Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
A slide to unlock feature was around prior to Apple's patent, but Apple didn't patent slide to unlock. They patented specific implementations of slide to unlock that involved manipulating an image along a pre-defined path.

Apple had none of those patents until they thought they could sue over them. Google just never thought it worth the time an effort to get a patent for slide down for the notifications

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The cost of cell phone service is the same whether you subsidized your phone or not. The cost of minutes is the same whether you have a smart phone or not. I believe even the cost of texting is the same whether you have a smart phone or not. So either the carriers are eating part of the price, or every single person involved with that carrier is eating the price.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Apple had none of those patents until they thought they could sue over them. Google just never thought it worth the time an effort to get a patent for slide down for the notifications

You just made all of that up.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Out of my mind? It's common knowledge. Verizon Wireless and AT&T pay Apple around $100 more in subsidies than other smartphones. Service cost is the same as if you had an Android device.

Not sure what part you find hard to believe.

Yea they get there money back because they charge the same price for android phones that have a lower cost. Also you have no idea what the terms of the deal were when Verizon and AT&T got the iphone. I am sure they are not paying the full price for them. Carriers make billions on top of billions a year. They don't do that by losing money off iPhones. Sorry but no way

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
or are you buying into the mind set of look how cool I am I got an iphone. I mean people go out of the way to get a case that shows the apple logo.

The iPhone is so mainstream and common I don't see how this could be true amongst the adult population at least (young people might be a different story, but young people do all kinds of idiotic things to appear cool).

That said, I kind of do agree with your general unhappiness with the way Apple sometimes presents itself. Not so much with their keynotes and such (which for their purpose, I think are appropriate), but more with some of their advertising. For example, I hated the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" advertising -- it reinforced the Apple-using-douchebag stereotype. The absolutely worse in my memory is the "If you don't have an iPhone, well, you don't have an iPhone" ads -- the guy sounded like such an arrogant douche, I wanted to pull him out of the TV and punch him in the face for acting that way (and I own an iPhone). These ads just breed hatred for Apple users, and I've seen the consequence of this in action.

It isn't all bad, though, some of their ads are great -- especially the ones that are basically just demos on how to use their products.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
The iPhone is so mainstream and common I don't see how this could be true amongst the adult population at least (young people might be a different story, but young people do all kinds of idiotic things to appear cool).

That said, I kind of do agree with your general unhappiness with the way Apple sometimes presents itself. Not so much with their keynotes and such (which for their purpose, I think are appropriate), but more with some of their advertising. For example, I hated the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" advertising -- it reinforced the Apple-using-douchebag stereotype. The absolutely worse in my memory is the "If you don't have an iPhone, well, you don't have an iPhone" ads -- the guy sounded like such an arrogant douche, I wanted to pull him out of the TV and punch him in the face for acting that way (and I own an iPhone). These ads just breed hatred for Apple users, and I've seen the consequence of this in action.

It isn't all bad, though, some of their ads are great -- especially the ones that are basically just demos on how to use their products.

Yea that is what I was saying. I do agree that they have some great commercials I said that before.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Yea they get there money back because they charge the same price for android phones that have a lower cost. Also you have no idea what the terms of the deal were when Verizon and AT&T got the iphone. I am sure they are not paying the full price for them. Carriers make billions on top of billions a year. They don't do that by losing money off iPhones. Sorry but no way

:confused: Who said they lose money off of iPhones?

They do pay "full price" for them. iPhone subsidies are estimated to be around $450 per device. Plus the $199 from the consumer comes to $649.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/08/technology/iphone_carrier_subsidy/index.htm

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
:confused: Who said they lose money off of iPhones?

They do pay "full price" for them. iPhone subsidies are estimated to be around $450 per device. Plus the $199 from the consumer comes to $649.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/08/technology/iphone_carrier_subsidy/index.htm

So you were saying the carriers we paying these massive marriages for the iphone making it sound like they were taking a hit. AT&T and Verizon are making there money back and some more for those huge cost with us paying $30 for data plan if you are on unlimited. Apple nor the carriers are losing money. So if you look at like I do and most of Americans we are paying those huge mark ups just not up front. You keep saying we are paying the same no matter what phone we have, yes that is all well and good. We are still paying for those mark ups on all phone Apple or not.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
AT&T and Verizon are making there money back and some more for those huge cost with use paying $30 for data plan if you are on unlimited. Apple nor the carriers are losing money. So if you look at like I do and most of American we are paying those huge mark ups just not up front. You keep saying we are paying the same no matter what phone we have, yes that is all well and good. We are still paying for those mark ups on all phone Apple or not.

Exactly. Which was my original point. Many consumers aren't paying any more for an iPhone, even though the iPhone has much higher margins than Android smartphones.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
What I think is pretty strange is how Apple is so proud about having such massive margins on their products (something like 20% of sales and 80% of the profit?) compared to other phone makers and using it as a sales pitch.

I personally, as a new buyer of Apple products that haven't followed or read too many of these "speaches" before, take that as "we charge you a ridiculous overprice for our products and that's what makes us having this ridiculously big pile of cash in the bank". They are more or less spelling it out that we pay a huge amount just for the Apple logo. And everyone still just bends over and keeps on taking it. I'm not all that sure that I will pick up the soap bar when it's time to switch phone next time...

When did Apple ever use it's profit margin as a sales pitch? Do you think other companies are intentionally charging less for their products than they could otherwise get and remain competitive? Do you think that Apple is somehow immune to realities of the free market or should be despised for the success they've had? If you thought your iPhone was overpriced, why did you buy it?

----------

Out of my mind? It's common knowledge. Verizon Wireless and AT&T, for example, pay Apple around $100 more in subsidies than other smartphones. Service cost is the same as if you had an Android device.

Not sure what part you find hard to believe.

He's achieved troll status by now, just here to bad mouth people who like Apple and their products. Angry because people didn't agree with him in a previous thread.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
So I like for the most part all the products that Apple makes minus the ipad mini. I also understand that the iphone 5 may or may not be the best smartphone on the market. I am not a big fan of Apple marketing campaign. TO ME it comes across as arrogant. Most of you disagree.(well every single one of you disagrees with me) That is fine with me. I think that Apple trying to trademark things like store design, and slide to unlock are just stupid. The slide to unlock thing is something that was around long before Apple ever had it. ( side note if android wanted to they could have tried to sue Apple for the slide down to access notifications cause they had it first). Again none of you agrees with me which is kind of an under statement. In an earlier thread I pointed out the fact that Apple always talks about many sells they have and how big their company is, but I had about 20 posters tell me that they are not big enough to make agreements with the carriers for Apple to call the shots on what features work and what features don't on the iphone. My thought was if you are the most successful company of this last decade (which was stated here earlier) I would think you would have some say. You pick which carriers have your phones why can't you tell them how they work? Again I was very wrong and was told all about it.

I said all these things to point out some things I don't like about Apple, and think Apple user wear rose colored glasses. Which is fine I am a huge fan of Georgia football, and if you ask me I think they have a shot at a national title next year. Most people would say no way. I also realize there is still this other team called Alabama that aren't going away. I have owned both an Apple smartphone and an android smartphone and I like both. But I am not naive enough to think either company is better than the other. I just wanted give an opinion that was not held by about 90% of the posters on here. I did think that most would not agree, but I thought maybe some of you would agree of some of it. Mostly what I got was the defense of what Apple is doing. Good for you take up for the company of which you love and support with your money. I am just going to keep an open mind and hope smartphones and their creators keep getting better, so we keep getting the best the tech world has to offer.

Maybe I said it wrong the first time, but that is what I think. Just my thought agree or disagree I don't mind.

If I could I would like to quote myself for a second. The arrogance is what gets me. Whether you agree with me or not. I can remember when I was in middle school and you could not pay me $1000 dollars to get and Apple computer. They were crap. Now they are king of the world and we pay then thousands for their products. I just like companies and people to remember were they came from, and remember they are only one crappy product away from being there again. Just ask RIM (blackberry).

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
If I could I would like to quote myself for a second. The arrogance is what gets me. Whether you agree with me or not. I can remember when I was in middle school and you could not pay me $1000 dollars to get and Apple computer. They were crap. Now they are king of the world and we pay then thousands for their products. I just like companies and people to remember were they came from, and remember they are only one crappy product away from being there again. Just ask RIM (blackberry).

I think its arrogant to come onto a iPhone forum and lecture it's members in the manner you've attempted. Apple is not perfect and many other companies produce excellent smartphones. We all get that and didn't need your help, so for the love of Pete please get off your high horse.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

Especially if you only consider the statements that you consider arrogant and ignore anything that contradicts that opinion.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
So lets clean this up a bit and go back to the real reason I started this thread in the first place. Is The iphone and its hype from Apple and other worth it? The way Apple prices them they do believe they are far superior than other smartphone. Weigh in please.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
So lets clean this up a bit and go back to the real reason I started this thread in the first place. Is The iphone and its hype from Apple and other worth it? The way Apple prices them they do believe they are far superior than other smartphone. Weigh in please.

Again, in my market, the iPhone is the same price or cheaper than competing smartphones. Yes, I do think the iPhone is worth the price I paid for it.

Not sure what you are getting at with your "hype" and "far superior" comments. Other than back into the same discussion we just had. :)

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

The iPhone is the best selling smartphone in the world. You seem to acknowledge this in your posts.

If someone pays money for something, they clearly think it's "worth it".

Considering this, it seems you have answered your own question. More people think the iPhone is "worth it" than any other smart phone.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA

Why? You haven't been happy with the discussion thus far. What makes you think it's worth anyone's time to indulge you further? Opinions don't change; yours won't.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
This thread comes off as quite trollish. If you bought something you like it's worth it to you. If you don't think it's worth it don't buy it.
Can you ask why people buy Porshe instead of Honda?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Most people buy on contract, so it's actually cheaper than some Android phones.

Don't believe me? Go into AT&T to get a Galaxy Note 2. You'll come out with 100$ less than if you got an iPhone.

Wait, no, I want one from Verizon. Same thing. How about a wonderful Droid Razr Maxx HD? 250$ on contract.

Sprint has to be better, right? Nope. It actually costs more for their Galaxy S3 (250$).

And TMobile... they don't subsidize phones. It's more like a loan that they're giving you that you'll pay back over the course of X months.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Well I ask this after people have had time to use there phone. If you guys had to pay $600 for the iphone because you were with tmobile who is going to do away with 2 year contract, and there was something like the nexus 4 for $349 would you still say it was worth it? Is the iphone that much better? Just want some opinions

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Well I ask this after people have had time to use there phone. If you guys had to pay $600 for the iphone because you were with tmobile who is going to do away with 2 year contract, and there was something like the nexus 4 for $349 would you still say it was worth it? Is the iphone that much better? Just want some opinions

Yes. It is worth it. You're on an iPhone forum, what do you expect us to say?

:p

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Well I am on this forum and like both android and Apple so I thought maybe other people did too.

And I'm sure that some do. But you didn't phrase this thread title to specifically include them or others; you biased on the negatively assumed side of "Is iPhone really worth it?" which automatically leads the discussion to be Pro or Con iPhone. Most responding here, as has been pointed out, feel that it's worth it and said so.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
And I'm sure that some do. But you didn't phrase this thread title to specifically include them or others; you biased on the negatively assumed side of "Is iPhone really worth it?" which automatically leads the discussion to be Pro or Con iPhone. Most responding here, as has been pointed out, feel that it's worth it and said so.

Well if that is the case then give pros and cons to spending $600 on an iphone instead of telling me how I am a troll and asking why I am posting this. Of everyone thought it was so crazy and stupid then why are there 4 pages Rolf responses?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Well if that is the case then give pros and cons to spending $600 on an iphone instead of telling me how I am a troll and asking why I am posting this. Of everyone thought it was so crazy and stupid then why are there 4 pages Rolf responses?

I did not call you a troll.

I did not ask why you are posting this.

I did not call you crazy or stupid.

You will not put words in my mouth.

I will not argue with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.