Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Surprised theres not more noise about this; starting today Google is not supporting active sync, which means setting up gmail through exchange on iOS to get push gmail is no longer available. Sure its there for existing users but it looks like if you buy a new device in the future you're out of luck. Assume its the same for iOS upgrades if you do a full wipe, so people who like to do that are out of luck too.

Sure you can use the gmail app i guess but it means you dont get a unified inbox and for those who hate the gmail interface (like i do) it really sucks!!

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I feel bad too. I have all my contacts, calendar entries on google. Not to mention google drive (has saved my beef in times). I don't know what to do my self, if to just get an android device or find lternatives.

Currently my gmail is set up as EAS (exchange active sun), and the only way I can see all my contact and calendar entries is via active sync. If God forbids and something happens to my iPhone, I'll be SOL.

In the mean time I will begin migrating all my calendar entries to icloud until I'm able to find an alternate solution.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
I feel bad too. I have all my contacts, calendar entries on google. Not to mention google drive (has saved my beef in times). I don't know what to do my self, if to just get an android device or find lternatives.

Currently my gmail is set up as EAS (exchange active sun), and the only way I can see all my contact and calendar entries is via active sync. If God forbids and something happens to my iPhone, I'll be SOL.

In the mean time I will begin migrating all my calendar entries to icloud until I'm able to find an alternate solution.

Hotmail uses exchange active synch. No issues with using push email for hotmail (or outlook mail) whatever they want to call it now.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
I cannot search for emails on the server when it's setup through gmail active sync. Do you guys have that issue? That's why I've been using IMAP instead.

bloutrein

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Durban
I exclusively and only use the Gmail app which delivers push notifications upon new email and features a Gmail-like inbox environment. So I guess, I don't need to set up Exchange on my iPhone when it comes to mail.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Fetch is at least 15 minutes. Push is immediate. Depends on how important you are (or think you are)!!!

I never noticed the difference. So, I'm assuming Google is trying to make iPhone users switch to Android?

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
I never noticed the difference. So, I'm assuming Google is trying to make iPhone users switch to Android?

Acutally there is one big difference, which can be annoying if you have multiple iOS devices (i.e. ipad and iphone).

For instance, with active synch, exchange, you get an email pushed to you on your gmail account (or hotmail or work/exchange). You then delete it.

With push/active synch, that email is then deleted across all your devices and everything matches everywhere automatically in your inbox. With fetch though, that same email stays on your other devices.

It can be rather annoying to have to delete the same email across multiple devices. If you have only one "i" device, maybe not a big deal.

----------

As you've said, existing users won't see a difference, so there's not going to be much to talk about.

If they have mulitiple devices they will see a difference. Push/active synch maintains consistency automatically across multiple devices for your inbox.

Othewise, you delete an email on your iphone and it still is in your inbox on your ipad. Can be very very annoying.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
So if I have gmail set up as an exchange on my iPad and iPhone, I will still get my push emails. But if I restore my device and need to set up my email again, it won't work? I only have it pushing emails. It's not set up for calendar or contacts. or is this for existing accounts that have it...not just newly made ones.

Last edited:

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
I'm not very savvy apparently so this might be a stupid question - but is this affecting just those who tap "Exchange" when setting up email or does it affect those who tap "Gmail" to set up their email?

Acutally there is one big difference, which can be annoying if you have multiple iOS devices (i.e. ipad and iphone).

For instance, with active synch, exchange, you get an email pushed to you on your gmail account (or hotmail or work/exchange). You then delete it.

With push/active synch, that email is then deleted across all your devices and everything matches everywhere automatically in your inbox. With fetch though, that same email stays on your other devices.

It can be rather annoying to have to delete the same email across multiple devices. If you have only one "i" device, maybe not a big deal.

----------

If they have mulitiple devices they will see a difference. Push/active synch maintains consistency automatically across multiple devices for your inbox.

Othewise, you delete an email on your iphone and it still is in your inbox on your ipad. Can be very very annoying.

Ugh. I have a Touch coming today and will be restoring from a recent backup. Since I bounce back and forth with my iPad, this looks to be an annoying wrinkle.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I'm not very savvy apparently so this might be a stupid question - but is this affecting just those who tap "Exchange" when setting up email or does it affect those who tap "Gmail" to set up their email?

It only affects people who set up Gmail as "Exchange." Setting up using "Gmail" in the iOS mail app uses IMAP, which is still supported.

----------

Well, of course they'd rather you use Android. :) But the reason is more a business decision. ActiveSync is a proprietary standard that costs money to license. Doesn't make sense for Google to pay licenses to Microsoft for e-mail accounts it's giving away from free.

Note that Exchange ActiveSync WILL still work on paid Google accounts. Because again, Google is making money off those accounts, so it makes a little bit of sense to keep paying licensing fees for them.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I assume if I have to replace to another iOS device, setting up gmail as exchange will not bring back all my contacts & calendar entries.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
If they have mulitiple devices they will see a difference.

That's not what I meant.

Millions of people already have Exchange ActiveSync set up with their free Google Account. Unless those people get a new device, nothing will change. There wasn't going to be a sudden influx of people asking about why something has suddenly changed today.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
That's not what I meant.

Millions of people already have Exchange ActiveSync set up with their free Google Account. Unless those people get a new device, nothing will change. There wasn't going to be a sudden influx of people asking about why something has suddenly changed today.

What if we restore as new? We are screwed?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
What if we restore as new? We are screwed?

I don't think so.

The iPhone uses its serial number as a unique identifier in Exchange ActiveSync systems.

That wouldn't change when you restore your device, so it should continue to work.

We don't really know how Google is/will be stopping people adding new devices.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I don't think so.

The iPhone uses its serial number as a unique identifier in Exchange ActiveSync systems.

That wouldn't change when you restore your device, so it should continue to work.

We don't really know how Google is/will be stopping people adding new devices.

I sure hope that's right.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Whne you look at the big picture it seems that Android and Apple are starting to build Silos around them, excluding things they allowed in the past, which means if they make it painful to share services users will either go all iOS or go all Android. With them not even supporting Microsoft, just shows that Android does not want to participate with MS, and I hope MS does the same, although this is not good for MS who is trying to attract customers to their platform.

I think eventually Apple will not support Android stuff inside iOS, but instead make you use apps to utilize Google account stuff like, email, cal and contacts as well as other services, and I see Google doing the same.

The big question is how will BB and MS survive since their eco system is not as strong as Apple or Google

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.