Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg reports that Apple is to open its first store in Berlin, in the upmarket shopping district of Ku'damm.

berlin.jpg
The store, for which Apple began hiring over a year ago, will be in a former movie theatre at Ku'damm 26, opposite the Hard Rock Cafe and close to the city's most famous department store, Kaufhaus des Westens. The area is home to Berlin's biggest concentration of luxury shops, including Hermes and Louis Vuitton.

San Francisco real-estate website Socketsite meanwhile reports that Apple is to open its fourth San Francisco, CA store at 400 Castro Street, a former Bank of America building recently vacated by Diesel after a reputed 50% hike in the rent. A separate area of the building has remained vacant for two years after a Sprint store closed, suggesting that Apple may plan to combine the two spaces.

400-Castro-Street.jpg
The building featured in the 2008 movie Milk, starring Sean Penn as the gay rights activist Harvey Milk, the city's first openly gay supervisor who was assassinated in 1978. A memorial to Milk serves as the entrance to the subway station.

Update: Castro Biscuit reports that Apple is in fact not interested in the 400 Castro location, as it is too small for the company's needs.

Article Link: Apple Plans First Berlin Store and Fourth San Francisco Store

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Ku'damm is a lame location for an Apple store, it is a "has been" location. They should have found somewhere in Mitte.

And Gravis is going to be in serious trouble, they are going to have to diversify or something.

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
how about a store in lansing michigan instead? we don't have any here...

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
Ku'damm is a lame location for an Apple store, it is a "has been" location. They should have found somewhere in Mitte.

And Gravis is going to be in serious trouble, they are going to have to diversify or something.

agree about the location. but regardless it'll make good business.

Gravis has known about this for quite some time... id like to see them at least try to carry on. They have been also selling amazon kindles and such.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Well, not bothered about the location in Berlin as long as it actually opens, unlike their new airport...

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011

Gravis has known about this for quite some time... id like to see them at least try to carry on. They have been also selling amazon kindles and such.

I wonder, if Apple is aware of Gravis, well probably, but it will be interesting what percentage Apple will be able to cut from Gravis' customers. I can't really imagine, Apple snatching up all those loyal customers of Gravis. These guys have been in town for a looooong time.

As for the location, Ku'damm has always been somewhat upscale, but also really lame and off the map for people living in the eastern part of the city. Would I be willing to take an hour trip to the Apple store? Maybe. Apple definitely knows where the €€€ is at though.

MNT

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
That building in SF is right across from the Castro Theater, right in the middle of the Castro District at the intersection of Market and Castro. Great location for a store. I hope they're bringing back the rainbow logo for this one!

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
I wonder, if Apple is aware of Gravis, well probably, but it will be interesting what percentage Apple will be able to cut from Gravis' customers. I can't really imagine, Apple snatching up all those loyal customers of Gravis. These guys have been in town for a looooong time.

As for the location, Ku'damm has always been somewhat upscale, but also really lame and off the map for people living in the eastern part of the city. Would I be willing to take an hour trip to the Apple store? Maybe. Apple definitely knows where the €€€ is at though.

The question is what you could gain from going there over say a Gravis store. I don't go into Apples Stores a lot although we have two in the close vicinity, but they are are horribly crowded most of the time and one can get most of the stuff they sell elsewhere too. I usually go to a small Apple premium reseller around the corner and find much better service there.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
That building in SF is right across from the Castro Theater, right in the middle of the Castro District at the intersection of Market and Castro. Great location for a store. I hope they're bringing back the rainbow logo for this one!

Haha, didn't even think about that. The old school Apple logo. I'm sure if they did someone will find a way to sue them over it. Just the way things work.

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010

When I saw them building at Ernst-Reuter-Platz I just assumed they must have had a deal with Apple. That Apple have chosen to place the store in the same vicinity as Gravis just seems cruel, especially given that it would have been better placed in Mitte.

In typical German retailing arrogance you still can not use credit cards in any of their stores, I remember finding that strange when I was first in Gravis in 2003. The costs of the Ernst-Reuter-Platz location can't come cheap, nor their two other new locations and I had a WTF reaction when I noticed the Schloßstraße one pop up.

Whenever I hear Gravis brought up in discussion there are two constant themes -overpriced accessories and the staff are fanboy wankers. All their efforts of the last years are going to go to waste. Apple will trump their retail experience, and all they will have left are the business and pro customers who don't care for their gimmicks.

Not going to end well.

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA

That's actually a great idea! I think the community would love it. Apple could, at the very least, use the rainbow logo on the pre-launch "skin" they'll inevitably put around the building while its under construction.

Great location. They'll do well there.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Typical timing - I currently work just round the corner from the Berlin location but am starting a new job in Mitte come March!

Hard to say what will become of Gravis. As a comparison, when the Glasgow Apple Store opened, the main local Apple reseller (Scotsys) collapsed rather quickly.

However, Berlin has around twice the population of Glasgow (and surrounds), so perhaps there is space in the pond for a few smaller fish.

mockbrown

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Berlin
Berlin store well overdue

The construction of the Berlin/Ku'damm store has been going on for over a year now, so the opening is well overdue... Apple posted a job ad for the store several months ago.

More pics over on 4sq: http://berlinow.eu/11fY18E

quasibinaer

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
Hannover, Germany

I second that. Not to mention that Ku´damm isn´t an especially upmarket area. Hermes and the likes are there because they´ve been there wince before the fall of the wall and Kudamm used to be west berlins center. Same goes for the Hard Rock Cafe and the KaDeWe (hence the name). The hip crowds are in other areas of town, but I guess they´re not the ones Apple is after...

Junipr

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011

This would be insanely great and fabulous

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
The question is what you could gain from going there over say a Gravis store. I don't go into Apples Stores a lot although we have two in the close vicinity, but they are are horribly crowded most of the time and one can get most of the stuff they sell elsewhere too. I usually go to a small Apple premium reseller around the corner and find much better service there.

Well there are similarities between the two, so it's not like Best Buy vs. Apple.The Gravis store is also very crowded, especially on weekends, which is why it will be interesting to see, how the whole thing turns out for both of them. I personally wouldn't really want to make a trip to an Apple store, unless it is really necessary, maybe just out of curiousity. But the premium reseller and certified repair shop in my neighborhood is really helpful and nice, so I don't really see the point of making an hour trip to the other side of the city, just to go to the Apple store.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY

The Ku'damm is like 5th Ave. here in my hometown of NYC. Other shopping areas like Soho have become more popular, especially with the under 50 crowd but, 5th Ave. still has a lot of cachet, which is important to Apple, hence why there is an Apple store on it.

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA

Sad but true: But in the old days, we would sit at the bar at Hagenstr. 5 and
teach the girls to sing.

"O' there is no dam like the Ku' damm."

Alas.

----------

Yeah, unfortunately we are in no man's land here. Can't get a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods either.

Move. You are living in hell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.