Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demon505

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Yesterday my Mac had an error message that told me to reboot my Mac. When I did it would try to boot up and then shut off and then try to boot up and shut down. This happened for a while until it finally started up but now it runs supper slow. I'm not sure what's wrong with it or what to do.

Nov 28, 2010
located
What you experienced is called a "kernel panic", sometimes nothing to worry about, but when it is repeating, you should investigate the cause.

Can you post what exact MacBook Pro and Mac OS X version you use?

To find out what Mac OS X version you run, click :apple: > About This Mac:
IDyourMacOS.png
To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
IDyourMacModel.png
To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​

Open Activity Monitor and select All Processes and then sort by CPU to show you the process(es) slowing down your Mac and also go to the System Memory* tab and look for Page Outs and Swap used and report back.

If you want to enhance the performance of your Mac, be sure to check these two articles, do not just use applications, that promise to do it for you.

Demon505

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
My OS is version 10.6.8
My model is MacBookPro8,1
Highest CPU is kernel_task
Page outs is 0 bytes
Swap used is 0 bytes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.