Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Just stumbled on this little app, and I think I've found the ALMOST perfect PDF annotation tool.

Turns pages like iBooks, great highlighting and sticky note features, and very fast rendering of PDF images.

Only couple of negatives to it is that you cannot yet view annotations in a bookmark-like drop down table; you can't choose the highlight color before you highlight, only after; you can't delete or add pages to a single pdf (as far as I can tell); and the handwriting feature leaves a lot to be desired.

But on a scale of 1 - 10, I give this a very solid 9.

And I've tried pretty much everything you can think of as far as pdf annotation apps go. I think I have about 13 of them on my iPad, many of which will now be deleted.

A future update will also include text-to-speech and text reflow, just FYI. I hope the annotations view feature and highlight-color issue get fixed soon, too.

AbeFrohman

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Haven't heard of it - thanks for the tip. I've tried out many PDF readers as well. Have you looked at Foxit? Thoughts?

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Haven't heard of it - thanks for the tip. I've tried out many PDF readers as well. Have you looked at Foxit? Thoughts?

I did try Foxit for a time, and enjoyed it actually. Especially the free cost. It's actually pretty similar, except that I feel that the UI on Perfectreader is a bit more attractive (wooden background), and I LOVE the page curl turning effect.

Also, Foxit tended to crash on really large pdfs, but I'm talking like 150mb files. For smaller ones, it wasn't a problem.

I know it's such a small thing, but the page turning effect is what sold me on Perfectreader. It just seems so natural, and it's my favorite part of iBooks.

AbeFrohman

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
I'll check out the Lite version - I just missed the sale at $1.99 and it's back up to $6.99 now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.