Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Am currently looking into other burning type applications like Toast 11 (all-in-one suite), but other software that do the same thing.

I guess prefer stand-alone, as that way i can only install the stuff i need, instead of having 'bloatware' on my Mac which i don't use.

Must do video (converting to and/from dvd video/formats), (Audio CD - converting to certain, or most formats with the help of Perian), (burn data pc and or Hybrid (PC/Mac), making ISO image from files/disc, would be the main ones.

Also, a better Disc Cover maker (e.g.... Disc Cover in Toast that you would use to create your own CD/DVD inserts.

I''m open to suggestions as to any alternatives ..... DOn't mind Free, as always, but don't mind paying either, if its any good.

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: drutil...

Hi Tech198,

If you don't want `bloatware', then you could just use the routines already built into the Mac OS for this. I believe the "drutil" utility will do everything you require, including burning, making ISOs, etc. See the manpage "man drutil" for documentation.

Regards,
Switon

P.S. If you use MacPorts or Fink, then there are also a number of commandline utilities in the dvd+rw-tools package to do the same "burn" operations.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
ok..... 'bloatware' meaning a full suite with TiVo transfer and other related stuff..

I'm not that tech savy with Terminal, so it must be software..... I'm just not after installing 900MB worth of stuff (when i only use x application)

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
ok thanks.... Tried this but it doesn't support .AVI files..

Even with perian installed, the files are greyed out...... Suggesting i may manually need to convert them first....

ANy other software ?

coryskyes

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
i think so,For me burn is best burning software for mac.thanks for your sharing
3.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.