Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I think on the whole Google and Apple aren't too bad... However personally I would have Facebook permanently placed at the bottom of this list forever, seeing as its the most untrustworthy company with YOUR data on the planet!!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This is only about 'public perception' though. Hardly surprising that any big Tech Co could even be on that list.
"The nature of the beast" that is a 'connected' world.

Especially Apple, given all the negative hyping of stuff for hit fodder. I'd say that they are at 21 is something to be proud of

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Strange, how did Mozilla get to be #20? I mean... what average consumer would know and name 'Mozilla' as one of their top choices?

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
A lot of people have different priorities than you.

Personally, I don't need targeted advertising to tell me what I want. I'm perfectly capable of deciding that for myself. When I want something I can search for it, and don't need it appearing on every website and email I see. Knowing that most or all of my information (even anonymous information) is kept private (or as close as possible) is well worth the small inconvenience of searching directly for what I already know I want.

I know what I want to and would rather see ads relevant to things I like. You like irrelevant ads for stuff you don't have any interest in?

You information is anonymous and kept private within the companies who re-target you. If you do searches in Google, you are going to get ads on websites via AdWords (text and display) relevant to what you search on Google. You don't really have a choice to avoid re-targeting unless you are constantly going in and out of incognito-type windows and never signing into anything.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Clearly they thought the sheet said Godzilla. And who doesn't trust Godzilla?

haha.. :)

I read further down in the methodology... they took all the initial responses, placed the companies with over 20 responses on a list, then asked respondents to rank the companies on the list.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
haha.. :)

I read further down in the methodology... they took all the initial responses, placed the companies with over 20 responses on a list, then asked respondents to rank the companies on the list.

You realize that the second you READ the actual report - you entered into the minority here, right? ;)

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

So we're at the same point. You still cant answer my question. So let me keep this as dumbed down as I possibly can, and you just give me an answer, and if you're going to make a claim, back it up with proof. I'll even highlight the key part of the question in red for you.

Right, here we go:

Lets say Google knows you visited a bunch of sites on Tennis, keeping with my original example.

Can you provide any evidence to suggest that your personal information is sold on, or given to another company?

I'll say it again the NON-IDENTIFIABLE information is used to show adverts which are placed based on keywords. This isnt complicated stuff, it's obvious.

It's all well and good you slagging off Google PR, and making claims, but not a single person has backed said claims up with proof that their information has been sold to anyone. It's a load of bollocks that Google haters make up.

And news flash. Apple collect the same information every time you download an app, song, etc and run them. Can we therefor declare that Apple sell that information on?

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
And yet another thread will devolve into Apple vs Google.

[blah blah blah]

Why people want to get bent out of shape because of this report is astounding.

Just you. You have failed in your attempts to incite a rebellion.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
You've never been to Austin, have you? It's a liberal town that caters to big business. As a result, Austin is consistently the fastest growing city in the country with the best job market. Lots of California license plates from people moving out of your sorry state here.

I defend corporations as they have the right to make money at all costs and i trust them to do that and only that. That's why they exist. Unless the government forces a company to keep information private, I believe any corporation will sell information for money.

Also, don't give me that stereotype Texas-y garbage, I'm an Italian American from Chicago.

There are two cities in the middle states that I consider islands of sanity, Denver and Austin. Austin may be a liberal city but you sound like a conservative living there. And please, take all the conservatives leaving California off our hands.

So you think it's just fine for a corporation to pollute our environment, deceive customers, pay low and unlivable wages, offshore jobs, break laws, sell information, and countless evil practices that I can keep naming to simply to make a buck? The problem is exactly that, we the people have such a weak and corrupt government. The politicians running it are in the back pockets of these corporations that they get away with their shady business practices.

Well you left Chicago and went to Texas and seem to be proud of it. Obviously, we know where your heart is.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Sure are a lot of people here who seem to believe every conspiracy out there.

If these companies were so public about your information then we would hear on the news every minute of every day of someone else's identity being "stolen" or how someones Credit Card was stolen.

I'm not saying just give everything away to everyone that asks but yea I mean these big companies are just giving everything away and your information is going to be used very soon. Y'all are all screwed.... [/sarcasm]

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
And news flash. Apple collect the same information every time you download an app, song, etc and run them. Can we therefor declare that Apple sell that information on?

iAds works the same way. It seems like people want to slam Google for what? Being more successful than Apple at being able to collect data?

Apple (with iAds) wishes it could be as much of a revenue stream. If anyone here thinks that iAds was launched with any other intention - please, do elaborate on your premise...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Just you. You have failed in your attempts to incite a rebellion.

Wrong. Completely. Just look at this thread. I think it's hilarious actually. People are so bent out of shape because Apple isn't on this list. And rather than just say " so what" - they are trying to marginalize the research, say "but but google...but but facebook..."

Nonsense.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
iAds works the same way. It seems like people want to slam Google for what? Being more successful than Apple at being able to collect data?

Apple (with iAds) wishes it could be as much of a revenue stream. If anyone here thinks that iAds was launched with any other intention - please, do elaborate on your premise...
Yeah thats what I dont quite get. People have this delusion that Google is bad because they did exactly the same thing as Apple, Microsoft, Viglink, Skimlinks and every other advertising network, but were more successful.

It's shocking how hypocritical and well....plain dumb some people are really isn't it!

bandalay

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Canada
*These* are the top ten?

American Express
Hewlett Packard
Amazon
IBM
US Postal Service
Procter & Gamble
USAA
Nationwide
eBay
Intuit

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Yeah thats what I dont quite get. People have this delusion that Google is bad because they did exactly the same thing as Apple, Microsoft, Viglink, Skimlinks and every other advertising network, but were more successful.

It's shocking how hypocritical and well....plain dumb some people are really isn't it!

Quite frankly - ISP companies are more of a threat to personal security.

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
That's pretty much every Libertarian, Republican, and hard-right dingbat that I know.

We trust that buisnesses are in the buisness of making money and will produce the best, most cost effective products when left unregulated (and customers are free to pick the products they buy.)

Do you have evidence of companies doing otherwise?

We don't trust buisnesses to not collect data that they aught not - we trust customers to be intelligent enough on their own to make their own choices and to not use products offered by companies that take an uncomfortable amount of data away from their users. (BTW, how much is uncomfortable will vary from person to person... Thus some companies will target different people in the hopes of making as much money as possible in seperate niche markets.)

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Facebook shouldn't be allowed anywhere near that list. I hopped on one of those "who is" sites and was amazed to find that this site knew everyone in my family and who was related to who. It showed what neighborhoods we lived and and what the average market value was of our homes as well as the salary ranges we make. Interestingly, my Mom was the only one not found on the site. Why is that you ask? She's the only one without a Facebook account. Coincidence?

I never used to receive junk mail of any kind. The minute I created a Facebook account, I was inundated with junk mail. After about a month of Facebook's constant security breaches, I cancelled my account.

I haven't had a Facebook account in a good 2 years, but I'm still left with the neverending stream of junk emails.

Facebook: zero provisions for user privacy. Period.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Funny people plastering all their private info on Facebook and then complaining about 'privacy'.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Some of you pretend Google isn't trustworthy but you put your trust in them all the time. What kind of crazy things have you searched on Google search? Do you fear the police falling out of the sky coming after you? You probably use gmail. Do you fear somebody else beside Google now knows you intimately? And to be frank, the way information is collected. Even Google, meaning anybody working for them or affiliated with them, doesn't have access to them. Its all internal and encrypted. So relax, and have the sensible fear of your information being hacked because the company is not that secure, or is careless.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Some of you pretend Google isn't trustworthy but you put your trust in them all the time. What kind of crazy things have you searched on Google search? Do you fear the police falling out of the sky coming after you? You probably use gmail. Do you fear somebody else beside Google now knows you intimately? And to be frank, the way information is collected. Even Google, meaning anybody working for them or affiliated with them, doesn't have access to them. Its all internal and encrypted. So relax, and have the sensible fear of your information being hacked because the company is not that secure, or is careless.

To add to that - even if a Google employee could look at that info, its not personally identifiable without a Google account (and even with a Google account it'll be highly encrypted) so all they would pick up is that someone within a X mile radius of some town likes searching for Pizza.

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
Everyone should read Ponemon's report.

"The number one privacy-related concern expressed by 61 percent of respondents is identity, closely followed by an increase in government surveillance (56 percent)." - Page 2, 2012 Most Trusted Companies for Privacy, Ponemon Institute, 2013

Corporations are the least of you privacy problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.