Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkao2025

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
New York
I'm not certain how iPhoto and Photostream really works. I take pictures with my iPhone and they are automatically downloaded to Photostream. When I plug in my phone to my Mac, iPhoto pops up and informs me that my photos are already in iPhoto and do I want to import. I understand if I say yes, my photos are duplicated, but if I say no, will they keep on my computer even if they were imported using Photostream?

In other words, Photostream keeps 1000 photos, but if the photos are imported from my iPhone using Photostream, will the photos still be on my computer after the 1000 pics are used up? I'm a little confused:confused:

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
The computer will keep them.

The downside to photostream is it isn't uploading full quality pictures, if I understand correctly. So you'd STILL want to import them from the phone via USB if you want the highest resolution pictures.

Someone will have to confirm that.

However, iPhoto or Aperture will not delete photostream photos after 1,000. iDevices will.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
@tkao2025: All your photos from your iPhone via Photo Stream will be kept in iPhoto. Look in your events in iPhoto. There should be a Photo Stream event created for each month (e.g. "Jan 2013 Photo Stream"). This is how iPhoto keeps all your Photo Stream pictures.

@akm3: I believe the Photo Stream pics are full quality (at least I've never run into image quality being an issue). But confirmation either way would be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.