Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
ive never had an apple tv, and havent looked into it much, but i use plex, on my mac and my ipad.

i stream to my tv using my wii and wiimc, in the lounge but cant stream to tv in bedroom.

can plex stream to apple tv? would this be the easiest/cheapest way to stream to that tv?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
can plex stream to apple tv? would this be the easiest/cheapest way to stream to that tv?

Yes, it can. No, it wouldn't be the cheapest way. You would have to jailbreak it.

What I am currently setting up:
Core Duo Mac Mini connected to projector/Wifi, streaming to Roku in other room. Even new Rokus are cheaper than the ATV.

lexk

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
As far as I know there's a Plex app for jailbroken ATV2 only or you can use Airplay from the Plex iPad app. Hope that helps.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
what model Mac and iPad do you have

early 2009 mini 2ghz and ipad 4. though i am pondering whether i can afford a new mini

----------

Yes, it can. No, it wouldn't be the cheapest way. You would have to jailbreak it.

What I am currently setting up:
Core Duo Mac Mini connected to projector/Wifi, streaming to Roku in other room. Even new Rokus are cheaper than the ATV.

the cheapest roku on amazon is a roku 2400 for 50 quid, would this be my best bet? would a more expensive one be better? im in portugal so netflix, iplayer etc are useless, it'd just be a plex player basically.

i cant see roku in any of the shops here but they do have WD live, would this do?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
early 2009 mini 2ghz and ipad 4. though i am pondering whether i can afford a new mini

----------

the cheapest roku on amazon is a roku 2400 for 50 quid, would this be my best bet? would a more expensive one be better? im in portugal so netflix, iplayer etc are useless, it'd just be a plex player basically.

i cant see roku in any of the shops here but they do have WD live, would this do?

the ipad4 will be allow you to mirror to the ATV allowing you to use plex on the iPad

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Apple TV 2 jailbroken yes. Apple TV 3, you can airplay Plex media from your iPhone or iPad. Not the best solution, as it involves three devices, your PC running the Plex Media Server, your iDevice receiving and airplaying the media and the Apple TV to display it on your TV, but it works and works well.

I use it often to stream many media sources not available on the Apple TV, I find it easier than opening a bunch of media source specific apps or websites.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I can't seem to play Plex over my ATV2 or iPad. Says I need to pay for like a monthly service?

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I can't seem to play Plex over my ATV2 or iPad. Says I need to pay for like a monthly service?

Huh? That is just for Plex pass which is optional.

Are you trying to stream local media or media from an installed channel?

Last edited:

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Huh? I know Plex moved to a subscription plan for queued media, ie where you can download media from a site for watching off line later; but not for live streams, I used it just last night.

Are you trying to stream local media or media from an installed channel?

Maybe I was using it wrong. I never really tried it again. I have my Media synced with the Media Server on my iMac.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Maybe I was using it wrong. I never really tried it again. I have my Media synced with the Media Server on my iMac.

plex is free to stream, whther locally or using plex/web to stream over the internet.

even the downloading isnt definitely a chargeable extra, its just that its in beta and plex have a premium membership where they charge a monthly charge and you are supporting plex and in return you get access to beta facilities and other things. it hasnt been decided yet if downloading content from plex will be premium content or just rolled into plex.

however for plex to work well on ipad you do really need to spring for the plex app which is about €3.49 or something but worth 10 times that.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
I'm thinking about getting the Plex iOS app and airplaying some of the channels to our ATV3. Does that work well? What are the channels like? I still plan to use iTunes as our media server though.

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Yes air playing Plex channels from the iOS app on an idevice works well. I have done this for Let Me Watch movies and for the Plex Hulu channel. Just install Plex Media Server on your home computer, add the channels and you are good to go

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Yes air playing Plex channels from the iOS app on an idevice works well. I have done this for Let Me Watch movies and for the Plex Hulu channel. Just install Plex Media Server on your home computer, add the channels and you are good to go

cool. thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.