Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
I was waiting, in my house, and checked the Track Shipment and noticed that 10 minutes prior, FedEX had noted that I wasn't home and didn't deliver!!! I called FedEX and she told me they had no way to get ahold of the driver, since that station was closed. I called Apple and complained and they gave me a $50 credit on my Imac order. Still irritated at FedEx. They guy just wanted to go home.

Last edited:

Tombs

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Sutton, Surrey England
I was waiting, in my house, and checked the Track Shipment and noticed that 10 minutes prior, FedEX had noted that I wasn't home and didn't deliver!!! I called FedEX and she told me they had now way to get ahold of the driver, since that station was closed. I called Apple and complained and they gave me a $50 credit on my Imac order. Still irritated at FedEx. They guy just wanted to go home.

Its not personal, who knows whats happened maybe the driver had some bad news, maybe he was ill? You know what what with all the crap thats going on in the world does one more day really matter....can you really not wait a little longer for your "precious"?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Not saying this happened but maybe he knocked on your door and you didn't hear him. I live in a small apartment and unless it's dead silent in my house I need to be standing near my front door in order to hear someone knocking.

The other alternative you have is to pick it up yourself on the same day. When you called the dispatch you could've told them to hold it at the local facility (which is what they are going to do anyway until the next delivery attempt) rather than attempt at another delivery next day. You can still call them back and tell them you'll pick it up at the local FedEx facility today.
Don't take this the wrong way but you unfoundedly faulted Apple. It wasn't their fault, it was Fedex's if the guy didn't really show up. You got $50 out of it from Apple when they really didn't owe it to you.

Chris64tx

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2012
Houston, Tx.
No!!! FedEx drivers are known to do this. I have had it happened to me on several occasions. I dread it when vendors use them. I prefer USPS or UPS.

Its not personal, who knows whats happened maybe the driver had some bad news, maybe he was ill? You know what what with all the crap thats going on in the world does one more day really matter....can you really not wait a little longer for your "precious"?

cfenoglio

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
Opposite

FedEx had mine for a Tuesday from the very first status, even up to the Monday they notified me I missed the delivery. I had made arrangments to be off on Tuesday.

Anyway, works great.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
First, I contacted Apple after FedEx told me that had no way of contacting the driver or dispatch. My office is 20 feet from my open garage doors. If FedEX had actually attempted to deliver and I "wasn't home", I would have had a notice on my door. I had no notice. I was very nice to Apple and prefaced my remarks with acknowledgement that it wasn't their fault. And no, it was not my error, it was a lazy or incompetent driver. I plan on speaking to his dispatcher in the morning.

Not saying this happened but maybe he knocked on your door and you didn't hear him. I live in a small apartment and unless it's dead silent in my house I need to be standing near my front door in order to hear someone knocking.

The other alternative you have is to pick it up yourself on the same day. When you called the dispatch you could've told them to hold it at the local facility (which is what they are going to do anyway until the next delivery attempt) rather than attempt at another delivery next day. You can still call them back and tell them you'll pick it up at the local FedEx facility today.
Don't take this the wrong way but you unfoundedly faulted Apple. It wasn't their fault, it was Fedex's if the guy didn't really show up. You got $50 out of it from Apple when they really didn't owe it to you.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
First, I contacted Apple after FedEx told me that had no way of contacting the driver or dispatch. My office is 20 feet from my open garage doors. If FedEX had actually attempted to deliver and I "wasn't home", I would have had a notice on my door. I had no notice. I was very nice to Apple and prefaced my remarks with acknowledgement that it wasn't their fault. And no, it was not my error, it was a lazy or incompetent driver. I plan on speaking to his dispatcher in the morning.

Gotcha wholeheartedly. Let's look at the bigger and more important picture. You want your iMac today right? Call the dispatcher, (as I recommended earlier) tell them to hold it at the facility and go pick it up tonight. Yes, the driver screwed up. Speaking to the driver's dispatcher is gonna get you this response, "Sir, we at Fedex deeply apologize and we will speak to the driver about this, dadadadada". At the end of the day it's not really going to help you as you really don't know why the driver didn't show up. Just go get your iMac tonight and enjoy your evening. :)

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California

If its your job you do the work without complaints, period.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
If its your job you do the work without complaints, period.

Yes never get sick make sure you never have family problems be a machine. Lol get a life buddy ever think the world isn't revolving around you? Funny op says he took day off to wait for his iMac maybe driver saw his was on the way and went home to get it. Karma is kinda funny sometimes.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I would be sympathetic to the driver but I have had nothing but problems with the fedex guy that comes to my home. at least 3 times now ive heard the guy knock and the amount of time it took me to walk down the stairs and he was already driving away. The guy didnt even give me time to answer. They pressure the drivers so much to hurry up they dont bother waiting for you to answer.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
Yes never get sick make sure you never have family problems be a machine. Lol get a life buddy ever think the world isn't revolving around you? Funny op says he took day off to wait for his iMac maybe driver saw his was on the way and went home to get it. Karma is kinda funny sometimes.

It's called don't lie and mark the status as nobody home. Stuff happens but I have had this happen before from FedEx and ups where they mark nobody was home but really they were just too lazy to finish their shift.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011

Usually I am totally against all the cry baby whining that this site brings out in people, but this case is different and you're wrong.

FedEx have a job that they get paid to do. They should do it. They notoriously leave before even ringing peoples bells all the time. What the reason is, is not the consumers issue. Sure, things happen, but in those events, the driver should have things covered on his end. If he had an emergency or something to take care of, I am sure FedEx's policy would not be to tell him to just leave notes on everyone's house and don't deliver the packages.

Also, the OP said he took a day off work. He lost money in that scenario as well. And now will possibly have to take more time off.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
It's FedEx. I posted elsewhere but in 10 years or so, not a single driver has ever delivered what they're supposed to. They love marking me as not home. Always ends up with me hopping in a cab to the distribution center and picking it up myself. Complain to FedEx before Apple, though since the two have nothing to do with each others day to day operations.

Aug 26, 2008
This has happened to me so many times...I too have taken days off work to receive important, and expensive, packages, and then not even a delivery attempt. Then they mark you as not being home! Completely infuriating not to mention totally unprofessional.

To those saying the OP is whining, or "first world problems", may I suggest you get over yourself? My guess is anyone taking this stance is a low pay grunt worker somewhere that takes no skill. That kind of thing just does not fly in the real adult world. You get paid to do a job, you better do it and do it well or your butt is on the street. The fact that FedEx is regularly pulling this stunt should be national news if you ask me. How can these people be trusted to do ANYTHING?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
No!!! FedEx drivers are known to do this. I have had it happened to me on several occasions. I dread it when vendors use them. I prefer USPS or UPS.

I've had this happen to me several times, too. It always drives me nuts. Not had it happen with FedEx, but with UPS - definitely.

large farva

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
Melbourne, FL

I don't know what karma has to do with it. When the OP took the day off, he probably did it properly, notifying his boss, making arrangements, or what have you. Though don't get me wrong, I can't say for sure he did, because well, I'm not him. But that is the norm, to inform your boss or make arrangements. Not drive by a place, not even stop and just mark it as "no-one home". Yes, something could have happened, the drive could have suddenly got a tummy ache, or a headache. I mean, I work through being ill, but that doesn't mean other people have the work ethics to do so also. OR, something serious could have happened. In which case, proper procedure would have been for the driver to, like I said before, notify his superiors, or dispatch, whoever. Then they would have been able to make arrangements for another driver to complete that driver's route. Rather than just stiffing a whole bunch of people because he had to take a poop. This is precisely why whenever I have a delivery, I always make sure that if I wasn't able to have it held at the facility before going on the truck for delivery, I'm sure that I'm home at the time when FedEx or UPS usually shows up. Though with UPS it can be a bit of a pain because they will tend to show up at all hours of the day, any time between 11:00am and 6:30pm, but with UPS I usually have the shipment held at the facility before it goes out with my "MyUPS" account. Luckily the type of work I do allows me to work around stuff like this as I'm pretty much have no boss. I never have any problems with my UPS or FedEx drivers just driving by, but you can be sure that on my iMac's delivery date, I'm going to be in the driveway in a lawnchair with a cooler full of pepsi. Waiting....

----------

I've had this happen to me several times, too. It always drives me nuts. Not had it happen with FedEx, but with UPS - definitely.

UPS tends to be a little more care free around here. Especially with letting packages getting dinged up. Hell, it's actually seemed a couple times, that if you put a "FRAGILE" label or fragile label shipping tape on the box, they use the thing for soccer practice. The worst thing I've had happen with either of these two companies was definitely with UPS. I was outside by change and I saw the UPS truck just drive by. So I got on my phone and checked my UPS app and it showed that the item was marked as DELIVERED. So I wondered what the hell was going on. I called UPS, and while I was talking to his boss, because I have the number for the local operating facility, a guy from a street over walked up to my house with my package in his hands. Thank God for honest people or he would have had himself a free item, until the UPS driver was able to recall where he dropped it off at least. The street names were no where NEAR similar, and the house numbers were totally different. I was shocked at how a driver could make such a stupid mistake.

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
Just wanna share that FedEx can be complete liars at times. This has happened to me with a parcel none Apple related and they had claimed they came to my Apt but I wasn't there and then when I went down to the FedEx location they tried telling me my unit number wasn't on the address. When they handed me my parcel I pointed out to them that you first said you folks made a delivery attempt but I wasn't there, now you're saying my unit number wasn't on the parcel. I handed my parcel back to the clerk and said can you see if my unit number is there? Because if you can't you must be blind, stupid, and or ain't be fully honest about a delivery attempt being made cause I was home the entire day expecting this parcel. I also live where I can see every vehicle coming up my street and there was not a single FedEx vehicle in my area. Tell me, do you still wanna be dishonest and lie about a delivery attempt being made, I asked her? then she started to apologize and blah blah. Honestly FedEx can go ***** themselves. They have already been on the news multiple times with people video taping them mishandling packages and having multiple problems with them. Too bad when you consider the USPS is cheaper and a lot of times a lot safer.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Fortunately I don't ever use FedEx by choice, and they did actually ring my bell and deliver while I was home waiting for my 2011 iMac. But they have indeed stiffed me by not attempting delivery from other vendors on a few occasions.

There is enough anecdotal evidence to convince me that this problem is systemic with FedEx. My gut feel is that most delivery drivers are nice folks who try to please the customer. All of the UPS drivers I've dealt with, for example, fall into this category. And since FedEx is hiring from the same labor pool, I wouldn't assume that they just hire the "bad guys". Instead, I'm guessing that their sub-par performance is related to some kind of management-imposed pressure such as an expectation of too many deliveries per carrier per day or an inappropriate metric on the drivers' performance evaluations. For some reason, the drivers are being incentivized to give poor customer service.

If this is true, then it is entirely appropriate to let Apple know about it! After all, Apple selected FedEx for their delivery service - they don't give us a choice about it. Poor performance by FedEx reflects badly on Apple. Apple is ultimately responsible for fixing this problem - either by forcing FedEx to fix it or by switching to another delivery service.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
If they didn't actually come to your house and said you weren't home and it was their first delivery attempt then that's messed up. Unless they did ring, and you didn't hear it for some reason.

If the driver had an emergency, (i.e. flat tire, engine problems, accident, medical issue, sharted, etc), they should have put delivery date rescheduled. Most delivery dates are estimates, not promises. Unless they pay for delivery by a certain time and date.

laryenhilllvr

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
NYC
The worst thing I've had happen with either of these two companies was definitely with UPS. I was outside by change and I saw the UPS truck just drive by. So I got on my phone and checked my UPS app and it showed that the item was marked as DELIVERED. So I wondered what the hell was going on. I called UPS, and while I was talking to his boss, because I have the number for the local operating facility, a guy from a street over walked up to my house with my package in his hands. Thank God for honest people or he would have had himself a free item, until the UPS driver was able to recall where he dropped it off at least. The street names were no where NEAR similar, and the house numbers were totally different. I was shocked at how a driver could make such a stupid mistake.

i've had the exact same thing happen to me several times actually. it's quite agrivating and bit unnerving when your package, especially if it is expensive, has been delivered to someone else. once i had a rather expensive pair of shoes shipped to me and they let a complete stranger with a completely different address on a completely different street sign for my package. needless to say i was livid. i asked the representative on the phone to call the driver and get the address and name of the person they delivered it to, but he gave me some cock and bull story about the drivers not having company phones and having to use their personal phones to discuss work. when i asked if he was willing to take responsibility for a $1k claim due to neglicence he quickly put me on hold and called the driver. ever since then i contact the seller and try to have them ship through fedex instead.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I can, it's fairly standard to give credit for this sort of thing. The money is for wasting your time since you have to wait at home for these things. Most companies have a 'day rate' for it.

Yes, for items in their control. Shipping by agreed upon date for example. Once it is in another company's hands (i.e. the shipping company), I have never heard of a "day rate". Generally speaking, they have legalese on their sites stating they have no control of delivery once shipped.

In fact, here I even found it: http://store.apple.com/us/open/salespolicies Look for "shipping policies" section...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.