Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007

I don't really think the Apple TV should be catering to every service out there. This ain't Roku and it isn't designed to be.

Apple should be focused on making iTunes and the Cloud THE source for media content and holding those reigns means that control stems from Apple and not what a 3rd party company is going to do.

Right.... Because we all loooove Apple and really want to pay for EVERYTHING we watch and listen to, even if available elsewhere for free, or for a flat fee.

Apple should get rid of that Netflix and YouTube stuff too -- it just gives people ideas about being unfaithful to the Apple Ecosystem. :rolleyes:

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
Wait, so this update says that the dimensions will be the same, but yet the dimensions shown are smaller than the current ATV? So what's up with that?

Someone pointed out on the other thread that those measurements are of the bottom of the Apple TV, the top fits over it and makes the difference in the width.

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
Interesting that Apple wouldn't want to at least put a "upated" banner on them or something. Why not take the nearly free marketing where you can on something you spent some engineering time on?

Apple tried that with the Mac Pro last year and got rightly blasted for it.

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
I can't believe that apple dont see the mega-huge potential in apple tv...:confused:
Give it some apps for gods sake!

That would be nice, but Apple is probably thinking about how that might affect sales of much more expensive iOS devices like the iPad or iPhone. There is not a lot of profit in a $99 device. Sure, Apple makes money from selling apps and media, but they make a lot more on those expensive iOS devices.

Last edited:

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
That was the Mac Pro. Huge difference.

This is more of a minor upgrade that the pathetic Mac Pro upgrade. If there are no noticeable performance improvements for the end user, why would Apple want to draw attention to it?

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Yawn, sticking with my heavily modified , all singing, all dancing, 1st gen, these hocky pucks are just too limited, cant use TVCatchup on them in the UK, maybe IF apple gets around to letting devs create apps for them, which im hoping Bluetooth support for keyboards is an omen off, then ill look at getting one

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
Safari
Twitter
Facebook
NFL
ESPN
Pandora
NPR
CNN
Stocks
Maps
Notes
Reminders

The list goes on and on and on.

Wouldn't developers have to tweak iOS apps so they could work with either the Apple TV remote or third party input devices? I would love to have the ability to use apps on my Apple TV, but I think Apple is also holding off for monetary reasons... they want to sell much more expensive hardware.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
It has been released yet has it? This was just the FCC filing, production or sales haven't begun yet.

Wouldn't developers have to tweak iOS apps so they could work with either the Apple TV remote or third party input devices? I would love to have the ability to use apps on my Apple TV, but I think Apple is also holding off for monetary reasons... they want to sell much more expensive hardware.

Yes and Yes.

This is why I don't think we will see it until WWDC 2013.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
If its the same wifi chip as the iPhone 5 has in it, then that confirms that there'll be no ac wifi in it. That suggests to me that they won't be updating other parts of their range to the new standard either, as if they were surely they would ensure that the ATV was compatible.

I still hope that the next iPhone will have better wifi, but suspect this means that the Macs and airport/time capsules won't. That's disappointing.

pinchez

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2006
For the same price as ATV you'll be able to buy Ouya which as far more potential and official XBMC support.

ATV is pretty useless without a jailbreak imo.

Shane1905

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
UK
Will an upgraded wireless chip enable it to stay connected to Home Sharing for more than 5 minutes without disconnecting (while two iPhones, an iPad, two Macs, and Windows PC stay connected in the same place)?

Sounds more like a crappy router to me

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
Yes and Yes.

This is why I don't think we will see it until WWDC 2013.

Perhaps the apps will come when the Apple TV is an actual TV. Then Apple can still make money off their hardware and have more revenue from media and apps. I wonder if Apple would then keep the current Apple TV the way it is... with no apps and only streaming media, etc.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
That is interesting...I was expecting them to use the updated graphics capabilities of the A5X...but if they aren't differentiating then I guess not.

Maybe it is because of an upcoming iPad Mini update where it gets an A5X? and they stop producing A5's?

Apple does tend to keep performance on the same level when switching to retina. Look at 3GS -> 4 (Cortex A8 to Cortex A8 based Apple A4) or iPad 2 -> 3 (A5 to A5X). That would potentially put iPad Mini two generations behind...but it also incentivizes people to buy the full size iPad for the faster processing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.