Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
I have 2 ipads and want to give one to my grandaughter. Do I just hit Reset and then Erase All Content and Settings?

The ones I have are an Ipad 2 and Ipad 4. I initially setup the Ipad 4 from the Ipad 2 at installation so I want to make sure if I delete everything from the Ipad 2 (the one I want to give her, it doesnt mess up the Ipad 4. Also, does this method take the Ipad 2 back to original factory settings? Thank you.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
You would have need to reset settings and format memory and contacts..

I am very non tech, I would have no idea how to do that or even what would happen if I didnt do that. I know that I had bought a Kindle Fire before the Ipad and gave that KD to my daughter after deleting all content. She had no problems registering the KD and using. Since I will keep the Ipad 4 that was setup using the Ipad 2, is the only reason that causes me to question. Cause I think Apple Ipad is better than the KD #

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I am very non tech, I would have no idea how to do that or even what would happen if I didnt do that. I know that I had bought a Kindle Fire before the Ipad and gave that KD to my daughter after deleting all content. She had no problems registering the KD and using. Since I will keep the Ipad 4 that was setup using the Ipad 2, is the only reason that causes me to question. Cause I think Apple Ipad is better than the KD #

Ignore Alberts post. Just do as you were going to do and it'll be like new!

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Ok thanks much. And I meant KF (Kindle Fire) above, dont know how to edit these posts.

BZIG

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
Wiping...

I have 2 ipads and want to give one to my grandaughter. Do I just hit Reset and then Erase All Content and Settings?

The ones I have are an Ipad 2 and Ipad 4. I initially setup the Ipad 4 from the Ipad 2 at installation so I want to make sure if I delete everything from the Ipad 2 (the one I want to give her, it doesnt mess up the Ipad 4. Also, does this method take the Ipad 2 back to original factory settings? Thank you.

It doesn't actually remove the photos/data etc, only way to be sure is to go in /var and type the following in terminal, dd if=/dev/zero of=empty.dat and type, rm empty.dat

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
“In terminal". I dont know what that means, i.e. where to find the spot where you type in the letters you suggested. Thank you.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
“In terminal". I dont know what that means, i.e. where to find the spot where you type in the letters you suggested. Thank you.

Don't worry about it. "Erase All Content & Settings" will format the device and bring it back to factory settings. There's no need for anything with Terminal.

If you feel like it, run the setup after you erase it and check to make sure your data is gone and then run erase again. (It will be though. I've ran EAC&S on multiple iOS devices and they've all been wiped when it finished.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.