Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
I'll probably have to plug this in soon (wanted to leave it to go flat). Leaving work in half an hour, and hate doing that with a flat phone battery!

iPhone 5, charged this morning, 100% before leaving for work, arrived at 10:30am
time now, 6:00pm
Battery: 5%
Usage: 4 Hours, 50 Minutes
Standby: 7 Hours, 46 Minutes

That's with some texting (well, iMessaging), Facebook, Twitter and a little Safari. On 3G most of the day (connected to my iPad's hotspot for a while to download a 130mb app too), with around 2 bars.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
6.1 battery thread (merged)

So much better! When I had 6.0.2, I would unplug the phone and it would be at 40% when I woke up.

Today I woke up and it's at 87%. With 1HR 35MIN Usage and 7HRS 15MIN Standby. Not bad at all.

Oh yea. And I restored my iPhone 5 as new BTW.

Last edited:

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
Those that have poor battery life when the phone is mainly in standby (unused), what type of e-mail account do you have linked to your iPhone?

This makes all the difference in the world usually, depending on if it's Exchange, iCloud, Gmail, or POP set to check in user-defined intervals.

I used to have solely an exchange account, then once I added my work Gmail set to check every 15 minutes, my battery started draining a bit faster at work on 3G (no wifi).

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
Those that have poor battery life when the phone is mainly in standby (unused), what type of e-mail account do you have linked to your iPhone?

This makes all the difference in the world usually, depending on if it's Exchange, iCloud, Gmail, or POP set to check in user-defined intervals.

I used to have solely an exchange account, then once I added my work Gmail set to check every 15 minutes, my battery started draining a bit faster at work on 3G (no wifi).

I have Gmail on mine to push every 15 mins. Oh and my battery didn't improve at all with the update . ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359579765.777598.jpg

TheDoctah

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2008
Brampton, ON
My battery life has seemingly improved. Today's the first day since 6.1 but normally by this time in the day i'm down to 30-40%. I'm still at 50% right now.

I'm happy :)

ToyGun1

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2012
Great Battery Life here

Wow Great Battery Life on iOS 6.1
iPhone 5 32GB After updating it yesterday.
Only been using it for web surfing.

Stats usage is 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Standby 1 Day 6 Hours

Still Have 94% Battery remaining will update when it hit 1% battery life.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
unplugged my phone at 7:15am this morning, its not 3:12pm and have 71% battery....played a couple games of candy crush in a meeting, got 1 or 2 phones calls and have gotten and replied to numerous txt's....have exchange and gmail (through exchange also) push on, which my colleague pointed out I received 25 emails in a 2 hour meeting today.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
Mixed bag here...

i was getting about 7-8 hrs of usage and nearly two days (6am - 10pm the next day) standby on my iphone 4 with often more juice (10-20%) to spare. fast forward to the iphone 5, that dropped some (6-7 hours usage, but getting under 10% left), but the biggest difference i noticed was that rather than losing 1-2% overnight, i now started losing 7-12% overnight with the iphone 5. (over 10 hours)

when 6.0.2 came around, the similar "standby consumption" continued, but my real usage plummeted as well. so much so (i was getting under 4 hours), that i managed to downgrade my phone to 6.0.1 to get my "normal" 6-7 hours back.

fast forward to 6.1: i am showing that i could once again get close to 8 hours usage if i used it during the span of one day (extrapolating a little), but overnight consumption eats into what i can expect to get from the phone. last night, for example, it still consumed 10% (dropped from 68% to 58%).

i'm still puzzled by all of this. i've tried reseting all settings and network settings. but those had little effect.

as far as what is consuming battery overnight, i'm at a loss and have explored a little find that it's not facetime or siri being on.

what's left?

- LTE vs 4G vs microcell : without the AT&T microcell, i get 2-3 bars at home. i have noticed that the phone doesn't always connect to the microcell 100% of the time so i wonder if it is somehow flipping between networks and draining power.
- Notifications: i "only" have: phone, messages, google voice, and calendar running.
- Location servies: only maps, google maps, siri, and yelp
- Mail: everything is set to Manual (both on each account and also under advanced -- a few gmail accounts, and 1 yahoo)
- all advanced location services are OFF
- bluetooth is OFF
- this overnight consumption exists whether or not i have wifi on or off.
- if i go to airplane mode, i find 1-2% drop in battery (which seems reasonable)

i've heard Evernote might cause a problem, so i am tempted to delete it and see what happens overnight.

anything else i should be thinking about as possible culprits? i'd love to hear suggestions.

my current path is to selectively turn the few things listed above on/off and see if they have any effect. if it weren't for this overnight consumption, i think i'd be happy with my battery usage. it's just that on light days, i hardly use my phone and it therefore should last me at least two days, if not 3. but what i find is that that 10% (a few times it was more) overnight really brings me close to running out on the 2nd or 3rd day.

perhaps a small complaint: i know the solution is to charge every night. but i'd prefer to not do so. i never had to with my iphone 4.

of course, the final step is to restore as a new phone...i guess i could do that and backup my high scores on games and also find a way to save my old text messages, etc.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
It seems that most 4s are having battery problems after updating to 6.1

Um not here. Still determining and allowing to drain for a calibration but my 14 month old 4s currently sits at

1 day 10 hours stdby
4 hr 45 min usage
32% remaining

----------

Downloaded 6.1 on my i5 yesterday. I never had battery issues. But after the update, my battery dropped dramatically in the hours after the update. It dropped so bad that I was at 1% around 9pm when I would normally be around 45-50%. Plus the phone seemed warmer than it usually is. My usage pattern was not at all different from my usual usage pattern. I'll watch it today but there's either something going on with 6.1 or a very big coincidence. Anybody else notice this?

Perform the "reset all settings". Thats a typical fix when heat and poor battery after an iOS update occur. Keeps your apps and data so not a big deal to do. Of course have to re set your settings you want and add back your networks.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
anyone use wifi hotspot a lot? with 3-4 bars signal and wifi hotspot on with 1 constantly used connection, i get 4 hours usage. i think that's to be expected when it's using both the 3g and wifi radios - just wondering what others think.

also, is there a bug with that stat screen? i'm sure the other day i let my phone drain from 100 to 0. then i plugged it in to charge. after booting up again, the stat screen didn't say that the iphone had been plugged in since it was last fully charged, and the usage hour remained at where they were before it shut down... you'd have to be pretty sad to use this to lie about your usage though :p

Last edited:

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
How bad would your battery need to be to get it replaced by Apple? My 4S seems a lot lower then what everyone is posting here.

If under AppleCare 50% of orig http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

Not sure on standard warranty I would guess the same. However I suspect you are having other issue rather than failed battery. Some app or setting most likely causing problems. I would look there first. Check email accts, hung app, always running app stuff like that. Notifications and location settings all the typical recommended stuff

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Not exactly sure if mine is good or bad.

Right now this is how it stands:

iPhone 4s

Usage: 3 Hours, 21 minutes
Standby: 10 Hours, 6 Minutes

Battery Percentage: 53%

I think by this time my phone is usually at 35% or so, so i'd say at first glance its better.

EDIT: So not sure how both are calculated but i had my phone open sitting there at the usage screen (been open about 2 minutes) and saw that both the standby and usage time both went up by 2 min.

Is that how its supposed to work?

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I just downloaded onavo to test it out to see how well it works with saving data, and am streaming pandora in the background, Facebook, Tweetbot, Instagram, and email. Anyone and everyone would want better on a 4S, but frankly, this isn't bad. Considering I'm doing a little more than I usually would to really test it out, usage should be on par with 6.0, which is what I was on before.

BTW, how is Onavo working for you?

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
It's the worse battery issue I had since iPhone 4! I think the problem is with the lte since here in Portugal we don't have great lte coverage yet, but the problem is I can't turn the 3G of! So I enter my class with 88%, used a few times the dictionary on my iPhone, and when I left (1h30 later) it was 70%! Then I went to my training with 67% and after 2 hours my battery was 50% with no use at all. I've already depleted the battery and then charged up again but nothing...

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
I have Gmail on mine to push every 15 mins. Oh and my battery didn't improve at all with the update . View attachment 393640

Try ditching the standard "GMail" preset and use Exchange for your Gmail, using the server and domain "m.google.com"

This will give you true push e-mail that doesn't have to check every 15 minutes. When you get an email, it comes in instantly. I'd be interested in knowing if this makes your battery life improve.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Not exactly sure if mine is good or bad.

Right now this is how it stands:

iPhone 4s

Usage: 3 Hours, 21 minutes
Standby: 10 Hours, 6 Minutes

Battery Percentage: 53%

I think by this time my phone is usually at 35% or so, so i'd say at first glance its better.

EDIT: So not sure how both are calculated but i had my phone open sitting there at the usage screen (been open about 2 minutes) and saw that both the standby and usage time both went up by 2 min.

Is that how its supposed to work?

Yes the standby is total time since charged. Not just standby time (locked) And technically (in theory) you would be getting 7 hr use and 20 hr stdby with your current usage and stats by the time it was at 0% if all things were equal.

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
Try ditching the standard "GMail" preset and use Exchange for your Gmail, using the server and domain "m.google.com"

This will give you true push e-mail that doesn't have to check every 15 minutes. When you get an email, it comes in instantly. I'd be interested in knowing if this makes your battery life improve.

I have it set to manual, not 15 mins like I thought .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.