Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I've seen that before and that doesn't mention how those 425 million total users are accessing the service.

That doesn't mean that 425 million people are using the web interface.
You're arguing semantics. My point goes back to the fact that clearly there is no fundamental issue with the gmail web interface due to the sheer volume of obviously happy users.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
You're arguing semantics. My point goes back to the fact that clearly there is no fundamental issue with the gmail web interface due to the sheer volume of obviously happy users.

He really isnt arguing semantics. I've used gmail for years purely via Mail.app. Web interface usage is a last resort (for me). We dont know what the usage spread is like with those 425 million users.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
What a foolish statement to make. How much did you pay for your last iOS update?

You're right. My statement wasn't entirely accurate. Let me fix it for you:

People will put up with a lot of crap in order to get something that they perceive is free or cheap, even when it isn't any cheaper once you factor in the real costs. Android's proof of that.​

There. All better.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
In reality I'm not sure how that works out. The bean counters will need balance the cost of the base units being on standby at night, against the cost of a staff member sitting around the next morning being very much less productive for the half an hour it takes, (in my company at least in some cases), before the software is working smoothly.
If things take that long something is definitely wrong. People here usually boot up the machine, get their coffee, talk to colleagues and then go to work. In that time the machine already booted up and in most cases users have even already logged into the machine. It takes a maximum of 10 minutes to boot up and login. The login part is what takes the longest.

In your case the problem is definitely somewhere else.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Quicktime 7 has a 32-bit API that is ancient. 64-bit is the future but taking Quicktime 7 to that future isn't a straightforward process and will take time. And if you owned Quicktime 7 Pro, it still runs just fine on Mountain Lion. Its not like Apple yanked it or 'dumbed it down' for fun-sies. Also social/cloud integration isn't crap, its where we are in contemporary technology.

I totally agree regarding iCloud. At first, I was a skeptic of The Cloud back in early 2012. Back then, it wasn't even Apple that was hyping The Cloud. It was those other companies like Google and Microsoft throwing around that term as if they invented the concept first.

But now that I experienced first-hand how iCloud allows my (new) iMac to easily synch and seamlessly integrate with my iOS devices, I'm sold on the concept. Is it perfect? Of course not. iCloud has some known glitches that need to be worked out (a good example are the duplicate Notes entries, which I have already experienced). But so far, none of the iCloud problems I have seen or witnessed are deal-breakers. Regardless, I'm sold on the concept. It really does make things easier for us Mac users.

matspekkie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2010
Still having Wifi dropout issues with my iMac.

Having to use a powerline adapter when I shouldn't have to.

Would like to see a fix.

My Macbook Air on the other hand works flawlessly and they're both configured exactly the same. (clean 10.8 install).

With the latest OS X 10.8.3 (12D50) i finally have decent wifi again.

Mind you, i had to trash some preference files (com.apple.alf.plist) in order to get it to work properly.
It's location /Library/Preferences/

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I totally agree regarding iCloud. At first, I was a skeptic of The Cloud back in early 2012. Back then, it wasn't even Apple that was hyping The Cloud. It was those other companies like Google and Microsoft throwing around that term as if they invented the concept first.

But now that I experienced first-hand how iCloud allows my (new) iMac to easily synch and seamlessly integrate with my iOS devices, I'm sold on the concept. Is it perfect? Of course not. iCloud has some known glitches that need to be worked out (a good example are the duplicate Notes entries, which I have already experienced). But so far, none of the iCloud problems I have seen or witnessed are deal-breakers. Regardless, I'm sold on the concept. It really does make things easier for us Mac users.

iCloud is amazing. Forget about SL, I can't even go back to Lion now that I started using iCloud for saving my Text Edit files. I usually type on my laptop when I'm out and when I get home, and sit on my Mac Pro, what I typed is already open in Text Edit. That's the kind of convenience I don't want to live without. I hope in the future that kind of sync spreads to many other apps.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
With the latest OS X 10.8.3 (12D50) i finally have decent wifi again.

Mind you, i had to trash some preference files (com.apple.alf.plist) in order to get it to work properly.
It's location /Library/Preferences/

Interesting. I will try that. Thanks.

olirehacek

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
I need this update, because i have a serious graphics glitches on my macbook air mid-12. Hope to get it fixed with 10.8.3 :)

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Why is 12D50 still on the mac dev center now that 12D54 is also up there?

Usually apple delete previous builds when new ones go up - unless a public release is imminent.

Could it be that 12D54 will actually be the build for public release?

Recent printer driver updates on the software update page also indicate that public release might be soon.

Last edited:

Humex

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
The only OS X 10.8.3 beta or Safari has not crashed once. However, it is much consumes even more than Firefox. In addition, the Instant Search is disabled because my machine is not fast. On Chrome or Firefox, it works correctly.
Problems have been resolved, however crashes this version consumes more than the previous!

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Since Lion almost all of their updates have include "graphics drivers"... And where the hell are we now...? Still choppy... :mad:

I never knew this, there were so many people complaining about a lack of graphics drivers, I assumed apple had neglected them.

thujjku

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
I have a 2012 Mac Mini with 10.8.2 and a 2007 MBP with 10.6.8. I still like the ride MUCH better with 10.6.8 and don't plan on EVER updating my MBP to Lion or Mountain Lion. If it ain't broke..... :eek::eek::eek:
apple

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Apple still uses the Carbon QTKit framework.

QTKit isn't Carbon(kinda sorta), it is Cocoa and thus can be compiled in 64-bit, however it needs a 32 bit "helper" process to do a lot of the lifting. However the new 64-bit AV framework is completely 64 bit.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
QTKit isn't Carbon(kinda sorta), it is Cocoa and thus can be compiled in 64-bit, however it needs a 32 bit "helper" process to do a lot of the lifting. However the new 64-bit AV framework is completely 64 bit.

I was referring to the QTKitHelper . It still uses some carbon framework.

Attachments

• carbon.png
    carbon.png
    415.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.