Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Great, non-biased article. He basically showed that if you hold gaming as a priority, skip right to the point and max out your 27", except the RAM. RAM can always be bought for dimes on the dollar elsewhere (shameful, Apple).

And in closing, he states what we all know: If money means absoulutely anything to you, get a Windows box for gaming.

Personally, I gave up gaming on computers altogether, and learned to love my XBox. As compared to PC/Mac gaming: console cost 90% less, games (pre-owned) cost 20-70% less, and most importantly, on PC/Mac, I spent about 80% of my time with a game fiddling with options to get it to run better. On the XBox, I spend 100% of my time with a game enjoying it.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Great, non-biased article. He basically showed that if you hold gaming as a priority, skip right to the point and max out your 27", except the RAM. RAM can always be bought for dimes on the dollar elsewhere (shameful, Apple).

And in closing, he states what we all know: If money means absoulutely anything to you, get a Windows box for gaming.

Personally, I gave up gaming on computers altogether, and learned to love my XBox. As compared to PC/Mac gaming: console cost 90% less, games (pre-owned) cost 20-70% less, and most importantly, on PC/Mac, I spent about 80% of my time with a game fiddling with options to get it to run better. On the XBox, I spend 100% of my time with a game enjoying it.

How does World of Warcraft run on your XBox ?

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
I've wanted one of these the moment they were announced. I have all the games on the list, and they run great on my higher end 2010 iMac, but I definitely can't super max everything, especially The Witcher 2.

Also @ console man. Enjoying your medium range graphics and awesome low rez gaming? :p How about the complete lack of any good RTS games and some notable RPG's such as Diablo, Torchlight, Witcher. (thought witchier 2 made it xbox, PC/Mac is still the better version.)

To each their own, but PC/Mac will always have the best experience in terms of graphics, options, mods and multiplayer so long as you have the requisite hardware. I never have to fiddle with stuff, and I do understand the "It just works" mode of consoles.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I think my primary draw to PC Gaming are the MMOs out there. Yes, some of those are coming to Mac, but as I understand it with mixed results. And I do enjoy my 360.

Blaquespell

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
To be fair, Torchlight (1) is on the Xbox and I find it to be better than the desktop.

I've wanted one of these the moment they were announced. I have all the games on the list, and they run great on my higher end 2010 iMac, but I definitely can't super max everything, especially The Witcher 2.

Also @ console man. Enjoying your medium range graphics and awesome low rez gaming? :p How about the complete lack of any good RTS games and some notable RPG's such as Diablo, Torchlight, Witcher. (thought witchier 2 made it xbox, PC/Mac is still the better version.)

To each their own, but PC/Mac will always have the best experience in terms of graphics, options, mods and multiplayer so long as you have the requisite hardware. I never have to fiddle with stuff, and I do understand the "It just works" mode of consoles.

Gizmo22

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
Midwest USA
I'd like to see a Torchlight compatible with an old joystick, 6 button panel similar to the Dark Gauntlet games. MAME heaven.

With respect to Borderlands 2, while bordering on the thin line of trolling, I would say no one should care. Personally, found it considerably less entertaining than the first Borderlands. Chalk it up to "growing up" perhaps, but I played, replayed, and replayed again [the first Borderlands].

The second I quit after probably 2 hours.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.