Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Is the Ponemon Institute a widely respected/trusted institute? I've never head d them before.

Everyones heard of Ponemon ;-)

ponemon.png

Last edited:

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
Could you explain how they will be affected? Serious question.

Don't worry about it, when it happens you'll know. But you'll be in a boat with so many millions of others that knowing still won't make you care.

Just relax and go back to your content consumption with the other sheeple.

----------

Show me a person that trusts a company, I'll show you a world-class moron.

rmwebs on reply number 7.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Really? And they surveyed people about the companies and their apparent privacy, not their security.

And at the bottom of the list are Tagged, ShoppyBag, Zorpia, LinkedIn and all the other email scammers who have stolen contacts and then sent email as though they came from those contacts. It amazes me that these companies are still doing business. So much for an ivy-league education.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
So stupid. I don't know why people fear anonymous data collection when it's used for targeted marketing. I'd rather see ads and content relevant to my interests and activities than generic crap like when I watch TV commercials. Amazon does this quite well.

weezor

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2012
Although I guess it was only recently that Google started regularly having pop ups saying "Hey! Tell us where you are!". Wow, couldn't be attacking my privacy any more blatantly than that... how about you accept the fact that I'm intentionally not sharing and just shut up?

And their annoying data collecting popups don't even have a X or cancel button. A couple of days ago they asked me for my real name on youtube and the only way out was closing the whole page.
Added to this, there is no way to stay logged into youtube and not be logged in on google search as well. I don't want all my data from both of the biggest internet resources do be associated with each other.

At the end of the day not a single one of them uses identifiable information

Sure about that? I bet this whole google AdSense stuff is linked to our google accounts as well. Which means there is absolutely no anonymity whatsoever, no matter where we surf. Google ads are everywhere.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Oh for craps sake people - this is all about perception. It's not that people trust google or X company more. This just ranks the top 20 companies overall. Has anyone looked at the list?

Stop acting like people are saying they don't TRUST Apple - that's not what is being said.

Apple doesn't have to be #1 at everything or on every list. Wow.

Microsoft (ranked 17),
United Healthcare (ranked 18) and
Mozilla (ranked 20).

Microsofts first appearance in the 7 years of polling
Apple wasn't on the list for the first 3 years

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, so what?

ConsiderPhlebas

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2011
SC, US
oh shiiii better stop using my MAC! Someone might find out my first name then all hell is gonna break loose! I hope my neighbour who I dislike doesn't give away my address, phone number, DOB, visual description, likes/dislikes, biography, photos of my home, rock samples from my driveway!!!

You can start to see how Apple finding out that I visited Facebook, macrumors etc doesn't really matter if you take a step back and think like someone with intelligence. After all they are using the meaningless info to make our lives better so stop whining.

PS. Apple knows my first and last name as well as my address, phone number, credit card number etc because I ordered my mac online. So yeh.

Its not the fact that Apple has this information, it's who the hell else they give or sell it to.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Overall I think Apple does a pretty good job of privacy.

But, because Apple is a very visible company, the media will jump on any privacy mis-steps and get bought to the public attention very effectively.

Last edited:

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
The stock went up 2 days in a row, they had to come up with something to break the rally.

JohnStrass

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Miami, USA
Lets see who IS on the "good" list

Is the Ponemon Institute a widely respected/trusted institute? I've never head d them before.

from the report "...American Express (AMEX) continues to reign as the most trusted company for privacy among 217 organizations rated in our most trusted companies list....."

Are you kidding me. Amex? The credit card company that became a bank to scam money from the government "bank" bailout? The one that has records of every purchase I've made in the last 5 years?

Yikes. If AMEX is the "most trusted" then all is lost

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The stock went up 2 days in a row, they had to come up with something to break the rally.

Take off your tin foil hat. It's an annual report. And it was a survey. The survey itself doesn't slam or comment on Apple's omission from the list.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
So much for doubling down security

That was said about product manufacturing security to prevent leaks. This is a survey about people opinion of how the companies protect their privacy. Nothing to do with each other.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Take off your tin foil hat. It's an annual report. And it was a survey. The survey itself doesn't slam or comment on Apple's omission from the list.

Lol, a company that measures people's "perception" of privacy. Who funds these people?

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Those people who always use REAL details, and also enter ALL REAL details are gonna be the ones affected. Not me :)

No one is getting affected. It is a SURVEY of user's perception not a privacy audit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.