Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Does anybody here have experience changing their last name? I've been thinking about doing this because I don't like the one I currently have. I know that it's probably going to be a headache. I've been thinking about changing it back to the name of the first person in my family lineage to immigrate to America. I think it would be pretty cool.

Any experience with this? Did you find it worthwhile or more trouble than it's worth?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
It probably depends on location, so if you do have experience with it please indicate where it was.

I suspect that given that married women do it often enough it really can't be all that difficult.

I don't have direct experience myself, but a friend and his wife did by combining their surnames into a new one without doing the whole hyphen thing.

B

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I don't know if its different for when women get married and generally take a new name. My wife finally changed hers recently, and it wasn't that hard. A lot of forms and stuff, but nothing you wouldn't expect. She used some website that helped with all the forms, but I'm away from home right now and don't know what it was.

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
Does anybody here have experience changing their last name? I've been thinking about doing this because I don't like the one I currently have. I know that it's probably going to be a headache. I've been thinking about changing it back to the name of the first person in my family lineage to immigrate to America. I think it would be pretty cool.

Any experience with this? Did you find it worthwhile or more trouble than it's worth?

You go to court and change it. You don't need a lawyer to handle the myriad of paperwork - but it helps.

The downside is your history with credit etc...it takes a while to get it switched over. And new credit (like buying a car) is sometimes difficult as your old name will populate the credit reporting while the new name will climb slowly. But in the scheme of things - it is like a name change when you get married.

With that said - why legal change it...why not just change it amount you and your friends.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The cost might be a bigger problem than the hassle.

I am not from the US, I tried to change my name as well, I have 4 christian names, two middle ones and a surname and it's a pain in the behind in the immigration where I live now.
BUT, it would cost me 5000 Euro, no way I am going to pay that much.

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States

I am not from the US, I tried to change my name as well, I have 4 christian names, two middle ones and a surname and it's a pain in the behind in the immigration where I live now.

Wow that's a lot of money.

I don't think it costs nearly that much here in the U.S..

I'm in Ohio, from what I've seen you pretty much show up in court and as long as you aren't doing it for fradualent purposes (which I'm not) than it's no problem fill out the paperwork.

But obviously that's way easier said than done. I'm still young too. I have good credit and it's been building for awhile now. That's the kind of stuff I'm worried about. Or getting it changed through the university and whatnot.

I don't want to do it among friends because that kind of makes it seem less legitimate to me. I would want it to be official and final.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

That figure is completely out of the realm of reasonable. It's just a couple of forms and some info typed into a data base. I assume it would be on the individual to contact his creditors and such, shoot them the certificate advising of the new name and that is it.

I wonder if there is a concern that name changing might be used as a vehicle to ditch one's old debts?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Changing your name should not change your SSN, so why would it have an impact on credit stuff? Again women who marry do this often. No?

It just adds an a.k.a. Married couples who don't share a last name end up with a similar problem. Mr. Wifeslastname and Mrs. Husbandslastname aren't legal names, but show up in credit searches.

B

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Changing your name should not change your SSN, so why would it have an impact on credit stuff? Again women who marry do this often. No?

It just adds an a.k.a. Married couples who don't share a last name end up with a similar problem. Mr. Wifeslastname and Mrs. Husbandslastname aren't legal names, but show up in credit searches.

B

Well idk about it changing the SSN, but you do have your SSN tied to your name, so would your SSN not change and they would just send you a new card with your new name on it?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

B

It does not have any long term effects on your credit history. It often does have short term issues as things get repopulated with the correct information.

It mostly an issue while you are in the lag time between it getting updated.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
It does not have any long term effects on your credit history. It often does have short term issues as things get repopulated with the correct information.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't change my name if I was about to (few months) apply for a home loan or anything major like that.

B

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Yeah I would definitely do everything I could to make sure that kind of thing didn't happen.

I guess now I have some reservations about doing it, mainly having to deal with people asking why, or maybe my parents wondering what has got into me.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Yeah I would definitely do everything I could to make sure that kind of thing didn't happen.

I guess now I have some reservations about doing it, mainly having to deal with people asking why, or maybe my parents wondering what has got into me.

I never pegged you as one to give a flip about what others thought...:p

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
had a family member do it due to divorce. she went through about 4-6 months worth of paper work, at not much cost, and has been really happy with the change. she also went with a 'first generation' last name. she says '2 thumbs up'.

when my wife and i got married, we both kept our own names because my wife would have needed to spend a crazy amount of time/money to fix/correct license/legal/documents. as a compromise, our two boys have her last name as their middle name, and my last name because that's how the US system is setup. works well so far. best of luck.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Name changes only cost around 15 dollars in the UK, done in a day. From your comments there seems to be some stigma behind it in the States, or maybe you're just overplaying it in your head. Maybe name changes are more common here. People simply do it because they don't like their name..

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I suspect that given that married women do it often enough it really can't be all that difficult.

Unfortunately the laws in many places make it easier for married women to change their last names compared to any other case.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Couple of other things to keep in mind, in terms of keeping ID up to date.

Your birth certificate will be in your old name. If you ever apply for something that needs a birth certificate you will also need to include the name change. But... just to get a up-to-date copy of your birth certificate you have a whole other section of a form to fill out if you have changed your name. After you change your name, my suggestion is to apply for a new birth certificate before you need it to avoid processing delays.

Don't forget your passport. If you have one, remember to change it. If you don't have one, well - you are going to need a birth certificate.... see above.

Same thing for any marriage licenses, etc.

School transcripts as well.

Keep in mind that applying for copies of some of these documents under a new name may delay the processing, so you may want to get them now. It can be done... but there is more paperwork for you and for them so that can slow things done.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Name changes only cost around 15 dollars in the UK, done in a day. From your comments there seems to be some stigma behind it in the States, or maybe you're just overplaying it in your head. Maybe name changes are more common here. People simply do it because they don't like their name..

You don't have to pay at all in the UK. Not for the name change itself anyway. There's a website which sells deed polls for around £25 a pop and while they do work, you can find free templates online to fill out which are just as valid. In the UK you just draw up the document, sign it, get an independent witness to sign it, then print off multiple copies and send them to your bank, the tax man, etc. and you're sorted.

The only expensive bit is if you want to renew your passport with your new name straight away since you have to pay around £80 for new passports. Same might go for driving licenses.

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
My name was legally changed (by the Ontario/Canadian government) when I was adopted... I have no idea what my original name was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.