Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Would love to know the number of ACTIVE devices that are on iOS6.

The 60% of all devices ever sold takes into account all the original iPhones, iPhone 3G, 1st gen iPod Touches that are currently sitting in landfills.

Active device percentage must be what...90...95%?

What the hell are you talking about, all the older Apple products cant run iOS 6. Iphone, iphone 3g ipad 1, all the older gen products. Its talking about 300 million iOS devices that are on iOS 6 so 300 million of those devices are compatible with iOS 6

aggri1

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
why dont you update to iOS 6.1? it makes my brothers iPhone 4 as fast as its ever been and you can update your apps to the latest OS. doesnt make sense to stay behind on 5.1... every aspect of iOS 6 is better, better Safari, more apps, more compatible apps, smoother better performance... doesnt make sense to me

Because when I updated to iOS 5 from iOS 4, it got slower, less responsive. I assumed that iOS 6 would be slower again.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
How many of those regret it? Maps is still in chaos.

Why would ppl regret it? Google Maps is on iOS 6 if people have a problem with Apple maps. For me Apple Maps has worked great so far so

----------

Because when I updated to iOS 5 from iOS 4, it got slower, less responsive. I assumed that iOS 6 would be slower again.

There has been several reports on here saying iOS 6.1 has made their i4 faster then before. iOS 6.1 has defitnetly improved my brothers i4 i notice a difference prior and now

1Alec1

macrumors regular
My iPad 1 is running an older version. . . an older version with Google maps! :D

My iPhone 4 is running iOS 6. It has Apple Maps and Google Maps. I use Google Maps for navigation because Maps in iOS 6 on an iPhone 4 can't do turn-by-turn, but I use Apple Maps for everything else because it's better.

----------

How many of those regret it? Maps is still in chaos.

Have you TRIED iOS 6 Maps?

----------

The App Store google maps app is so much better than the one built into iOS 5. I have an iPad on iOS 6 with much better google maps!

Aside from having turn-by-turn, it's worse, but turn-by-turn is what matters.

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
What the hell are you talking about, all the older Apple products cant run iOS 6. Iphone, iphone 3g ipad 1, all the older gen products. Its talking about 300 million iOS devices that are on iOS 6 so 300 million of those devices are compatible with iOS 6

Sigh...I'm aware the older devices can't run iOS6...

The article CLEARLY states that 300 million is "roughly 60 percent of all iOS devices ever sold". That means that Apple has sold 500 million iOS devices (300/500 = 60%...try to keep up), including devices that are incapable of running iOS6.

Therefore my question was, before you butchered it...how many actively used devices that are running iOS6. Yes, that 500 million number includes devices that can't run iOS6, but a lot of those devices sold are now in the trash or being unused.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
:)) well, i always see u posting 'interesting' comments :D couldnt resist anymore to engage in a conversation :p

:D I do like to keep things interesting whenever possible. I hope you'll chime in again in the future if I post anything "interesting". :D

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
People can recycle if they want to.

wonder how many of those devices sold are out of commission now (ipod touches replaced with iphones, iphone 3g, 3gs that are not used anymore etc). It would be interesting so see how much electronic waste these things are generating

None if folks bother to recycle their equipment. Apple stores gladly accept old hardware for recycling. You can google your local waste management utility/vendor to look at their computer recycling schedules.

A little personal responsibility can go a long way.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Ridiculous to compare iOS 6 to the latest versions of android. Are people not aware that ICS and above were specifically designed for tablets (the much smaller market for android) and not phones (the much larger market)? Not quite the same comparison. Nice try though. Only very recently has ICS made it to the other side.

iOS 7 needs to be ground breaking, Apple's updates are really getting stale. They are offering virtually nothing of interest in the iOS updates "200 features" that no one will ever notice, use or care about. Really other than some color changes from iOS 5, I hardly even notice the new features. They are offering the same tired old camera/processor updates year after year..while letting other devices suffer slow deaths (iPod Classic).

If Apple wants to take their devices to the next level, bring on a FILE SYSTEM. Unfortunately its not the way Apple works, they'll intentionally short one device to make it a selling point in another..as such file systems are apparently a Mac only thing.

Last edited:

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
As an APP developer, I can tell you that Apple makes it pretty darn difficult to support older OSes. Xcode all but forces you to add "retina iphone5 this" and "Arm7 that". That is why new APPs (and even many older ones that ran fine on OS4 or 5) require OS6 to run. Kinda sux, but that's how the game is played. M$ invented it, Apple is simply perfecting it as they are always keen to do.

-iamthinking

As an App developer myself I haven't seen what it so hard? Just because the default project settings are something doesn't mean you must use them. I find it just as easy as developing for other platforms and supporting "older" OS's.

To me it's a lot easier than developing a program for the PC that must support a ton of different hardware, resolutions, OS's and more. And people say that iOS is getting fragmented? Developers have always dealt with fragmentation and always will.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Sorry, my mistake Sir. Been pretty stressed at the moment, lighted heartedness isn't doing too well, haha.

It's cool.

I could've made it more obvious by adding something along the lines of "Indeed! My iPhone currently features 68% iOS 6, 4% iOS 5, and 28% 'Other' :D" and then even more obvious by adding "/sarcasm" at the end of the post.

But it's alright. I'm familiar with stress so I can at least partially relate.

Iamthinking

Suspended
Jul 31, 2010
As an App developer myself I haven't seen what it so hard? Just because the default project settings are something doesn't mean you must use them. I find it just as easy as developing for other platforms and supporting "older" OS's.

To me it's a lot easier than developing a program for the PC that must support a ton of different hardware, resolutions, OS's and more. And people say that iOS is getting fragmented? Developers have always dealt with fragmentation and always will.

Hi,
I wasn't referring to starting a new project, I was talking about supporting older ones. And if you think having to change a bunch of compiler settings manually is not that difficult (after scouring the web for the magic settings), then good for you. I find it a bit of a pain in the arse. It was much easier before xcode 4. Then again, having IB separate was a big pain too! :)

-Iamthinking

Sparkybc

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013

People wanted 4g which was missing on some carriers kind of a no brainer why it was downloaded so fast.

Maps still suck :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.