Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tanyia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Hi,

I recently started using Maya on Mac OSX, after having always used it on Linux at work, and I'm really baffled by the child windows behavior (think Hypershade, Graph Editor, Script Editor, etc...)

The shortcut Cmd+~ does switch focus, but they stay on top of the main one. That means that if I opened one of these, but need to work in the main maya window, I need to click on the minimize button (because Cmd+M doesn't work on these!!!), and I need to click in the dock to recall them...

Surely I must have missed something, didn't I? Is there a way to ensure the child windows are hidden by the main window when I switch focus using Cmd+~?

Cheers,
Tan

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I have that issue too. The other thing is that if I put Maya into fullscreen with SIMBL, Hypershade and everything else opens that way too. They coded it for multiple displays in mind.

tanyia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
But even with two screen in mind, there is no really any reason for that behavior, isn't it? There is no way around it? Because I can't understand how anyone could use Maya on Mac with one screen to work....

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
But even with two screen in mind, there is no really any reason for that behavior, isn't it? There is no way around it? Because I can't understand how anyone could use Maya on Mac with one screen to work....

The Mac OS UI seems to work like this in general. Now just looking at how the Fonts and text color boxes stay open above the TextEdit window too. My Channel Box is stuck above Safari too after I detached it.

I'm still too new to Maya to really understand its ins and outs. But when most of us here run into application problems on OS X, we usually just end up dual booting Linux/Windows. So if you can, and feel comfortable with it, installing Linux would work in this instance.

tanyia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Mmm you may be right... I was comparing this to the default behavior of Firefox and Safari, where switching focus between the different windows within the application makes them go in the background as expected!

Sadly, I'm using Maya to develop some 3D rendering code/software, and MacOS seemed to be a good compromise... Windows is a no go for me when it comes to dev, and Linux was the extreme of the other side ^^

Thanks for your help though :)

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Its been like that for years.

I can only avoid the mess by using dual displays :p

However, I dont use it on the Mac as much these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.