Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
The case will be 1/8" smaller: Revolutionary! :rolleyes:
We ought to have a drinking game now for every sarcastic remark that comes from every change that Apple ever makes. :rolleyes:

Is it a problem for Apple to shrink the case?

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Maybe the wifi is less congested where you are - I always see at least 15 other networks, often more. My other devices manage to negotiate the mess OK, but not the Apple TV.

Same here. I have 10-20 depending ont he time of day / weather. I do have a Apple only network (1 time capsule, 2x Airport expresses) - my older netgear used to lose connections on all my devices - pc and windows.

tested it on a Ethernet cable? does it lose connection then?

I've been using

http://www.istumbler.net/

or mountain lions built in app... a little convoluted but works well and a on a much less used channel via the airport app.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/31/use-mountain-lions-new-wi-fi-scan-utility-to-optimize-your-home-wireless-network/

----------

Apple Fail.

wxman2003 Idiot.

Trolly want a cracker...?

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
I have the ATV2... Skipped the 3 looking forward to this refresh in hopes of something new beyond the 1080. The Apple TV has SO much potential. Ugh.. if only they would do something with it already. It's been way too long.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Sounds more like a crappy router to me

It could just be a case of unfortunately bad placement of the :apple:TV. Sometimes places that *look* perfectly fine for wireless connectivity simply aren't. After all, he did mention the spectrum congestion he's dealing with.

Last edited:

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
So this is the minor update that analyst was talking about? Oh well, I was planning on picking one up soon for the bedroom so I suppose I should hang on and get this one. Although there will probably be no noticeable difference, it's always nice to have the "better" one.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
100% Agree.

I'd love to see an app store but why need these things when you have an iOS device in your hands??? You want safari on your TV? Mirror your screen from iPhone/iPod/iPad/Mac. Can't imagine how you'd even browse safari on an apple TV without an iDevice anyway.

You know what people want on their TVs? Media content. Sports/Olympics, News, Music Services, Video Services, etc. That's what an app store for the Apple TV should include.

If you can show me how to mirror safari FULL SCREEN ( takes up the whole screen ) on my HDTV I'd appreciate it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So as I said multiple times on the other thread this was probably just a logistics update due to having lots of left over A5X chips after the early demise of the iPad 3.

The 3,2 designation was always an indication that this was a silent upgrade.

However now we will have countless bitch threads on the Apple TV section about people not getting the latest 3,2 model when ordering an Apple TV/

----------

A5X isnt going into the Mini, unless they want the same my ipad mini 2 is slower then my Ipad mini 1 complaints that they had on the iPad 2 to iPad 3 transition.

Exactly.

The iPad mini is the most popular iPad, the chances are it will transition to the the A7 alongside the iPhone 5S and the iPad 5.

Apple will not have it lagging 2 chip generations behind and likewise they are hardly going to re-manufacture the A6X in order to accommodate it in the iPad Mini. A transition to A7 across the board is the logical and most cost effective solution.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
A5X isnt going into the Mini, unless they want the same my ipad mini 2 is slower then my Ipad mini 1 complaints that they had on the iPad 2 to iPad 3 transition.

Hmm, I always thought that the iPad 2 and iPad 3 had basically the same performance? The X in A5X really just permitted retina but kept performance the same.

And the average consumer doesn't do real world comparisons, nor were there really a large amount of outcry from the public.

If the A5X does go into the mini and Apple TV, it will have to be a die shrink anyways. This should mean cooler and more efficient, and hopefully also mean they can overclock it a slightly to keep performance above that of iPad Mini 1.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
i wish they would add some memory to apple tv. i love my apple tv but i would like the option of being able to download some shows and movies on it. my internet sometimes at night gets moody and it is a pain watching a movie or show sometimes.

I think you mean "storage space". Memory refers to physical RAM. The original Apple TV had the capability to leave download media on the device.

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
Since when does Apple comment such things?

Apple didnt do this, this is all Macrumors (and other sites). They came up with the hockey puck was smaller (which its not), and there are three threads all because Apple is replacing the A5 processor with the A5X processor and had to get the FCC to bless the new design.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
So as I said multiple times on the other thread this was probably just a logistics update due to having lots of left over A5X chips after the early demise of the iPad 3.

The 3,2 designation was always an indication that this was a silent upgrade.
So Tim Cook didn't know how iPad 3's would sell and didn't know it was going to be replaced early? Sorry, don't buy it.

Makes more sense to sell the excess inventory as refurb rather design a whole new motherboard for the ATV just to accommodate a bigger die.

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
Hmm, I always thought that the iPad 2 and iPad 3 had basically the same performance? The X in A5X really just permitted retina but kept performance the same.

And the average consumer doesn't do real world comparisons, nor were there really a large amount of outcry from the public.

If the A5X does go into the mini and Apple TV, it will have to be a die shrink anyways. This should mean cooler and more efficient, and hopefully also mean they can overclock it a slightly to keep performance above that of iPad Mini 1.

Processor wise they do have the same performance, and graphics wise the 5X processor is way ahead, however anything that pushes to a retina screen may have calculate 4x as much data (Retina screen size gain) before the pixels pop on the screen, thats why there are a number of tasks that are actually slower on the iPad 3 vs the iPad 2, yes its doing a prettier Retina version of the display, but start till time on screen is actually slower on the newer iPad 3. Ipad 4 fixed the issue and is faster then the iPad 2, but I think it would be a mistake to revisit a new version is slower then the older version because you are adding Retina as was done with the iPad 2 -> iPad 3 transition.

kako

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2004
Maybe the wifi is less congested where you are - I always see at least 15 other networks, often more. My other devices manage to negotiate the mess OK, but not the Apple TV.

Yes I have to have an AirPort Express by the TV cabinet with the Apple TV plugged in. Set to Join, not Extend, on 5GHz only.

Very finicky.

moobatticus

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2012
They may well do but that would cannibalise sales of their other iOS devices. Would as many buy an iPad for surfing in front of the TV if they could use all those apps on the Apple TV? If not, then they would lose significant revenue and profit.

For UK users, getting iPlayer onto Apple TV would make a big difference. I also agree with others that allowing access to more local content without having a computer running iTunes (e.g. a local networked hard drive or Time Capsule) would also be an improvement.

Certainly BBC iPlayer as an Apple TV app is what I'm waiting for. I watch stuff either live streaming to the Apple TV, or the archived stuff. I don't even have an aerial plugged into the TV, it comes over the net, through the Apple box.

I've got the Apple TV 2 and it's tiny! It will get smaller when it's just a part of a larger TV with retina screen and so on.

On a different note, I'm keen for a solution to the current AirPlay mirroring lag with games, or when using iPlayer and without mirroring, there's a network triangle. It's okayish, when the Apple TV has a wired fast broadband connection, but over wifi, you get lag.

Give this a try: set your iPhone with personal hotspot on. Connect your Apple TV to the wifi provided by your iPhone.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Any guesses as to when this will happen? Though its not a real big update, it's still an update.... Waiting to find one when they come out....

I've been planning on getting a 3rd gen to take advantage of the 1080p. I can move my second gen to my basement tv. However, since I wasn't in a hurry, I'll still wait till these are in distribution to at least get the spec bump on the chip.

I'm with you. I just need to know the model number for the "new" 3 so I can just buy that one.

Was going to use my Best Buy Reward dollars for it, but figured I would wait. So I just bought RAM for my iMac today with them...

:rolleyes:

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Normally I'd agree but there comes a point where Apple has to promote iTunes. It's great to have Netflix for streaming as they are the King but Apple does not need to be promoting Crackle, Amazon and other bit players IMO. They need to foster their own initiatives.

Well, if Apple does not provide what consumers want, Google probably will and then iTunes and Apple TV will be irrelevant.

There is a balance companies have to maintain and while you may be happy with having access only to iTunes content, most of us are not.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
The most pointless Apple product I have. Okay, it's useful for one or two things but I assumed there'd be a jailbreak to make it into a proper media centre but it never came for the ATV3.

If they gave it an Appstore at least it could have iPlayer, 4OD, Lovefilm, etc.

The £25 Raspberry Pi with XBMC is better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.