Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
I think it only appeals to certain people because of the work involved in understanding and setting up.

That and most people don't know the first thing about proteins or distributed computing for that matter.

It would be a tough task indeed…will ponder.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
one could almost advertise more as a game than as a helpful thing. i mean, look how big fantasy games are and such

for people with one processor it's easy enough to use the folding at home graphical app and just hide it i think

hmmmmm. offer em free beer?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
In the last few weeks (four since I started two processes on one machine), I've turned in over 90 points on my dual machine and 25 on the other, but it just doesn't seem to be enough.

I've started work on an application to monitor the progress, as a first step. Later, hopefully, I can make it into a control centre which will make it easy enough for anyone to want to use. Maybe someone has an idea as to how it could be captivating enough to bring everyone to want to use it.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I am also doing a 6 point protein. They really do take some processing! I have being cruncing it on and off for about 3 days + have only got about half way through it!

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
1 - Never run the client as a screensaver, only as a background, always-running task;

2 - Run the computer overnight with the client doing it's thing;

3 - On Macs, the graphical version seems to add only a half-hour to the processing time;

4 - If yer running games or Photoshop, turn the client off. Otherwise, you'll go insane. :eek:

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
1. I have no idea how you'd run it as a screensaver, nor do I want to know why.

2. Its definitely been running overnight.

3. I'm using the PC version...graphical is on but minimized most of the time.

4. understood :) I don't have photoshop, nor any games :eek:

Looks like I just have a slow computer eh?

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
UK
This has probably been covered elsewhere but...

How do find out the points value of the protein you are crunching?

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Originally posted by Over Achiever

...Sorry folks, but my 550 MHz AMD K6II ain't the fastest :eek: ...I'm trying tho'...

My Toshiba 4080xCDT w/Mobile Pentium II @ 366MHz takes about six days to crunch one of those p146's (mislabeled a 145) -- the six-pointers you describe. p180's take about 4 days, whilst p137-p145 take around a day.

My iBook requires about half-again as much time for each work unit.

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
Well, I should be able to bring my 5 Dells online this week, maybe next. THey've been sitting here waiting for KVM switches so I can hook them up. I'm also going to upgrade my dual Duron to a Dual XP1600+ and OC the hell out of it to at least 1.5 or 1.6ghz. Sweetness.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by rugby
Well, I should be able to bring my 5 Dells online this week, maybe next. THey've been sitting here waiting for KVM switches so I can hook them up. I'm also going to upgrade my dual Duron to a Dual XP1600+ and OC the hell out of it to at least 1.5 or 1.6ghz. Sweetness.

That's excellent! Be careful with the overclocking.

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
Originally posted by bousozoku

That's excellent! Be careful with the overclocking.

I'm a trained professional...;)

Actually, my mobo won't support overclocking so I have to use CPUFsb to manually change the fsb. I wish someone would write software to do that on the new G4's.

The overclockers on our folding list were a bunch of bungs from overclockers.com. Since I am a senior member on that forum I kindly told them to stop otherwise I would take it up with other seniors/mods at that forum. It was during an anti-mac debate they came up with this crazy idea to show our team here how big and bad they were.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by rugby
The overclockers on our folding list were a bunch of bungs from overclockers.com. Since I am a senior member on that forum I kindly told them to stop otherwise I would take it up with other seniors/mods at that forum. It was during an anti-mac debate they came up with this crazy idea to show our team here how big and bad they were.
I saw that sh*t, a while ago when it was happening. It just wasn't our list, they hit other mac-related teams as well.

Just helps our team and shows how immature some of those ~13 yr old overclockers are.

Thanks for the smack-down. :)

Are u on xlr8yourmac too?

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
Originally posted by mc68k
I saw that sh*t, a while ago when it was happening. It just wasn't our list, they hit other mac-related teams as well.

Just helps our team and shows how immature some of those ~13 yr old overclockers are.

Thanks for the smack-down. :)

Are u on xlr8yourmac too?

I am everywhere...;)

Yeah, same nick there too.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I have one thing that is annoying me a little! When I started folding I was getting 6 point units. However, for the last 5/6 units I keep getting given units worth a score of 0.7!! I would much rather have a larger unit so I did not have to connect all of the time. You would have thought that a Dual 1Ghz would be given a larger protein to fold?

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
I jumped up the ranks very quickly at first because I was folding with my PC. All my PC's get higher counting proteins than my Mac does. Macs fold pathetically compared to cheap pc's. I'm getting a pair of XP1600's for my dual amd board to replace 2 1.2ghz Durons and I should rise the ranks even faster. My G4/733 at work folds as fast as possible, but it still is dog slow compared to my cheap PC.

Dual 1.2ghz Duron-$60
Tyan s2460 mb-$150

Oh well, my Pc doesn't run OS X or FCP so it's moot.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Falleron
I have one thing that is annoying me a little! When I started folding I was getting 6 point units. However, for the last 5/6 units I keep getting given units worth a score of 0.7!! I would much rather have a larger unit so I did not have to connect all of the time. You would have thought that a Dual 1Ghz would be given a larger protein to fold?

I get the same mix whether it's the G3/400 or the dual 800. It just doesn't seem to matter. At least, the dual processors get through the mess a little faster, not 4 times as fast though. :(

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by Falleron
You would have thought that a Dual 1Ghz would be given a larger protein to fold?
I think the protein assignment is arbitrary. The benchmarking probably determines a pool of eligible proteins for a specific situation, then somehow you end up with one.

If you don't like the one you receive, you can always delete and try to get another one that you like more.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Read the detailed protein science pages and you'll learn they're always dreaming up new ways of analyzing the same things under different environments. If their research needs the results of a particualr thing RIGHT NOW!!!!!, then even slower processors will get large-atom-number sequences.

Their science determines the proteins we get, not our processors -- though I could be wrong.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
WOW, have you seen this protein?

pAla7 = credit 18.00 (deadline 21 days)!!!

Thats going to take some crunching!

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
There should be a way to determine what size unit you get.....I've been cranking the units out....but they're not worth that much....currently Ive doen 25 units and I only have a little over 27 points....

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Anybody know what this message is (from command line)?

- Couldn't get size info for dyn file: work/wudata_01.dyn
Starting from initial work packet

Has this anything to do with the fact I keep getting units worth 0.6?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.