Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
What do I need to do in order to prepare for the jailbreak release if it comes. I had the iphone 5 when released but the wife took it and I ended up with the nexus 4, now I want to use the iphone 5 for stability I guess you could say if that. But yea I still havent jailbreaked an iphone since my iphone 3g and that was before all this shsh blobs stuff I still dont get? If someone could explain great or point me to a thread, but steps to prepare a new iphone 5 would be appreciated thanks.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Use iTunes to restore it to 6.1 firmware...
And use TinyUmbrella to begin saving your SHSH

Do you HAVE to do a restore and then save your shsh, or is it OK to go ahead and save them if you're already on 6.1? I really don't want to have to do a restore just to save the blobs if I don't have to.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Like D said above just restore it to the latest 6.1 and then you can JB it.
Dont take too long cause they might release an update within a week or so after the public JB is out.

----------

Do you HAVE to do a restore and then save your shsh, or is it OK to go ahead and save them if you're already on 6.1? I really don't want to have to do a restore just to save the blobs if I don't have to.

You dont need a restore if you are already on 6.1
You can save your SHSH blobs using tinyumbrella at any time no matter what firmware version you're on.
If you went up to 6.1 using an OTA delta update then its advised to do a restore in order to be able to use those blobs in the future.

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
I think your terms throw me off because when I see restore I immediately associate that with a backup restore. I guess restore through itunes means update it to 6.1? If so, what does it come with out of the store , say at&t?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I think your terms throw me off because when I see restore I immediately associate that with a backup restore. I guess restore through itunes means update it to 6.1? If so, what does it come with out of the store , say at&t?

Yes, pretty much what an itunes restore would do is update your iphone to the latest firmware 6.1
Most likelly it will come with 6.0.1 preinstalled or 6.0.2.

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
Most likelly it will come with 6.0.1 preinstalled or 6.0.2.

I got my iphone5 replaced at apple on Tuesday, and it came with 6.0.2, the guy at the genius bar said he would be very surprised if it came with anything else. It probably takes a week or so for them to get through their stock before the ones with 6.1 start coming through.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I got my iphone5 replaced at apple on Tuesday, and it came with 6.0.2, the guy at the genius bar said he would be very surprised if it came with anything else. It probably takes a week or so for them to get through their stock before the ones with 6.1 start coming through.

It's not always consistent.

I've gotten replacements with iOS versions months old sometimes, others very recent. It's definitely luck of the draw.

Also ( and correct me if im wrong) but when the JB is ready and you install doesn't your blobs get saved then. Maybe the JB app or Cydia saves them ( not sure which.

No. False. Once jailbroken, your device will be placed into a queue for Cydia to save them. Will it eventually save them? Perhaps. But you are MUCH better off saving them on your own.

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
So I just found out if I was to buy an iPhone5 now I can't unlock it or it would be considered illegal? Wth

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
So I just found out if I was to buy an iPhone5 now I can't unlock it or it would be considered illegal? Wth

You can still unlock it.
Those 3rd party unlocks go through the carrier system so its not like they'll be able to tell if an AT&T agent did it for you or someone else on the inside.
Also IMO its not like anyone would care if you unlock your own iphone.

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
You can still unlock it.
Those 3rd party unlocks go through the carrier system so its not like they'll be able to tell if an AT&T agent did it for you or someone else on the inside.
Also IMO its not like anyone would care if you unlock your own iphone.

This is true how can I assure my at&t ip5 wasn't updated to 6.1 out the box when I take it home?

buy a factory unlocked one

Not if I want to use an at&t upgrade?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
This is true how can I assure my at&t ip5 wasn't updated to 6.1 out the box when I take it home?

Not if I want to use an at&t upgrade?

You won't know for sure, but I know that if you buy at a retail store (Apple, at least), they'll force you to activate it in store. So if you open it at that point you'll be able to check for sure.

I would estimate iPhones in stock won't have 6.1 for sure until late Februrary/early March, even then they may have backlogged stock.

Buying an unlocked phone is useless unless you are going international.

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
So I just got my ip5 ( it came with 6.0.1) and I'm restoring and updating it via itunes and it says Downloading 1 item like 65 minutes remaining? Does that sound correct? Seems like a long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.