Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
These threads have just become funny at this point.

If you open the phone (and to your horror) there's a teeny tiny scratch that ruins your life: RETURN IT! No one can guarantee ANY mass produced product will be flawless out of the box, even if they believe there's was (and I promise if you gave some members here fifteen minutes with a microfiber cloth, light, and magnifying glass they could find plenty of "flaws" with it anyway...).

Apple has the most generous return policy out there for cell phones. they even let you take it home and scour over it for weeks before permanently sticking you with it.

If that's not enough time to find any life altering flaws, maybe a $199 phone isn't for you?

I think defense speaches like this is funny, when people are mocking others for wanting a new phone look like new out of the box :rolleyes:

And in many parts of the world people pay $600-1000 for their iPhone 5. For that amount it shouldn't be too much to ask for if you want an unchipped phone right out of the box. Sure, Apple will replace it if it comes chipped, but I find it extraordinary that Apple still don't seem to have gotten the QC to a level that should be expected (by most people that is...).

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I think defense speaches like this is funny, when people are mocking others for wanting a new phone look like new out of the box :rolleyes:

And in many parts of the world people pay $600-1000 for their iPhone 5. For that amount it shouldn't be too much to ask for if you want an unchipped phone right out of the box. Sure, Apple will replace it if it comes chipped, but I find it extraordinary that Apple still don't seem to have gotten the QC to a level that should be expected (by most people that is...).

I completely agree. I also find it very strange that people act like everybody who had a scratched iPhone 5 is just OCD and would find problems with every product they buy. I had a 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S and never had to return one of them for cosmetic issues. I am on 5th iPhone 5 and 3 of them were returned for scratches out of the box. Trying to pretend like its just OCD people who have a problem with scratches on a new product is ridiculous. I like my iPhone 5 and I'm not bashing Apple but pretending that the scratches are a non issue is being way to loyal to a company. You have to be able to admit that Apple is not perfect and the QC on the iPhone 5 has been subpar to say the least.

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Personally 5 months in and your still getting chipped and Scratched phones is ridiculous. I opened 2 black iPhone 5s last week and literally both we're different shades of black anodizing with both all chipped on the corners and a clicking screen. My local store is telling me its okay and normal. No thanks! I'm the one paying full price for the phone not some "genius" who is making it sound like its ok. I'm not "OCD" I just want a cosmetically good product out of the box that I paid GOOD hard earned money for. Period. Sorry I don't have money to blow like some others who say we're complaining too much, I'm not as fortunate. Regardless it's bad Customer Service, and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited:

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I most certainly agree.

However Apple is a powerhouse with tremendous influence. Nothing if not clever, they know exactly how much their customers will tolerate, and therefore have no reason to do anymore than be sure to put the Apple logo on it :)

Apple has plenty of reason to care about the quality of their products. They know that a damaged phone gets returned by the customer and replaced at a loss to Apple. They also know that their phones are some of the most highly scrutinized products in existence, and every flaw is repeated a billion times in every news and tech site on the internet.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011

I would never mock anything this serious. Never.

There's a very generous return policy for this horrible (criminal?) injustice that Apple is inflicting on consumers (by delivering a product that isn't 100% flawless out of the box). I realize that it is ruining lives, and I'm sorry that you think I am mocking that fact. Spending a few hundred dollars on something, only to find a teeny tiny scuff can probably (definitely) be life threatening, especially since it takes literally several (three?) minutes to return it if you do find one.

I truly hope everyone is ok. It's not as bad as genocide, but it's probably pretty close in retrospect. No need to mock anything when it's this bad...

Scary stuff

:apple: of doom...

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
I would never mock anything this serious. Never.

There's a very generous return policy for this horrible (criminal?) injustice that Apple is inflicting on consumers (by delivering a product that isn't 100% flawless out of the box). I realize that it is ruining lives, and I'm sorry that you think I am mocking that fact. Spending a few hundred dollars on something, only to find a teeny tiny scuff can probably (definitely) be life threatening, especially since it takes literally several (three?) minutes to return it if you do find one.

I truly hope everyone is ok. It's not as bad as genocide, but it's probably pretty close in retrospect. No need to mock anything when it's this bad...

Scary stuff

:apple: of doom...

LOL, you're not getting what we're saying are you? This kind of extreme exaggeration and condescending tone is just counterproductive and makes your comment look really silly.

And it's not only tiny scuffs you need a magnifying glass to see. Just read all the threads about it hear and on all other mac/iphone forums. It's very scuffed phones, clicking screens, defective wi-fi, tinted screens. And this is on a premium product you pay a premium price for. A product that should be top of the line. But quality/build wise it's just not at that level at the moment. It's not best of the best, better than the others. And I find that to be sad. And I find it strange that some defend this as "normal" or "expected", when no manufacturer would say so themselves. Not right out of the box.

"Takes three minutes to solve"?. Not everyone have an Apple Store nearby and might actually have to drive for miles to the store you buy your phone from. And how many will actually open the box in front of the staff when you buy a brand new product. I have never in my life done so for any product. Why? Because I'm confident it will be "like new". And I have never afterword had a reason to have done it either, because the stuff has always been "flawless".

It would be absolute chaos in the stores if everyone would open their new box in front of store staff for every purchase that's done. It just shouldn't be necessary. But if I would buy a new iP5 today or a friend would, I would feel obliged to do that and would also recommend my friend to do that. It shouldn't have to be that way.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
LOL ok...

If you are at ALL concerned about the ridiculousness that is "scuffgate" (and most people, by HUGE percentages, are not) there is NO excuse for not taking "literally three minutes" to open and inspect your phone prior to leaving the store.

No. Not "everyone" has to do it, and it would not create "chaos" at the store. Mainly because not everyone freaks out over a teeny tiny "scuff" even if they do manage to find one, so there is no dire need to open the phone there in the first place. If you ARE one of those OCD people, it does "literally take three minutes" to open the box, scour the phone, and RETURN it. If you live far away that makes it even MORE critical, especially if it's a big deal to you.

If you choose not to, Apple STILL will let you return it. How awesome of them! Even if you "scuff" it yourself by being careless (serious damage not withstanding, because obviously "scuffgate" is about anything but serious damage...).

If you can't be bothered to take "3 minutes" to ensure your phone is satisfactory at the store, you deserve to have to take the drive BACK when you discover the horrible damage later on (and I'm not saying people would ever lie about causing it themselves... no way... that would be unbelievable...).

The "issue" is a joke. It's 100% normal for any mass manufactured product to not be flawless. I promise you for every person claiming they have a flawless 5 (or Note, or SGS3), if you gave someone 5 minutes to obsess over every nook and cranny they could find at least ONE "flaw".

So spare me the "people deserve a perfect product if they spend $X (X=any amount really... $199-$799 isn't THAT much to some people)". Even Rolex isn't flawless out of the box, and Ferrari's aren't 100% "scuff" free either at the time of delivery. You may have to look REALLY hard, but that's what "scuffgate" is about: looking really hard for damage that few (if any) normal people would even notice.

You can be as OCD as you want. But to imply there's a "problem" with something because you are isn't anything but laughable. How many ip5's get returned for "scuffs"? 1%? 1% of 1%? Less?

There is no problem with the phone, only problems with the users...

Spidder

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
How many ip5's get returned for "scuffs"? 1%? 1% of 1%? Less?

1% would be 500.000 phones and that means >350.000.000$. I think its more than 1%, but only Apple has the exact numbers.

Even Rolex isn't flawless out of the box, and Ferrari's aren't 100% "scuff" free either at the time of delivery.

You're a Rolex and Ferrari costumer? How many Rolex and Ferraris did you buy in your whole life to be so sure about it?

:rolleyes:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
You're a Rolex and Ferrari costumer? How many Rolex and Ferraris did you buy in your whole life to be so sure about it?

:rolleyes:

You don't need to be a customer to know they will not be perfect; NOTHING that is mass produced and then delivered will EVER be 100% perfect. There will always be small imperfections. You can either get over it and enjoy a device that works even with teeny little scratches, or you can obsess over it and keep returning to the store seeking that elusive perfect phone that doesn't actually exist.

If one of the actual functions in the phone doesn't work, hell yeah demand a refund. If there are scratches on the camera lens that affects picture quality, hell yeah demand a refund. But when there are tiny superficial marks that don't change how the device works in any way, who the hell cares?

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
You don't need to be a customer to know they will not be perfect; NOTHING that is mass produced and then delivered will EVER be 100% perfect. There will always be small imperfections. You can either get over it and enjoy a device that works even with teeny little scratches, or you can obsess over it and keep returning to the store seeking that elusive perfect phone that doesn't actually exist.

Really? so why werent there any problems with the first iphone or 3g, 3gs, 4 and 4s? Why are there only problems with iphone 5? Face it, it's because its poorly engineered for a day to day use. In a pursuit of a thinner formfactor apple completely forgot about durability of a product and this is the result.

I think that your obsession with apple really clouded your judgement when it comes to buying a new product and expecting it to be as a new product should be. Free of any dust in camera lens/scuffs/etc.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
My release day iPhone 5 looks the same now as it did on arrival. There are no scratches, dents or wearing of the black color to speak of in any way that I can see. I've never used a case with any of my iPhones and all have held up very well. Yes, there have been some new models with nicks and minor damage but I think most are just fine.

I believe the bulk of complaints came from owners who were unlucky enough to get an iPhone assembled just before the worker's strike in China. It was reported that they weren't handled with much care during that time.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Really? so why werent there any problems with the first iphone or 3g, 3gs, 4 and 4s? Why are there only problems with iphone 5? Face it, it's because its poorly engineered for a day to day use. In a pursuit of a thinner formfactor apple completely forgot about durability of a product and this is the result.

I think that your obsession with apple really clouded your judgement when it comes to buying a new product and expecting it to be as a new product should be. Free of any dust in camera lens/scuffs/etc.

You must not have been on these forums then (ahh yes, you joined in Dec 2012), because people complained about things with those phones too.

Slightly yellow screen, scratched home button, dust under screen, etc.

I'm not obsessed with Apple, I just don't nitpick about superficial flaws.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
You must not have been on these forums then (ahh yes, you joined in Dec 2012), because people complained about things with those phones too.

Slightly yellow screen, scratched home button, dust under screen, etc.

I'm not obsessed with Apple, I just don't nitpick about superficial flaws.

dont worry i've been reading this forums for a long time before i registered. Yes, there were problems with previous iphones, but NOT in numbers as big as they are now with the 5

echo2011

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Picked up my 5 today at the local Verizon store and it's in perfect shape, no nicks, scrapes or scuffs. :cool:

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
This statement is wishful thinking, and little, if any fact.

While it was true years ago Apple that had an excellent quality control system in place, today it's been crushed by the burden of ultra high volume mass production, and Apple's burning desire to rake in the profits at warp speed.

My company ordered a few hundred iPhone 5's and the greater majority all suffered from the well know scratches, all of which came right out of the box. As a result, they released an internal company memo instructing us to _not_ complain as they had no interest in executing that many returns.

In the overall scheme of things it's simply best to get into acceptance that Apple is a mass market retailer now, that's no better than the rest.

You'll feel much better, if you maintain that frame of mind. :)

This statement above reeks of a 'statement (that is based on) wishful thinking, and little, if any fact.'

Hundreds of iPhone 5s and MOST were 'damaged'? Yet that kept them because it was a hassle to return them...or did you go to the CEO and have him laugh you out of his office for a small scuff or ding in your new phone? Did 'most' of the employees come to you to report their scuffs? Did you inspect them? Each of them? I'm seriously curious. This seems ridiculous...I've got a pair of 5s at home and know at least a dozen colleagues, friends and family. None has ever reported damage, scuffs or anything other than pure joy owning the phone. Neither of mine have damage either. I don't doubt some folks have received bad phones...but the 'majority of a few hundred' is BS

I completely agree. I also find it very strange that people act like everybody who had a scratched iPhone 5 is just OCD and would find problems with every product they buy. I had a 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S and never had to return one of them for cosmetic issues. I am on 5th iPhone 5 and 3 of them were returned for scratches out of the box. Trying to pretend like its just OCD people who have a problem with scratches on a new product is ridiculous. I like my iPhone 5 and I'm not bashing Apple but pretending that the scratches are a non issue is being way to loyal to a company. You have to be able to admit that Apple is not perfect and the QC on the iPhone 5 has been subpar to say the least.

It IS OCD to find fault in and then return 5 iPhones. Especially because in most cases, anyone with ANY common sense would open the freakin box before you accept a functional, flawless phone....after receiving the first, second or even third 'bad' phone. In any case that I've bought directly from Apple they absolutely insist on me opening the box in store...make sure the computer boots, phone works or iPad connects.

LOL, you're not getting what we're saying are you? This kind of extreme exaggeration and condescending tone is just counterproductive and makes your comment look really silly.

And it's not only tiny scuffs you need a magnifying glass to see. Just read all the threads about it hear and on all other mac/iphone forums. It's very scuffed phones, clicking screens, defective wi-fi, tinted screens. And this is on a premium product you pay a premium price for. A product that should be top of the line. But quality/build wise it's just not at that level at the moment. It's not best of the best, better than the others. And I find that to be sad. And I find it strange that some defend this as "normal" or "expected", when no manufacturer would say so themselves. Not right out of the box.

"Takes three minutes to solve"?. Not everyone have an Apple Store nearby and might actually have to drive for miles to the store you buy your phone from. And how many will actually open the box in front of the staff when you buy a brand new product. I have never in my life done so for any product. Why? Because I'm confident it will be "like new". And I have never afterword had a reason to have done it either, because the stuff has always been "flawless".

It would be absolute chaos in the stores if everyone would open their new box in front of store staff for every purchase that's done. It just shouldn't be necessary. But if I would buy a new iP5 today or a friend would, I would feel obliged to do that and would also recommend my friend to do that. It shouldn't have to be that way.

Have you been to an Apple store? I sincerely doubt you have...as ANY Apple store will request you open the box, boot & inspect the product if it's a tablet, phone or computer. It's been common practice for a while.

And yes...the iPhone is the 'best of the best'. The iPhone 5 sold more units in its first 30 days of existence than any other cell phone in history. A real, honest to goodness record. Whether you agree or not, the consumers have spoken with their wallets, reviews echo the consumers...and I'm happy as hell with our iPhone 5s ;)

You must've just gotten here...lol, no probels with older iPhones. Ha!

dont worry i've been reading this forums for a long time before i registered. Yes, there were problems with previous iphones, but NOT in numbers as big as they are now with the 5

Sure there were...you need to go back as educate yourself. There were plenty of people that 'claimed' they returned 3, 6, a dozen iPhones to get the 'perfect' specimen. As Apple gets more popular (over the past ten years)--so have the whiners and complainers crawled out of the wood work. It's hilarious reading some of these goofy comments. Apple has (as has been addressed in this thread) the best customer service in the entire world! Thirty days, no questions asked returns for FULL price. No restocking fees, fast exchanges without concern, immediate help (phone or store)...and still folks find the need to complain so loudly. It makes no sense. When you get a bad Apple, no pun intended....bring or send it back for an immediate exchange or refund. Simple.

To go a step further...I think what's so hard to believe is ALL these claims of damage without any kind of evidence. Sure there's a picture or two...but very, VERY few. Tends to make those of us that DO own the products and DON'T have the issues described to get curious...or even to 'doubt' the claims. Sorry, it's just human nature.

J

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I believe that a potential buyer has the right to expect an un-scuffed device out of the box, no questions asked. However, potential buyers must also understand that manufacturing processes are imperfect, and there's always a chance that their device won't be cosmetically clean. Thankfully, Apple is doing the right thing and allowing people to exchange for a "flawless" device.

I think what people are so upset about is the complaining. If you find that your device has scratches out of the box, you can return it within the first 30 days, no questions asked. And yet there were TONS of people flooding the forum shortly after launch with separate threads regarding their device being scuffed.

So yeah, I guess I'm being Switzerland here. Don't harass the people that care about the appearance of their iPhone, but also don't make a big deal about an issue (the scuffing) that is easily rectified.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I believe that a potential buyer has the right to expect an un-scuffed device out of the box, no questions asked. However, potential buyers must also understand that manufacturing processes are imperfect, and there's always a chance that their device won't be cosmetically clean. Thankfully, Apple is doing the right thing and allowing people to exchange for a "flawless" device.

I think what people are so upset about is the complaining. If you find that your device has scratches out of the box, you can return it within the first 30 days, no questions asked. And yet there were TONS of people flooding the forum shortly after launch with separate threads regarding their device being scuffed.

So yeah, I guess I'm being Switzerland here. Don't harass the people that care about the appearance of their iPhone, but also don't make a big deal about an issue (the scuffing) that is easily rectified.

Going through all those exchanges takes arguing and lots of valuable time of the buyer from driving and waiting. And that's if you live in the same city as an Apple store. Don't live near an Apple store? Then each exchange can be a week long through the post with $800 holds on your credit card or bank account until everything wraps up. With the multiple exchanges people have had to go through for an iPhone that Apple has claimed in its marketing to be made to a precision of microns, I don't blame them for complaining. Clearly many iPhones are not living up to what Apple has claimed in it's marketing and I would even go as far as to say it could be a systematic problem.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Haven't read this thread but mine was made in December and was pristine out of the box. Now it looks like trash.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Haven't read this thread but mine was made in December and was pristine out of the box. Now it looks like trash.

LMAO. Yeah, and here come the <insulting terms removed> to tell you that you're OCD and should be PROUD to own an iphone 5 even though it looks like it's been pounded with a hammer for hours on end simply after normal use for a few months.

----------

Stop trying to bully people with your petty ad hominem attacks. Your desperation to protect your false idol apple from legitimate criticisms is truly embarrassing.

There are other solutions for your low self esteem aside from worshiping apple. See what I did there?

LOL ok...

If you are at ALL concerned about the ridiculousness that is "scuffgate" (and most people, by HUGE percentages, are not) there is NO excuse for not taking "literally three minutes" to open and inspect your phone prior to leaving the store.

No. Not "everyone" has to do it, and it would not create "chaos" at the store. Mainly because not everyone freaks out over a teeny tiny "scuff" even if they do manage to find one, so there is no dire need to open the phone there in the first place. If you ARE one of those OCD people, it does "literally take three minutes" to open the box, scour the phone, and RETURN it. If you live far away that makes it even MORE critical, especially if it's a big deal to you.

If you choose not to, Apple STILL will let you return it. How awesome of them! Even if you "scuff" it yourself by being careless (serious damage not withstanding, because obviously "scuffgate" is about anything but serious damage...).

If you can't be bothered to take "3 minutes" to ensure your phone is satisfactory at the store, you deserve to have to take the drive BACK when you discover the horrible damage later on (and I'm not saying people would ever lie about causing it themselves... no way... that would be unbelievable...).

The "issue" is a joke. It's 100% normal for any mass manufactured product to not be flawless. I promise you for every person claiming they have a flawless 5 (or Note, or SGS3), if you gave someone 5 minutes to obsess over every nook and cranny they could find at least ONE "flaw".

So spare me the "people deserve a perfect product if they spend $X (X=any amount really... $199-$799 isn't THAT much to some people)". Even Rolex isn't flawless out of the box, and Ferrari's aren't 100% "scuff" free either at the time of delivery. You may have to look REALLY hard, but that's what "scuffgate" is about: looking really hard for damage that few (if any) normal people would even notice.

You can be as OCD as you want. But to imply there's a "problem" with something because you are isn't anything but laughable. How many ip5's get returned for "scuffs"? 1%? 1% of 1%? Less?

There is no problem with the phone, only problems with the users...

Last edited by a moderator:

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
This statement above reeks of a 'statement (that is based on) wishful thinking, and little, if any fact.

So just because you don't have any problems anyone who claimes that are full of BS and are just making stuff up? For what reason would anyone do that?

It IS OCD to find fault in and then return 5 iPhones.
Ok, so you say that one should just accept a faulty phone you just payed over $900 for or else you're OCD?

Especially because in most cases, anyone with ANY common sense would open the freakin box before you accept a functional, flawless phone....after receiving the first, second or even third 'bad' phone. In any case that I've bought directly from Apple they absolutely insist on me opening the box in store...make sure the computer boots, phone works or iPad connects.

Have you been to an Apple store? I sincerely doubt you have...as ANY Apple store will request you open the box, boot & inspect the product if it's a tablet, phone or computer. It's been common practice for a while.

No, I haven't been to an Apple store since we just have two in the whole of Sweden and none of them are remotely close to where I live. 99.99 (or close to it at least) of the iPhone purchases here are made in a huge electronics store, through your carrier (often delivered by mail) or by web order, delivered by mail. Opening it up and starting it, checking it works ok, before taking it out of the store is more or less impossible to do over here. It would make absolute chaos and hours of waiting times to buy things.

Apple has (as has been addressed in this thread) the best customer service in the entire world! Thirty days, no questions asked returns for FULL price. No restocking fees, fast exchanges without concern, immediate help (phone or store)...and still folks find the need to complain so loudly. It makes no sense. When you get a bad Apple, no pun intended....bring or send it back for an immediate exchange or refund. Simple.

Maybe that's spectacular in the US, but if I go to any of the biggest electronics stores here I get that return policy for any product i buy, regardless brand or value.

To go a step further...I think what's so hard to believe is ALL these claims of damage without any kind of evidence. Sure there's a picture or two...but very, VERY few. Tends to make those of us that DO own the products and DON'T have the issues described to get curious...or even to 'doubt' the claims. Sorry, it's just human nature.

J

I don't have the issues described on my iPhones or iPad. But I have an open mind and my first thought when people describes problems I don't have is not that they are lying. But that's just me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.