Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egoalterna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Hello guys/gals. I'm using Snow Leopard and xcode 3.2.5. And I want to use ARC, but I can't, because it says i need to be using Lion. What I want to understand is why can't I use ARC on Snow Leopard? Does Lion use a different runtime, compiler, insert something here(??) than Snow Leopard?
I'm not sure how all this works, because for instance on Windows 7, I just install .NET 4.5 and then I can use all the new features just like on Windows 8, except for the Metro apps thingy.

Thanks!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Yes, you need the modern Obj-C runtime. This is distributed as part of the OS, it is not an installable component so you have to have a recent enough OS.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
It's the same as your example, but you have Windows XP, so no .net 4.5. Maybe a better example is Visual Studio 2012. If you are on Vista, too bad. No VS2012. ARC is a compilation feature, not a runtime feature. The compiler adds the proper retain/release/autorelease messages for you.

-Lee

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.