Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
California
For those saying that it should be called the iPhone X where X represents what generation it is, no. Windows 7 is NOT the seventh generation of Windows and it runs on kernel 6.1

Different companies, same concept. And for those wondering where 5 came from, look what integer comes after 4 on a number line.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
For those saying that it should be called the iPhone X where X represents what generation it is, no. Windows 7 is NOT the seventh generation of Windows and it runs on kernel 6.1

Different companies, same concept. And for those wondering where 5 came from, look what integer comes after 4 on a number line.

Wouldn't it have made a lot more sense to just call the 4S the 5 and the 5 the 6?

We're going to end up with the 16th iPhone being called the iPhone 8 or something!

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
This ongoing and rather bizarre obsession around model names is totally irrelevant.

Oh, there have been things more bizarre... ;) People returning their rMBP before they even turn it on because it has a LG screen... People exchanging their iPhones over and over again at the store because they can't decide on what colour they want... Only at MacRumors :D

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Oh, there have been things more bizarre... ;) People returning their rMBP before they even turn it on because it has a LG screen... People exchanging their iPhones over and over again at the store because they can't decide on what colour they want... Only at MacRumors :D

True. That's why some people think Mac users are a bit odd. Apple is a very polarizing company. :)

----------

Wouldn't it have made a lot more sense to just call the 4S the 5 and the 5 the 6?

We're going to end up with the 16th iPhone being called the iPhone 8 or something!

But Apples never been about logic :D

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
"Hey JD, what do you think the new iPhone will be called?"

2426873_o.gif

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Good to see it's impossible to have an intelligent discussion on Macrumors without being overrun by trolls seeking attention :rolleyes:

bhill0821

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2012
I have to say this is such a stupid topic! Be happy with what you got, iPhone 5 here and I love it from the iPhone 4s!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Good to see it's impossible to have an intelligent discussion on Macrumors without being overrun by trolls seeking attention :rolleyes:

I'll say something intelligent <boring!>

REWIND 2007. Nobody knew Apple was going to call the first Apple's phone, the iPHONE, it just that the rumor was going around for so long, IPHONE was pretty much what everybody expected Apple to name it, anything else would be a let down. At the last minute we found out the networking company Cisco had a copyright on "iPhone" so everybody wondered, OMG, is Cisco going to make Apple pay major$$$ for right to the name??? Is Apple going to pay? The waiting was suspenseful, and I still await the true story how much Apple paid for iPHONE.

The remaining thing with a little bit of interest about the name is... what Apple is going to call the much rumored, but not 100% denied, cheapER Apple phone for developing countries?

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
what do you guys think the next iPhone will be called?

I think they will release two phones this year. One will be called the iPhone 5S, one will be the iPhone 8. Reasons why it'll be 8:

1) It's the 8th generation iPhone
2) 8 is 4*2, and 4 was the last really major iPhone release. This sort of emphasizes that the 8 will be the true sequel to the iPhone 4
3) It will help to differentiate the two models (5S and 8)

I also think there's an outside shot Apple might call the 5S the 5GS instead, if it includes LTE-Advanced support.

you need some serious help in your life

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

I have only been around since the 4, so do these questions come up every year? It will either be just iPhone or iPhone 5s, with the outside shot of them skipping the s version and going right to 6.

There is no chance the next one will be the iPhone 8.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT

There was no need to start a new thread on this TIRED subject. It's an old discussion that already have dozens of threads dedicated to it. But since we are discussing old subjects.....

Who do you guys think shot JR?

Last edited:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
How long and how many releases is it going to take you guys to get over the fact that Apple does not name their phones according to generation?

Same common sense (obviously lacking in the OP) applies to this: Everyone on the planet would be asking "what happened to the iPhone SIX and the iPhone SEVEN" rather than focusing on the iPhone 8. It would be a marketing catastrophe.

Next!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.