Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
hopefully they fired that guy. Whoever designed that mouse deserves to be fired.

Apple really hasn't made a comfortable-to-use mouse since this one, and that was a loooong time ago…

300px-Apple-ADB-mouse.jpg

Plastic? They've learned....

Ha, ha… Brilliant! My vote for comment of the month. :)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I don't see how it is NOT a budget device. $329 for a 7.9 inch premium tablet that will likely be sold for $249 when the next years retina models come out. Besides the Kindle and the Nexus tablets which are designed to be sold for little or no profit, all other $199 tablets low end specs and build. And 7.9 inch tablet with a 4:3 aspect ratio is more like a 8.5 inch tablet with a 16:10 ratio tablet (the same way the 9.5 inch iPad has actually bigger screen area vs the 10.1 inch tablets from the competition).

A budget model of a device is generally one that has nothing going for it over the premium model except price. The iPad Mini has proved, however, to NOT be inferior to the full sized iPad when price is taken out of the equation. Many people who could easily afford a full sized iPad opt to buy the Mini instead, as they like the size, and even some people who already have a full sized iPad are buying the Mini.

However if Apple brought out a budget iPhone, can you imagine anyone that already has a full sized iPhone, or could afford a full sized iPhone, buying it? I can't, unless it's just to review/try out the device.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
So Tim found another way to shave a penny! Why am I scared that this "cheaper" iPhone is for the next regular iPhone? Tim "Bigger Margins" Cook might.

That said, if the internals of an AppleTV are costing $99, what is stopping Apple from releasing a slightly more expensive iPhone?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
So Tim found another way to shave a penny! Why am I scared that this "cheaper" iPhone is for the next regular iPhone? Tim "Bigger Margins" Cook might.

That said, if the internals of an AppleTV are costing $99, what is stopping Apple from releasing a slightly more expensive iPhone?

I really don't think the flagship iPhone will return to plastic. If they do make a plastic iPhone again, it will undoubtably be a budget model for emerging markets.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Apple boss: "So you're interested in the position. Have you made much with plastic."

Joe Smith: "I played with Legos for years as a kid."

Apple boss: "Welcome aboard!"

1Alec1

macrumors regular
Apple really hasn't made a comfortable-to-use mouse since this one, and that was a loooong time ago…

What about the Mighty Mouse? I also thought the puck mouse felt good to hold even though others hated it. Anyway I'd never use an Apple mouse unless it's a Mighty or Magic Mouse. Right-click and the scroll wheel are essential.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
What about the Mighty Mouse? I also thought the puck mouse felt good to hold even though others hated it. Anyway I'd never use an Apple mouse unless it's a Mighty or Magic Mouse. Right-click and the scroll wheel are essential.

Of course you wouldn't use it today - That mouse is Apple Serial Bus rather than USB and was used 15-20 yrs ago :) And as for the mighty mouse... It was pretty decent in terms of comfort, but the god-awful scroll wheel ruined it.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
Whatever it is, it's usually 2 years at least between inception and production. Not holding my breath on this one.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
A budget model of a device is generally one that has nothing going for it over the premium model except price. The iPad Mini has proved, however, to NOT be inferior to the full sized iPad when price is taken out of the equation. Many people who could easily afford a full sized iPad opt to buy the Mini instead, as they like the size, and even some people who already have a full sized iPad are buying the Mini.

However if Apple brought out a budget iPhone, can you imagine anyone that already has a full sized iPhone, or could afford a full sized iPhone, buying it? I can't, unless it's just to review/try out the device.

You got a point there, I did not think about it that way.

teejaysyke

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
Now how are you all going to bash the Galaxy S 3? You can't use the plastic gimmick any longer /sarcasm.

Plastic, glass, aluminum, paper, i don't give a crap what the phone is made out of, as long as it works properly.

Masterkona

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
Is it possible the "Plastic case" is actually liquid metal?

To refer to an interview with one of the inventors of liquid metal "Liquid Metal is more likely in the form of a small component such as a hinge or bracket. A MacBook casing, such as a unibody, will take two to four more years to implement." This interview took place about 1.5 years ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...eakthrough-product-made-from-Liquidmetal.html

Coincidence?

To quote the wikipedia explanation of what liquid metal is "Liquidmetal can be formed into complex shapes using processes similar to thermoplastics, which makes Liquidmetal a potential replacement for many applications where plastics would normally be used.

From what I understand it would be cheaper to produce then a glass/ aluminum frame, would be unbreakable (giving it a huge marketing advantage), and could be easily accomplished. If they do this properly, they could make an IPhone + and an IPhone mini that would leverage the new technology.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Do you guys reckon for lighter weight, future phones, Apple would eventually switch to using carbon fibre ? (the same as speculated for the Macbook's for Apples' goal of being lighter weight)

Or do you think Apple would stick to glass, because they want the iPhone to be fashionable. ?

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
There are some very interesting plastics out there.

I dunno folks... I look at my 4S and marvel at the precision machine engineering that went into the thing.
One resin family is call Ultem, it is an extremely tough resin. I've slammed Utem resin with a three pound hammer and not even dented it. Some variants of this material process at 750 degrees which is similar to zinc based die castings. Tough stuff!!?,
Plastic meh. Give me rubber... something that bounces on concrete. :(

Plastic can bounce. It really comes down to what you use. Futher you can do neat things like over mold it or double injection mold the material to realize interesting designs. Plastic is a very versatile material. You need to divorce yourself from the run of the mill consumer plastic device and consider what is done today with engineered resins.

----------

I love my girlfriends best friend.

That is the difference between us. I love my girlfriend. ;-)

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
What about the Mighty Mouse?

Was that the shiny pill shaped one? I think I nick-named that one Flighty Mouse, for feeling like it wanted to slip out of my hand and skittle away. For me, it was a pass if you had to use it for about 30 minutes maybe.

I also thought the puck mouse felt good to hold even though others hated it.

A truly awful design IMO. It wasn't just that it felt awkward to hold, but it gave you zero feedback (by feel) of which way was up and which was down. If the mouse rotated slightly in your hands, suddenly the cursor wasn't going exactly where you wanted it to go. At the time, some enterprising company came out with plastic covers you could clip over them, to give you something more substantial to hold. I bought one of these and it was an improvement, but before too long I switched to a very simple Logitech mouse and I've never looked back. I tip my hat to Sir Ive for many of his wonderful designs… but that was one of his disasters I'm afraid.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
<insert smarmy comment about how Apple would never use Plastic as it's cheap>

:rolleyes:

I still think it won't.

I still think that whilst the iPhone 5 is a sexy phone, it'd be nicer with the glossy plastic back of the 3/3s. Nothing wrong with plastic.

I agree, it's nothing wrong with it. But is no where as good as the ones build with premium materials and i find iPhone 5 sexiest of all iPhone's. Personalty I just can't see Apple going back to plastic for iPhone's.

M

Mr.damien

Though Apple has focused heavily on aluminum for the iPad, the iPhone, and the MacBook line for the past few years, the Cupertino-based company has continued used plastics for the Apple TV, the Airport Extreme, keyboards, and other accessories.
I am not sure, what they describe in their job posting seems to be more applicable in product packaging.

CF: "Apple plastic processing such as thermoforming, foam molding, blow molding, etc."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.