Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
anyone have or heard good reviews on the Dell S2740L? i know its super glossy like the thunderbolt display/imac's. but i found one for a decent price ($300 for a 27") and have never seen it in person. any help would be great. thanks in advance.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
more than i could ask for. thank you. also great comparisons among other monitors. i will use that site often.

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
I don't mean to mock, but seriously, 1920x1080 on a 27" screen?

Maybe if your eyes were failing but otherwise I think it would look horrendous. I've been wanting to get a 27" for some time now, trouble is the shops around my place only display samsungs and they're all 1920x1080. I honestly can't stand the look of it. 24" is as large as I'll go for that resolution.

I wish some of them would have the TBD and Dells side by side. I'd really like to see if the Dell's AG is as bad as rumoured. Currently on assignment in Singapore and the retail shops don't have a return policy, not even the Apple resellers.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
Unless you have specific reasons why you're gunning for that resolution at that size, I agree with iamsen47 here.

You can get a Korean IPS 27" monitor with 2560 x 1440 resolution for roughly $350ish. If you feel uncomfortable with the sketchy "warranty", you could buy a model offered by Microcenter for $400ish (also has a display port input, which I believe macs with integrated graphics need to run at that resolution unless you go dual-dvi, which sets you back $70, correct me if I'm wrong), or a Monoprice one for about the same price and it comes with a 1 year warranty.

At $300, you can also get a Dell U2412M with superior resolution (1920 x 1200) at 24" and additional perks (better, adjustable stand, USB hub, etc.), or if the AG coating bothers you, you could get a Viewsonic VP2365-LED (another 24") which has much lighter AG coating, although less perks and smaller resolution (1920 x 1080).

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
so you cannot get a that resolution without mini dp/thunderbolt port? i actually have a 24" now and i need at least a 27" that is thinner and newer. my lcd im using now is actually a sony all in one pc from 2007, but it has hdmi control without turning the pc on(i tore the guts out). its cloudy. and sketchy. the sound goes out and i have to unplug it then plug it back in. class act over here but i make it look nice :D

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
so you cannot get a that resolution without mini dp/thunderbolt port? i actually have a 24" now and i need at least a 27" that is thinner and newer. my lcd im using now is actually a sony all in one pc from 2007, but it has hdmi control without turning the pc on(i tore the guts out). its cloudy. and sketchy. the sound goes out and i have to unplug it then plug it back in. class act over here but i make it look nice :D

I can't tell you that for certain, maybe someone more knowledgeable or someone who actually owns one can tell you, but it is to my understanding that Macbooks that only have integrated graphics must use Display port or Dual-DVI if they want to get that resolution through an external monitor.

Well, why do you need the 27"? Do you need the resolution bump? Or do you just want the added space? Because if you're happy with 1920 x 1080, or 1920 x 1200, there's no real reason to get it in 27" unless your eyes are really bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.