Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tximacusr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
TX
This may be redundant, but I'll ask again:
I want to connect my mid-2010 iMac to mirror on my TV.
I can't connect via Apple TV due to the year of my model.
The iMac isn't near the TV.

I bought the MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adaptor and a 20 ft HDMI cable.
I connected the MiniPort to the back of the iMac, connected the adaptor to the HDMI cable and the cable to one of the HDMI inputs on the TV.

I checked the "Displays" settings under "Hardware" and made sure the box is checked that will show mirror options in the menu bar when available; however, nothing shows up.

Apple Tech Support stated upgrading to Mountain Lion is not feasible for my year model. Any troubleshooting assistance is appreciated.

tximacusr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
TX
Maybe you need to change the setting for the screen size or rate for your tv.
to change at System Preferences -> Display.

I don't know how to adjust rate on a TV. I have a Hitachi.
The attached screen shots are what shows on the iMac Displays settings:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-15 at 8.18.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-15 at 8.18.32 PM.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 684
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-15 at 8.18.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-15 at 8.18.57 PM.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 447

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Apple Tech Support stated upgrading to Mountain Lion is not feasible for my year model. Any troubleshooting assistance is appreciated.

Somebody had better tell my mid 2010 iMac, as it has been running ML since it was released. According to the apple website, iMacs from mid 2007 onwards can run ML (those that came after the switch from white plastic to machined aluminium chassis).

What it won't do, however, is support airplay mirroring via an Apple TV (regardless of OS X version).

BillakisKar

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Any news?

Hello guys. I am Bill and i am new to the forum. So i have the same problem that our friend has and i was wondering if anyone find a solution. I am talking about mirror my screen to my tv. My imac is also mid 2010 i3 model. The only difference is that i am not using an adapter but belkin av360. Thank u!

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
I don't know how to adjust rate on a TV. I have a Hitachi.
The attached screen shots are what shows on the iMac Displays settings:

I don't think it is recognizing your TV. You would see it as a selectable display if it was. You may have a bad adapter or HDMI cable.

Also, there is no need to mirror. It is actually the worst way to go as it could mess with resolutions and such. If you ever get it set up correctly, you should uncheck the mirror option and set it up so that it treats your TV as a second monitor.

Hello guys. I am Bill and i am new to the forum. So i have the same problem that our friend has and i was wondering if anyone find a solution. I am talking about mirror my screen to my tv. My imac is also mid 2010 i3 model. The only difference is that i am not using an adapter but belkin av360. Thank u!

The Belkin av360 is a device that allows you to use an HDMI source (PS3, XBOX, etc) on your iMac monitor and not vice/versa. You need a simple mini display port to hdmi adapter such as this http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Apple Tech Support stated upgrading to Mountain Lion is not feasible for my year model.

Never heard of that. I had a 2010 27" iMac and it ran ML just fine.

Somebody had better tell my mid 2010 iMac, as it has been running ML since it was released. According to the apple website, iMacs from mid 2007 onwards can run ML (those that came after the switch from white plastic to machined aluminium chassis).

What it won't do, however, is support airplay mirroring via an Apple TV (regardless of OS X version).

I think the OP means that upgrading to Mountain Lion won't solve the problem even though ML will mirror on 2011 macs or later. There's no way Apple Support told the OP he couldn't upgrade to ML on a 2010 machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.