Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I did not call you a troll.

I did not ask why you are posting this.

I did not call you crazy or stupid.

You will not put words in my mouth.

I will not argue with you.

I did not say you did, but some people did. I was saying this because you were asking why I posted it.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Why? You haven't been happy with the discussion thus far. What makes you think it's worth anyone's time to indulge you further? Opinions don't change; yours won't.

I did not say you did, but some people did. I was saying this because you were asking why I posted it.

I did not ask why you posted the thread. I questioned the validity of seeking to coax more responses when you didn't particularly like the previous ones, unless it's just to prolong the thread.

hefman

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2004
The funny thing about this thread is that the OP is not really asking for an open dialog on his opinions. He is just looking to air them out to us. I can only guess that his point is to try to sway some of us into agreeing with him. The fact he simply parrots the same argument over and over, without listening to responses, is proof of that.

We already know the OP has a built in bias toward Apple. The comment that the early Apple computers "sucked" shows this. It's kind of laughable, and, if nothing else, just a plain old marginally-informed, biased opinion. As someone who worked with both PCs and Apples in the early days, I can tell you that this opinion is not shared by a large portion of us who regularly used both. I can remember the days of waiting in a line of layout and graphic designers to use the Macs, while several PCs all sat idle. Again though, he is spouting his opinion as if it were fact, in hopes that we will come around to his way of thinking.

The bottom line has been repeated over and over on here. If so many people were so upset with Apple's tactics, they wouldn't be the top-selling smartphone of all time. Every iPhone forum has the hater element trying to "sell" Apple customers on how horrible Apple is as a company, with the whole "fanboy" taunt and the "look what they are doing now" stuff. If they really actually LOOKED at the facts, they would find that Apple is really no different than any other successful company. It's only because so many people like their products that the hater backlash element is so prevalent.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
When was said

"Only Apple would have done something like this." Was said by Tim Cook when talking about how they build their stores. I think it was during the iPad 3 keynote. Edit nope 4S

At 4:05.

He'd been saying it all along. I just love how he talks.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
The funny thing about this thread is that the OP is not really asking for an open dialog on his opinions. He is just looking to air them out to us. I can only guess that his point is to try to sway some of us into agreeing with him. The fact he simply parrots the same argument over and over, without listening to responses, is proof of that.

We already know the OP has a built in bias toward Apple. The comment that the early Apple computers "sucked" shows this. It's kind of laughable, and, if nothing else, just a plain old marginally-informed, biased opinion. As someone who worked with both PCs and Apples in the early days, I can tell you that this opinion is not shared by a large portion of us who regularly used both. I can remember the days of waiting in a line of layout and graphic designers to use the Macs, while several PCs all sat idle. Again though, he is spouting his opinion as if it were fact, in hopes that we will come around to his way of thinking.

The bottom line has been repeated over and over on here. If so many people were so upset with Apple's tactics, they wouldn't be the top-selling smartphone of all time. Every iPhone forum has the hater element trying to "sell" Apple customers on how horrible Apple is as a company, with the whole "fanboy" taunt and the "look what they are doing now" stuff. If they really actually LOOKED at the facts, they would find that Apple is really no different than any other successful company. It's only because so many people like their products that the hater backlash element is so prevalent.

Well I do believe as a whole android has sold more smartphones they just have 3 or 4 different companies making them. I also believe that android has more of a market share which again I know has more phones to offer, but still more people choose android over Apple. People like to have options

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Well I do believe as a whole android has sold more smartphones they just have 3 or 4 different companies making them. I also believe that android has more of a market share which again I know has more phones to offer, but still more people choose android over Apple. People like to have options

YES!! People do like to have options. And my, as well as many others, choose to have an iPhone. So yes, we think it's worth it, because we have all these other options and we still choose the iPhone. That's what you're original question was about right?

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
YES!! People do like to have options. And my, as well as many others, choose to have an iPhone. So yes, we think it's worth it, because we have all these other options and we still choose the iPhone. That's what you're original question was about right?

Yep thank you. Right to the point

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Honestly? It's not worth it, I mean the Nexus 4 costs HALF the price, how can one say the iPhone 5 is worth it?

I bought the iPhone 5 because it's more a gaming platform and only because the jailbreak is imminent, but just by judging the cost/benefit it's not a good purchase, I still do it because right now that's what fits more my lifestyle.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Honestly? It's not worth it, I mean the Nexus 4 costs HALF the price, how can one say the iPhone 5 is worth it?

I bought the iPhone 5 because it's more a gaming platform and only because the jailbreak is imminent, but just by judging the cost/benefit it's not a good purchase, I still do it because right now that's what fits more my lifestyle.

I could not agree with you more. If you talk about just buying the phones right out I can see no real great feature on the iphone that makes it what $250 more then the nexus 4. That is my point I don't think the iphone is worth that much more than the other google phones on the market. If we did not have subsidized prices there is no way the iphone would sale as well as it has.

Thanks for just giving me your thought without telling me how crappy my post was and why I was asking the question on this site.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Some people thought LTE was worth it. Nexus 4 doesn't offer it. Some people might think the higher PPI is worth it. Probably not as it's such a minuscule difference that it shouldn't make a difference. Some people like iOS way better than Android. Some people want more than 16GB of storage . The Nexus 4 doesn't offer that. There's several reasons why people might consider the iPhone better than the Nexus 4. There are plenty of people who probably consider the Nexus 4 better than the iPhone.

I'm just not sure why you care so much about whether we think the iPhone is worth it. Buy what you want to buy. Use what works for you. I'll use what works for me. I have no idea if it will always be an iPhone.

AlterZgo

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
The whole premise of the original post is rather weak. I've been using and buying Apple products for a LONG time - like since the Apple ][+. I bought Macs when people thought I was an idiot for spending thousands on a computer made by a company about to go bankrupt and I bought iPads and iPhones through the years.

The bottomline is, I buy products that fit my personal needs. I couldn't care less about how unpopular Apple was in 1996, couldn't care less about how popular they were in 2010, and now couldn't care less about how people perceive Apple to have jumped the shark in 2013.

Why? Because I buy products that fit MY needs, not the fashion whims of the public or for personal validation of self worth.

Do you like your iPhone/iPad/Mac/etc.? If yes, who gives a rats azz about what others think?

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
If we did not have subsidized prices there is no way the iphone would sale as well as it has.

So your theory is: if people had to pay 3x more for their iPhone; then fewer iPhones would be sold. You must be a financial genius or something to figure out something so obvious. I wonder if that's why most smartphones sold in the country are subsidized?

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
The whole premise of the original post is rather weak. I've been using and buying Apple products for a LONG time - like since the Apple ][+. I bought Macs when people thought I was an idiot for spending thousands on a computer made by a company about to go bankrupt and I bought iPads and iPhones through the years.

The bottomline is, I buy products that fit my personal needs. I couldn't care less about how unpopular Apple was in 1996, couldn't care less about how popular they were in 2010, and now couldn't care less about how people perceive Apple to have jumped the shark in 2013.

Why? Because I buy products that fit MY needs, not the fashion whims of the public or for personal validation of self worth.

Do you like your iPhone/iPad/Mac/etc.? If yes, who gives a rats azz about what others think?

Yea I completely understand. I try to find the phone that best suits my needs which is most likely none of them because I really don't "need" a smartphone I just want one. I switch back and forth cause I get tired of both. Back when I was a college student I thought Apple was way to expensive so that is why I never got anything made by them. I love my ipad and don't think there is an tablet that comes close to it, but I don't feel the same way about my iphone 5.

----------

So your theory is: if people had to pay 3x more for their iPhone; then fewer iPhones would be sold. You must be a financial genius or something to figure out something so obvious. I wonder if that's why most smartphones sold in the country are subsidized?

No my point was that less iPhones would be sold cause they cost some much more than the very equal android phones. $350 is a lot closer to what people pay for the subsidized iphone 5. A lot of android phone at Verizon are subsidized at $299 so the nexus is only $50 more. I think that is why the nexus 4 is staying sold out. I think this is the best selling nexus phone because they got the sweet spot in pricing. You can buy an unlocked GSM phone and not have to worry about that stupid 2 year contract. That is what I was saying. Thanks for trying to put words in my mouth.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
Ok so I am a long time buyer of Apple products and notice I did not say fan. I had the iphone 3G then the iphone 4. I also have a MacBook and an ipad 2. While I like the products Apple has as a company I am not too fond of. After I was tired of my iphone 4 I got an android phone and had several before getting the iphone 5 which is what I am using currently.

I wanted to give you some back ground before I went into my rant or whatever you want to call it. Ok so I have heard it many times from people the phrase " iPhone *******" and really did not think that much of it. I am really starting to understand why they would say that. After seeing 3 or 4 iphone keynotes over the iPhones lifetime it seems Apple has this mind set of look at how great we are. Why did Steve Jobs and now Tim Cook have to tell us every time how many apps have been paid for and downloaded, and how many apps there are in the App Store. We all know how big the App Store is and how they sell a ton them. Also they point out how the iphone they are holding in there hand is the best smartphone ever made and nothing can come close. Then they decide they need to show us how well the last iphone sold. Why just let us decide with our money how awesome the iphone is. It just has that douche bag mind set of greatness. Now I am not saying that Apple should not get praised for there great products, but let other people do that not do it yourself it come off like you are an A**hole. Customers who buy the iphone get roped into that same category.

I am not saying that being called an iphone ***** is something to keep someone from buying an iphone. Just think about why you are buying an iphone. Is it because you love the phone and the feature it brings or are you buying into the mind set of look how cool I am I got an iphone. I mean people go out of the way to get a case that shows the apple logo.

I am not saying every owner of an iPhone is like this, but we get grouped into that category when we do buy them. Stereotypes have to start from something, and this one is one of the many that have enough evidence to back it. It just makes me hate Apple and what they state for even more. I am sure most of the comments I get want help me like them any more either.

I believe that Apple has created and continues to create an atmosphere of "Mass Craze" and through the overwhelming popularity, a good portion of buyers are buying because it's part of the latest and "everyone else has it." The mention of the number of Apps sold is a tremendous discriminator from the rest of the field. The variety of apps, echo system and customer service support has kept me with them throughout the years and I personally welcome the "bragging." Without their amped up annual WWDCs, they may lose some popular sales.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
There is nothing worse than Apple lovers that will defend Apple to the bitter end.
I would say there is nothing worse than self absorbed people that make threads on forums whining about apple and those that like/dislike them but that's just me.

Who cares what others use and who cares what you use? Use what you like and move on with life.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I would say there is nothing worse than self absorbed people that make threads on forums whining about apple and those that like/dislike them but that's just me.

Who cares what others use and who cares what you use? Use what you like and move on with life.

Well no one told you and the other 100 posters they had to say anything. So why are you wasting mine and your time. Move on if you don't like it.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
No my point was that less iPhones would be sold cause they cost some much more than the very equal android phones. $350 is a lot closer to what people pay for the subsidized iphone 5. A lot of android phone at Verizon are subsidized at $299 so the nexus is only $50 more.

Pretty much all flagship devices are subsidized to $199 for the cheapest model. I'm not sure what prices you are quoting.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung/galaxy-s-iii-garnet-red.html#fbid=MgZq-P-pRUy

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/apple/iphone/5-16gb-black.html

It's just that Samsung offers higher storage capacity in the form of SD cards bought separately instead of the fixed increments that apple has.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Pretty much all flagship devices are subsidized to $199 for the cheapest model. I'm not sure what prices you are quoting.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung/galaxy-s-iii-garnet-red.html#fbid=MgZq-P-pRUy

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/apple/iphone/5-16gb-black.html

It's just that Samsung offers higher storage capacity in the form of SD cards bought separately instead of the fixed increments that apple has.

This is one example .
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359599663.180349.jpg

Also when the galaxy nexus was first released it was $299 on Verizon.

Oh and here is the galaxy not at Verizon
https://m.verizonwireless.com/Shop/Details/Smartphones_-_4G_LTE/2655
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359599772.317447.jpg

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
This is one example .
View attachment 393693

Also when the galaxy nexus was first released it was $299 on Verizon.

Oh and here is the galaxy not at Verizon
https://m.verizonwireless.com/Shop/Details/Smartphones_-_4G_LTE/2655
View attachment 393694

The Note II is basically a higher class and is the same price at AT&T ($299 on contract).

The razor maxx is also 32GB standard which puts at nearly the same subsidized price as the iPhone 5 32GB.

So no one is really paying more or less. Looking through most off contract prices, the iPhone only $100 more than the other ones for comparable memory storage units.

It's all down to personal preference. That's all this thread is really about.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
The Note II is basically a higher class and is the same price at AT&T ($299 on contract).

The razor maxx is also 32GB standard which puts at nearly the same subsidized price as the iPhone 5 32GB.

So no one is really paying more or less. Looking through most off contract prices, the iPhone only $100 more than the other ones for comparable memory storage units.

It's all down to personal preference. That's all this thread is really about.

Wait why are we putting the note II in a higher class?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Wait why are we putting the note II in a higher class?

It's almost an in between device with the screen of that size and some of key functionality differences. To me, it's always been a completely different field of smart phone. Higher than a regular smartphone, yet less than a true tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.