Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
Is there a program that will help me know where my files are across multiple HDDs that I keep in a drawer? I have a MacMini (late 2012) with 10.8.2 and since I have 10+ HDDs I only keep two attached at a time using docks and switch them out as needed. Only I never remember what is in each.

I do not want a RAID as I never need to access all at once and don't need all those discs constantly spinning. I maintain a copy of each drive as a backup.

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
thank you SO much!! I believe this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Program is up and running in 10.8.2 Mountain Lion and am doing 15-day trial!

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
or you can reformat each hard drive and give it a name. (but make sure make a copy of the content then put it back in after formatting)

example

D: vacation picture
E: work videos
H: cat collection

Nov 28, 2010
located
or you can reformat each hard drive and give it a name. (but make sure make a copy of the content then put it back in after formatting)

example

D: vacation picture
E: work videos
H: cat collection

Where does this idea come from, that in order to rename a volume on a Hard Disk Drive (HDD) requires reformatting? Those days are long gone, you can simply rename any volume you have write rights for via Finder > CMD+SHIFT+C > right click on the volume you want to rename > GET INFO > Name & Extension.

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
Where does this idea come from, that in order to rename a volume on a Hard Disk Drive (HDD) requires reformatting? Those days are long gone, you can simply rename any volume you have write rights for via Finder > CMD+SHIFT+C > right click on the volume you want to rename > GET INFO > Name & Extension.

the idea came from windows *just switched to mac 2 weeks ago*. but thanks for showing me how to do it the mac way.

Nov 28, 2010
located
the idea came from windows *just switched to mac 2 weeks ago*. but thanks for showing me how to do it the mac way.

What version of Windows were you using? Windows 3.1?

I was able to rename volumes, or drives as they are called in Windows, with Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 7. I cannot remember Windows 95 and 98 that well, but then again, it has been quite a while.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Windows Volume names were never set in stone, even going way back to using DOS you were able to change them using "label".

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, I could have used that command 17 years ago, but then again, I would not be here.

Strange, that somehow people think, in Windows it is not possible to rename a volume without formatting, and I am still curious where that comes from, as this is not the first time I have seen that mentioned here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.