Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
OP, after a certain age, peer pressure & what other people think doesn't mean [anything].. :)

I second that idea.

Getting old mainly sucks, but the one good thing is that the older I get, as long as what I'm doing doesn't effect others, I don't give a fast flying **** what they think. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It becomes hard to ignore when people say it constantly. What! Do you want me to only use my phone in a dark alley?

The next time someone says they don't like Apple to me. I'm going to tell them they need to think different.

No, that's just reinforcing their idea that APple users are brainwashed cultists that recite marketing slogans.

I would call them out on it. Why does THIS hunk of metal and glass in my hand offend them so much that they have to make their opinions about a corporation known every time? What trauma was inflicted on them by Apple that they HAVE to express their hatred, EVERY time? Make it clear that this is just inappropriate. They can use whatever they want to use, and you have a right to use what you want to use.

Maybe you need to find new friends.

----------

And you shouldn't!! How dare someone try and voice their opinion! How dare they challenge your awesomeness with your apple product! You sir, are truly a pioneer right up there with Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King Jr.!

Something tells me you're one of those people who repeatedly tells others that "I hate x vendor" whenever people pull out their phones.

Well let me just tell you: you're entitled to your opinion. But we get it, you hate X. Repeating it a zillion times isn't going to make them suddenly smash their phone in front of you and shout "by George, you're RIGHT! X COMPANY MUST BE UTTERLY WIPED FROM THE FACE OF THE PLANET!" and join you on a genocidal crusade to cleanse the universe of that company and everything they've ever touched, or thought of touching.

Nobody cares. And if you drill it into people's heads, over and over again, we'll only think less of you.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Just because it doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't make it wrong or right
People always stand behind what they buy. Even if the product is bad. In the other hand they hate the competitions product. That's life. It's rare you see someone buy an iPhone or android and later say they hate it even if they do

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.
This happens to me too, I'm just like....okay, next time I'll ask. People think that since their phone has a movie theatre sized screen that it's automatically better than every other phone that's smaller, regardless of the OS or design of the phone.

I don't care, I mean, whatever floats your boat...

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
i understando you op, just two days ago, in class, about 20 people were talking sh$% about apple, and talking wonderfull about sh$% samsungs. but it was 20 against 1 so i didnt say anything :p

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
These are grown people. They just say. "I don't like Apple."
Age and maturity are two different things. Learn to always consider the source. Why does their opinion matter so much to you anyway? People will have differing opinions and you have no control over their opinions. The only control you have is how you respond to them.

If someone dislikes Apple they may have valid reasons or they may have irrational hatred as well as irrational attachment to an alternative. It's nothing unique to Apple. People do this with all sorts of brands, products and other affiliations.

Like, even if I'm using Siri or whatever I just can't put up with the apathy that people display whenever I'm using my phone.
Why do you need to "put up with apathy"? Apathy is indifference. If they're indifferent then why is it bothering you? Are you expecting attention, praise, etc?

Last edited:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
"I don't like Apple. I hate Apple."

Why do people feel the need to announce that?

These are actual haters. I've never experienced anything like it that people feel like it's okay to say, I don't like Apple. Whenever I do something. Or whenever I pull out my phone.

I have recieved alot of verbal abuse from random *******s, why do they feel like they have to announce that they don't like Apple?

I guess Apple must have hurt them in some way? It just really puts me at a loss, I don't do anything to deserve it.

People are also crazy, I've had people giving me business cards to get my iPhone 5. "Call me if you need me."

I will not hesitate to start calling people out on this nonsense. I will not take it any more.

I get it all the time too for no reason. I work in IT and most people are "pro-Windows" because its all they know. I don't even talk about Mac unless someone brings it up and asks me about it.

At my last job, I had a guy, who I never saw in my life, walk into my office, see the Apple monitor on my desk and say something to the effect of "Oh great, you're another one of those fanboys that sucks Steve Job's ********** dick!" and stormed out.

I also had a guy in my department start screaming at me because all I said was the "walled garden" for Mac OSX was an internet myth and I can install anything I want on my Mac.

People make no sense. I'm glad I don't suck at computers and can use whatever OS is thrown at me, others it seems cannot and this causes them frustration.

S

syd430

People are also crazy, I've had people giving me business cards to get my iPhone 5. "Call me if you need me."

I'm Australian, but in a recent trip to the US I had this happen to me in Central Park. You're not kidding when you say this haha.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I have recieved alot of verbal abuse from random *******s, why do they feel like they have to announce that they don't like Apple?

I will not hesitate to start calling people out on this nonsense. I will not take it any more.

Does anyone actually believe any of this stuff?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
1 - Someone can make a comment about a company/product without it being "verbally abusive"

2 - People can like the products of a company but dislike the company itself. Google, Apple, and Nintendo are all prime examples of this.

3 - I'm not sure what world people are living in where openly discussing and bashing people's choice of phone occurs. If you have that much time on your hand and nothing else to talk about you should really get out of your house more, get a job, find a hobby or do what normal people do and not center your life around tech.

4 - Once again, I find myself pulled by bonskovsky's sad state of affairs. Can't the OP and myphone7 just get married and talk about this stuff in the comfort of their parent's basement?

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
A lot of this verbal abuse comes from so-called Linux users. And I'm like, what the? I don't even know what Linux is. Dude, stop talking to me.

But Android users are the worst. They have a chip on their shoulder and will not hesitate to tell you why they don't like you because you have an Apple phone. Don't you dare pull it out in front of them.

Last edited:

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
I never mind if people don't like Apple products. They feel the need to share with me their contempt with Apple which I don't mind. If they approach for purposes of having a conversation, I just explain that I had an Android phone first. As my very first smartphone. I explain what types of issues it had which ones of the issues my wife was also experiencing on her phone (same make/model) and that was the sole reason I went with an iPhone next. I understand Android has come a long way and I would like to check it out sometime.

Unfortunately, getting that new-to-the-market-segment customer (who's never had a smartphone before) and keeping them long enough to get them wrapped up in your ecosystem is really the name of the game. See, my Android experience was bad enough that I hesitated to buy many apps or spend much money. Now that I've gotten an iPhone, my wife has one, we have an iPad, we've invested in apps and games, and I've experienced the UI only in comparison to my bad Android experience, it's not likely I'll make any switches. The cost of doing so is just too much now.

Of course I've just gone into more detail than I normally would in conversation. I've never had an "argument" with anyone about it. If the conversation gets long enough that we start discussing my experience and the problems my wife and I had, there's really no refuting it. I wouldn't lie about it (heck most people I talk to about phones knew me when I had my android phone and saw it firsthand) so there's no reason to even try. Most people just say "gee, I wouldn't stand for those problems either" and we continue our discussion which usually diverts to a general smartphone or gadget discussion.

Verbal abuse though? a little extreme...

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Verbal abuse. iPhone discrimination. Stop it, you're killing me.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
First world problems FTW!!! :rolleyes:

Hey imagine what people (some wearing uniforms, but some not) might do to you in Poland or Russia 70 years ago if they suspected you belonged to the wrong ethno-religious club-pull down your pants to see if you were circumscised and if you were you'd get a free train ride to Treblinka if they didn't shoot you first! You could also be a woman living today in many places who will never have a normal sex life because your genitals were mutuliated when you were a little girl. Grow up OP. :mad:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I guess I travel in different circles, have different friends and associates, but I've never had anyone, friend/family/stranger say anything negative about my phone. For most part, people don't say anything, and the rare occasion they do, it's something like "What kind of case is that?" or "That's a neat app, what is it?"

I mean, I'm in the development industry, so I have chit chats about iOS, limits, issues, development concerns, etc.

I take out my phone and make a call, send an email, shoot a photo of my little girl, update FB, use Passbook to board a plane and move on with my life. :)

The only place I hear any overt negative commentary about Apple is anonymously online ... shocker ... and it mostly just makes me chuckle that people _actually_ spend any cycle of their life being angry towards a company that has no effect on them. :D

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
But Android users are the worst. They have a chip on their shoulder and will not hesitate to tell you why they don't like you because you have an Apple phone. Don't you dare pull it out in front of them.

I have a number of friends that have Android phones and they don't deride me for my choice in device. So, you shouldn't make blanket statements like that.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
"I don't like Apple. I hate Apple."

Why do people feel the need to announce that?

These are actual haters. I've never experienced anything like it that people feel like it's okay to say, I don't like Apple. Whenever I do something. Or whenever I pull out my phone.

I guess Apple must have hurt them in some way? It just really puts me at a loss, I don't do anything to deserve it.

It's not that serious but you DO realize that Apple fans did the same thing to the rest of the tech world right?

persistentd

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
UK
I am always surprised how people will say they hate stuff or shout abuse when half the time they have never had or tried any apple products. When I bought my first iphone 3gs everyone was giving me a hard time about it. When they saw how easy it was to use, how I wasn't having to mess about with contacts, mail and reminders (it justs works) they changed. Now I have my new iphone I am sure it will be similar, but tell you what I don't care. They need to get a life.

Apple has brought some great products to enhance our lives and I have become a big fan.

:)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Something about Apple vs Android seems to turn even adults into six year olds. "Mine's better than yours!"

Marco Arment wrote an interesting article for The Magazine on this very phenomenon, pretty interesting take, here's the first few paragraphs:

http://the-magazine.org/4/anti-apple-anger

(Need a sub to read the entire article ... not affiliated or anything, but the articles are generally well written, and sub pretty inexpensive)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.