Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reflx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
I was trying to delete the hidden files on my USB stick through my Mac when after deleting some of the files there was a file called ".DS_Store" on my desktop. I went and moved it to the trash but once I clicked "Empty Trash" is duplicated itself back to my desktop on its own. I was using a program called Houdini 3 to see and delete my hidden files and now that its on my Mac I was wondering if it shows all the hidden files now and this ".DS_Store" was one of them hidden on my desktop. I have no idea, I just need some help deleting this annoying file.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was trying to delete the hidden files on my USB stick through my Mac when after deleting some of the files there was a file called ".DS_Store" on my desktop. I went and moved it to the trash but once I clicked "Empty Trash" is duplicated itself back to my desktop on its own. I was using a program called Houdini 3 to see and delete my hidden files and now that its on my Mac I was wondering if it shows all the hidden files now and this ".DS_Store" was one of them hidden on my desktop. I have no idea, I just need some help deleting this annoying file.
You don't need to worry about deleting .DS_Store files. They are created automatically, and are normally hidden. If you don't understand what something is, you shouldn't be deleting it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.