Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhythmic-

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
I know that feeling man. I just bought the Spigen Ultra Slim last night, after just buying the Power Support Bumper last week. I just spent about $90 on two cases in a span of 6 days.

Will be making a thread comparing both. I've seen a few people on here asking for a side by side comparison. I should get the spigen case tomorrow.

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
I know that feeling man. I just bought the Spigen Ultra Slim last night, after just buying the Power Support Bumper last week. I just spent about $90 on two cases in a span of 6 days.

Will be making a thread comparing both. I've seen a few people on here asking for a side by side comparison. I should get the spigen case tomorrow.

Hey cool. Looking forward to your review. And oh, yeah, welcome to the DC (Disease Club), haw!

dinesh29888

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
I had a case mate tough (35$ including shipping to india) from Mobilefun.in on day one ... and a $4 scratch guard from a local shop.
After few weeks i liked the belkin grip candy sheer and felt my case mate is too bulky so i ordered the belkin from Thecellguru ($25.52 including shipping ) and received it after 1month.
I liked the matte scratch guard so again changed my scratch guard from a local shop for $10.
Always been a fan of total body protection with a wet installation as it gives a good grip so went with BestSkinzever which costed me $10.98 including shipping.
Liked the side decals from Lucky labs so ordered that for $13.75 pack of 3.
Was never aware of the tempered glass from Bodyguardz and Spigen Glas.tr and the day when i knew went with the spigen Glas.tr but the shipping from spigen website was costing me a lot and ebay was not accepting my card. So ordered it from Caseaddict.com for $33 & they mailed me back saying they don't have the Glas.tr in stock but they have a different brand USG + which comes from the same factory of spigen but with a different packing so i asked them to send me ... Received it in a week installation was good but left with a bubble on the top left of the screen.
So i wanted to remove it and install it 100% perfect. This time went with Spigen Glas.tr from their official website plus the Ultra thin air which costed me $70.58 including shipping ...
So total till now i have spent $203 :(

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
OMG! OP- totally understand the addiction but I moved on in 2013. Seriously, my New Year's resolution was "no more cases".

My problem is that I would find the perfect case for me with my phone but then when I got a new iPhone, the previous company would change up the design just enough where the new design wouldn't work for me with the new phone. So all the hard work of finding the perfect case would start all over again. I'm not one that has to have a plethora of cases to change them up, I just want the one perfect case.

For me, the only way I could justify the absolute wastefulness of the whole pile of cases collecting dust, was to get rid of them. I gave a ton of them away in this forum. At least someone might get some use out of them, right?

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Dinesh29888 wrote:

I had a case mate tough (35$ including shipping to india) from Mobilefun.in on day one ... and a $4 scratch guard from a local shop.
After few weeks i liked the belkin grip candy sheer and felt my case mate is too bulky so i ordered the belkin from Thecellguru ($25.52 including shipping ) and received it after 1month.
I liked the matte scratch guard so again changed my scratch guard from a local shop for $10.
Always been a fan of total body protection with a wet installation as it gives a good grip so went with BestSkinzever which costed me $10.98 including shipping.
Liked the side decals from Lucky labs so ordered that for $13.75 pack of 3.
Was never aware of the tempered glass from Bodyguardz and Spigen Glas.tr and the day when i knew went with the spigen Glas.tr but the shipping from spigen website was costing me a lot and ebay was not accepting my card. So ordered it from Caseaddict.com for $33 & they mailed me back saying they don't have the Glas.tr in stock but they have a different brand USG + which comes from the same factory of spigen but with a different packing so i asked them to send me ... Received it in a week installation was good but left with a bubble on the top left of the screen.
So i wanted to remove it and install it 100% perfect. This time went with Spigen Glas.tr from their official website plus the Ultra thin air which costed me $70.58 including shipping ...
So total till now i have spent $203

Wow, one or two more accessories and you will have spent more than I did! I can appreciate your perseverance as, depending on what you are trying to get, it can become more difficult if you are in another country. Were there any problems removing the USG+ glass? Cracking, etc.?

----------

Nhwhazup wrote:

OMG! OP- totally understand the addiction but I moved on in 2013. Seriously, my New Year's resolution was "no more cases".

My problem is that I would find the perfect case for me with my phone but then when I got a new iPhone, the previous company would change up the design just enough where the new design wouldn't work for me with the new phone. So all the hard work of finding the perfect case would start all over again. I'm not one that has to have a plethora of cases to change them up, I just want the one perfect case.

For me, the only way I could justify the absolute wastefulness of the whole pile of cases collecting dust, was to get rid of them. I gave a ton of them away in this forum. At least someone might get some use out of them, right?

I know exactly what you mean, the whole re-"casing" from iPhone 3GS to 4 and now 5, they get you coming and going. I sincerely hope the 5s or 6 or whatever they call the next one or two remain the same dimensions, or at least offer two different sizes and keep one of them the same as now, as someone else mentioned.

Although I still like three or four of the cases I have accumulated I might give away a couple of the rest, but maybe make it into some kind of interesting process since more than one person may want the same case. We'll see, might have to figure out something on that.

Is there a place here where you can offer up things for donation? I looked at the main menus but did not see anything.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
On the for sale thread you can put items in there for free. Initially I offered my cases up on a regular thread like this but then the moderator moved my post to the for sale thread - it is called Marketplace and at the very beginning of where the forums are shown. It is all the way to the bottom of the page.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Some before/after pictures of a couple of cases crammed with four cards plus a folded bill. Incredibly, they all do fit in the CM4 and KillSpencer cases although probably not recommended for quick-draw paying situations. At least not until the cases stretch out a little as the cards are still held in pretty tightly.

Ah, a Platinum Card holder. Call me at Membership Rewards! That's where I work. And the 20% airline points discount ended yesterday...

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
[B said:
Nhwhazup;16765406]On the for sale thread you can put items in there for free. Initially I offered my cases up on a regular thread like this but then the moderator moved my post to the for sale thread - it is called Marketplace and at the very beginning of where the forums are shown. It is all the way to the bottom of the page.[/B]

Hmm, I don't see it. But then I looked around and it seems I have to be here for 6 months, plus have to have a bunch of posts anyway. Oh well, that time will come soon enough.

----------

Ah, a Platinum Card holder. Call me at Membership Rewards! That's where I work. And the 20% airline points discount ended yesterday...

Aww, man! No rewards discount now? Bummer!

(the Plat card is simply because Costco had a special sign-up program going at the time, I am sure I ain't nothin' special...) :(

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Hello my name is Jonathan...I have this disease as well :(

Haha. Seriously, it drives my absolutely crazy. Here are the cases I've tried thus far with my iPhone 5.

-Speck Smartflex View
-Speck Candyshell Satin
-Switcheasy Nude
-Switcheasy Tones
-$5 eBay bumper
-Pad&Quill Pocket Book
-Lifeproof Fre

At this point, I'm just considering buying insurance on the phone and going caseless. Even with insurance though...I don't want to be walking around with a scratched up phone all the time. 1st world problems...I know.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Boo yah

Attachments

• Optimized-DSC_1057.JPG
    Optimized-DSC_1057.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 98

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Not bad here.

Atelier Pall Mono Wallet
Ikonic Edge Wallet
Cygnet Silver Urbanshield
Spigen Ultra Thin Air
Otterbox Defender today.

The wallets are nice but a pain getting phone out all the time and don't trust myself with a naked phone and don't like the finish of screen protectors. the Atelier leaves leather on the screen.
Cygnet is too hard to get on and off.
Spigen is ok although no protection if put face down doesn't come above the screen.

Actually liking the otter box, the screen protector and the buttons are great. way better than the lifeproof 4S i had.

will keep the otterbox and spigen sell the rest.

miniguu

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2005

Haha. Seriously, it drives my absolutely crazy. Here are the cases I've tried thus far with my iPhone 5.

-Speck Smartflex View
-Speck Candyshell Satin
-Switcheasy Nude
-Switcheasy Tones
-$5 eBay bumper
-Pad&Quill Pocket Book
-Lifeproof Fre.

Thoughts on the pad and quill case in terms of drop protection and functionality? Having to fold the case back to answer a call seems a little awkward. If I have a bodyguardz pure installed, will it make any diff to the fit?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

-Speck Smartflex View
-Speck Candyshell Satin
-Switcheasy Nude
-Switcheasy Tones
-$5 eBay bumper
-Pad&Quill Pocket Book
-Lifeproof Fre

At this point, I'm just considering buying insurance on the phone and going caseless. Even with insurance though...I don't want to be walking around with a scratched up phone all the time. 1st world problems...I know.

Funnily enough, my iPhone got scratched more (by the case) when it was in the case than just using it naked :eek:

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Thoughts on the pad and quill case in terms of drop protection and functionality? Having to fold the case back to answer a call seems a little awkward. If I have a bodyguardz pure installed, will it make any diff to the fit?

Build quality was amazing. Very nice overall. In fact, I have no complaints about the case itself at all.

Drop protection? Very very good. In fact, as long as you have the little ribbon in place, I'd say it could handle almost any drop. Without that flap secure, the phone may pop out from a big drop.

My complaints are more about "wallet" cases in general. The opening and closing got old really fast.

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013

-Speck Smartflex View
-Speck Candyshell Satin
-Switcheasy Nude
-Switcheasy Tones
-$5 eBay bumper
-Pad&Quill Pocket Book
-Lifeproof Fre

Haw! Welcome to CCA (Case Collectors Anonymous)...

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013

Wow! That's all iPhone 5 cases?

----------

Not bad here.

Atelier Pall Mono Wallet
Ikonic Edge Wallet
Cygnet Silver Urbanshield
Spigen Ultra Thin Air
Otterbox Defender today.

The wallets are nice but a pain getting phone out all the time and don't trust myself with a naked phone and don't like the finish of screen protectors. the Atelier leaves leather on the screen.
Cygnet is too hard to get on and off.
Spigen is ok although no protection if put face down doesn't come above the screen.

Actually liking the otter box, the screen protector and the buttons are great. way better than the lifeproof 4S i had.

will keep the otterbox and spigen sell the rest.

Just wondering, how is the tactile sensation of the touchscreen with the Otter case installed? My daughter had a Lifeproof on her 4, took it off and stopped using it after a couple days, said there was too much "space" between the clear cover and didn't like the sensation of the touch-use as it "bounced" up and down each time she touched the screen.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

----------

Just wondering, how is the tactile sensation of the touchscreen with the Otter case installed? My daughter had a Lifeproof on her 4, took it off and stopped using it after a couple days, said there was too much "space" between the clear cover and didn't like the sensation of the touch-use as it "bounced" up and down each time she touched the screen.

The screen protector on the defender is great i really like it and i usually dont use any at all. I had a lifeproof for my 4S and sold it because the protector was crap. The otter box is thicker but shorter than LP. The otter feels better in the hand too. No probs with sound too.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012

----------

yeh u jelous?

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I would love to have a bunch of cases, but I'm content with my ugly, stained, griffin reveal on my iPhone 5. Hopefully will never change!

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
yeh u jelous?

Yeah! I has ta catchup now! Dang You! :D

----------

I would love to have a bunch of cases, but I'm content with my ugly, stained, griffin reveal on my iPhone 5. Hopefully will never change!

That Reveal looks to be a nice slim case. But I has ta have card storage, I am now afflicted with one-item-carry-disease...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.