Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I am currently reading Agincourt on my Kindle.

Attachments

• agincourt.jpg
    agincourt.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 418

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

That is a very good book, a rollicking good read, and one which I thoroughly enjoyed.

However, if you like 'Agincourt', I can unreservedly recommend his trilogy set a little earlier (the time of Crécy, in 1346), 'Harlequin', 'Vagabond' (apparently it goes under the name of 'The Archer's Tale' in the US), and the final volume, 'Heretic'. They are an excellent read, very well written and well researched, too.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

That is a very good book, a rollicking good read, and one which I thoroughly enjoyed.

However, if you like 'Agincourt', I can unreservedly recommend his trilogy set a little earlier (the time of Crécy, in 1346), 'Harlequin', 'Vagabond' (apparently it goes under the name of 'The Archer's Tale' in the US), and the final volume, 'Heretic'. They are an excellent read, very well written and well researched, too.

This was very good also, sadly for you two, it is an actually history of the battle:

images

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This was very good also, sadly for you two, it is an actually history of the battle:

Ah, well, as I love history, and love history books, I thank you for your recommendation. Indeed, I used to teach history for a living for years. Anyway, I'll be very happy to track it down and read it......

I used to marvel at how a subject so absolutely endlessly fascinating (to me) was so often ill-served by awful texts full of dreadful - and worse, sometimes tedious - writing.

For what it is worth, last summer, I saw an excellent production of (Shakespeare's) 'Henry V' performed by the dynamic Propeller Theatre group, which combined a ferocious athleticism with a faithful adherence to the original text.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
If you're reading about Agincourt then in addition to the Juliet Barker book (which I think is very weak on the actual battle itself, but very good about the campaign) you'll also want to read Anne Curry's book:

51PrgUn2rzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Anne Curry is a very well respected scholar and tries to prove a specific and controversial point about numbers by making some odd conclusions but it's an interesting read if a bit turgid at times. I personally found 'her battle' much more convincing.

I like Bernard Cornwall but I thought his book (Agincourt / Azincourt) was just a dramatic version of Juliet Barker's. Good fun but I think he could have tried a bit harder with it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If you're reading about Agincourt then in addition to the Juliet Barker book (which I think is very weak on the actual battle itself, but very good about the campaign) you'll also want to read Anne Curry's book:

Anne Curry is a very well respected scholar and tries to prove a specific and controversial point about numbers by making some odd conclusions but it's an interesting read if a bit turgid at times. I personally found 'her battle' much more convincing.

I like Bernard Cornwall but I thought his book (Agincourt / Azincourt) was just a dramatic version of Juliet Barker's. Good fun but I think he could have tried a bit harder with it.

Thanks for the various recommendations re Agincourt; I love reading proper history. Having said that, while I know perfectly well that Bernard Cornwell doesn't always stretch himself (some of the Sharpe books became pretty repetitive), overall, he writes a readable book that is usually good fun to read. One of his books I particularly enjoyed was "Gallows Thief", an unusual standalone book, set in the immediate post-Napoleonic era in England.

When I was teaching, quite a few colleagues were rather sniffy about popular history, and writers who wrote historical fiction, whereas I took (and take) the view that anything which brings the kids to history, excites them, interests them, and further stokes their interest in reading and in finding out more about events, or people in history is A Good Thing.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

aha! i have read that and i agree with you! I'd forgotten about it until i sw the cover. ;)

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
i need to get those. i've never read a single issue of his sandman...

Then let me tell you you are in for one of life's great treats. I my opinion it defines what the graphic novel is for adults.

You don't need the Absolutes, the trades well get the job done.:D

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Finished "Justice for All" by Steven Hague last week.

Currently 3/4 through "The Protector" by Duncan Falconer. :)

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Then let me tell you you are in for one of life's great treats. I my opinion it defines what the graphic novel is for adults.

You don't need the Absolutes, the trades well get the job done.:D

what are the "absolutes"?

----
Coraline_Paperback_1185750231.jpg

coraline right now... and

isbn9780748130801-detail.jpg

folly of the world

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
The Absolutes are the $100 books by DC for the Sandman there are 5 volumes and 1 volume for Death. They were released 2009-2011

here are my own collection

Did you purchase them twice? So that you can keep one in perfect condition? I do that at times, and people think I'm quite crazy. Not all, but most of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.