was just pondering the possibilities. Although new products in this category will be released by others (Samsung's 8" Galaxy, new Nexus 7) soon

Unfortunately I have no time machine. But if I had I wouldn't advertise it here for sure :)

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
By that time, I hope the cable infrastructure goes the way of the telephone landline infrastructure, in that any cable provider can pipe their signal over a shared network. That would add competition and reduce prices.

How does that get accomplished though? The physical cable pipe is owned by the same people that like their cable TV revenues "as is". A government request for sharing it will be met with scoffs and long-term delays. A government mandate for sharing will be met with scoffs and long-term delays (court battles). Realistically though, there's a big reason why these same companies are major contributors to both political parties. It's how extraordinarily anti-consumer laws get passed like: http://www.examiner.com/article/it-s-official-unlocking-your-cell-phone-is-now-illegal As such, it seems unlikely that the Gov will step in and mandate competition such that it hurts their big campaign contributors to benefit us consumers?

Or maybe you are imagining an all-wireless internet via LTE or similar? If so, there is not enough bandwidth for that to even get close to an option for the masses. And we already see how the masses are being conditioned to pay for relatively small amounts of wireless bandwidth. Imagine the clash when some kind of all-internet cable TV replacement solution clashes with small data tiers and tiered pricing.

IMO, the #1 problem with the cable TV replacement dream is the fact that any such replacement depends on being delivered to consumers through the very same pipes owned by those who like cable TV "as is". It's easy to dream about what's in it for us and Apple... but why would the cable company that is also our broadband company allow that to happen? through their own pipes?

The #2 problem is our belief that we can get some kind of al-a-carte, commercial-free replacement and cut our monthly bill by 80-90+% and still somehow keep all the shows that everyone likes being produced at the same quality level as now... and still persisting a motivation for entrepreneurs to take high risks on creating a good mix of new pilots every year too.

The #3 problem is the huge subsidy per household paid by the existing commercial-based model (including commercials running on the 190 channels "I" never watch) being killed off in al-a-carte world but believing neither we consumers nor Apple would have to make that up; if so, who's left to eat that huge loss in the Content Creator + Apple + Us chain?

#4 is #2 & #3 stated another way- the naive math concept which goes "I pay $100 for 200 channels now", "I only want about 10 channels", "$100/200 = 50 cents per channel", "My bill should be cut to $5 per month"... and believing that al-a-carte would actually work that way; in reality, an al-a-carte model would probably kill off a lot of "junk" channels "I" never watch (and with them would go the commercial subsidy revenues from commercials "I" never see either) yielding a much smaller mix of the very subjectively "good" channels "I" do want in my new package of just 10 channels. How much would those 10 channels cost? Probably at least $100/month plus whatever it would cost to make up for the lost subsidy revenue. Yes, $10+ per channel, not 50 cents.

And so on. This has all been discussed multiple times before and there's always a split. The dreamers will just pretend there are no real problems in the above... that Apple will find a way. The realists will recognize the many holes in that dream and add that for any cable TV replacement revolution, it's probably us consumers that are paying up MORE than we do now if there is any chance of it actually happening.

Otherwise, you need other kinds of innovations to solve key problems. For example, a new way to cheaply link us directly to iCloud and bypass the last mile in place now would solve #1. That's a big missing piece in putting real potential in the dream. What is that innovation? It's not LTE or similar. It needs to be something else with wired-like bandwidth probably without the wires (so that it can reach the world without having to build out a ton of new physical infrastructure).

OR, we consumers need to say/show we're willing to open our wallets much wider and tangibly demonstrate that everyone else in the chain will be able to make much more money than they make in the model "as is" (because that's the biggest driver of business change). If we average $100/month now, we probably need to show them we'll pay $200 or more per month for our fewer channels and/or less diversity of programming in this dream. As long as the other links in the chain can all make more money than they do now, we'll probably get what we want (except for the cheaper monthly bill part).

Last edited:

Swinny

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2002
Oxford, UK
Love my ATV3 (had a 1st gen previously, sold for the same money I bought the 3 for when released!)...I think it is a great device, but would love to see Apple do more with it.

Recent software updates (adding the bluetooth keyboard and sortable grids) suggest that they may be looking at making it more flexible, hopefully for Apps in some way? I just hope that this spec bump is more a natural supply/parts thing, rather than Apple sticking in a bit of extra power just to enable the Apps (and doing that irritating Apple thing of claiming that last-gen devices aren't capable of running new features).

Seems to be quite a few little Android consoles coming to market (that Ouya kickstarter thing) - opening up the Apple TV to run Apps/Games (using bluetooth keyboard/controller) would be a natural response to those devices surely? Even if the selection of Apps available is even more curated than the normal App store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.