Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
In terms of specs/performance, of course not.

I could find an iBook SE for a reasonable price if I wait a while, and upgrade it completely for only about $150 total. You can still do a lot with a 466 MHz G3 as long as you know its limitations :). The only thing that was getting in the way for me was the tiny resolution.

Last edited:

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Some dude is selling a retrofitted iBook for $450.

SNIP

Would this be a decent buy in any shape or form? I obviously have no illusions of doing anything fancy, but this would be a nice addition to a collection and maybe I'd drag it out every now and then for doing some word processing.

Well... The only rationale I can think of is:
- if you have money to spend
- if you lack nothing else
- if you want this machine

RGDS,

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
No, but if someone took the internals of a modern Mac (including a decent Intel CPU) and shoved them inside an iMac G4 I'd buy that in a second.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
No, but if someone took the internals of a modern Mac (including a decent Intel CPU) and shoved them inside an iMac G4 I'd buy that in a second.

May be an iMac G5 :) I miss those designs, current designs look more like some Dell, Sony, Toshiba, Acer, etc... laptops... So long for 'innovation' Although the macbook Air was kinda revolutionary with its thin design (No CD/DVD Drive on a laptop)

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
current designs look more like some Dell, Sony, Toshiba, Acer, etc... laptops... (No CD/DVD Drive on a laptop)

I don't think it's the Apple laptops that look like Sony/Toshiba/Acer laptops, it's the Sony/Toshiba/Acer laptops that look like Apple ones.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
What do you mean? The iMac is copied by other companies and the iMac has kept the same general design since 2004.

Right now. Back in the day no. No one was producing 'All in One' Desktops. You don't see the designs of the imac G4, emac, ibook G3 Clamshell, ibook G4 dual, being copied by Dell, HP or gateway back in the day :)

Even the iMac G5 was very different from the early 'All in One' made by OEMs

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
My opinion..

For the money if I had an option I'd rather pay that kind of money for a decked out PowerBook G4 DLSD which would blow the ibook G3 out of the water.. or even a G5.

I never had a liking towards the G3 as I never owned a G3.. My Mac days started in late to end of 1999 with a G4 350 Sawtooth and never looked back.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Right now. Back in the day no. No one was producing 'All in One' Desktops. You don't see the designs of the imac G4, emac, ibook G3 Clamshell, ibook G4 dual, being copied by Dell, HP or gateway back in the day :)

Even the iMac G5 was very different from the early 'All in One' made by OEMs

Yes, they were :rolleyes:. I have a Sony AIO from, I think, 2003 or 2004.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.