Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Indeed, I read about this a little earlier. Outside of the Netherlands the reports are rather conflicting, with some saying the match was abandoned and others saying that it was completed – there's also some disagreement about which points of the match were affected. Needless to state, it's disgraceful behaviour and as you say happybunny it's proof that it can happen anywhere.

If there is a positive to be found from this incident, it's that comments from the Den Bosch staff indicate that they're deeply ashamed by what happened and and aren't prepared to turn a blind eye to this. All too often it seems that clubs and Associations try to sweep this sort of thing under the carpet and don't take it seriously, but hopefully Den Bosch can set an example to others by stamping out this kind of behaviour from their club.

Altidore was on loan with us for a season (2009-10), so I'm rather familiar with him – he always came across as an extremely nice kid and his response here is typical of him and does him great credit. It's unfortunate though that he's been put in this position in the first place.

I think that the misunderstanding came from the fact that the match was stopped by the referee, and then restarted.

The match was played out because Jozy Altidore told the referee that stopping the match would only let the rascists win.

AZ-spits Jozy Altidore werd vanuit een deel van de Bossche aanhang bestookt met oerwoudgeluiden. Arbiter Reinhold Wiedemeijer wilde de wedstrijd staken, maar op verzoek van de Amerikaan en AZ gebeurde dat niet

http://www.nu.nl/sport/3029104/fc-bosch-gaat-racistische-fans-zwaar-straffen.html

Den Bosch are going to take a civil action in the Dutch courts against those of the crowd who are found making the "Jungle Calls"

The real supporters club of FC Den Bosch has closed it's web site.

http://fcdbfans.nl/

After all the promises about respect made after the death of Richard Nieuwenhuizen in December. :(

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Well done Jozy.

I've always felt like the decision on whether to continue a match in such circumstances should have some input from the players being targeted. That is why I disagree with Sepp Blatter's opinion that matches should never be abandoned due to racist chanting. On the other hand, if the players fell like they want to continue, and the authorities do not see a safety risk, the match should go forward.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Another midfielder for Liverpool. I feel like we've signed about a million midfielders of late. One cap for Brazil means nothing to me...Columbus's Glauber Berti has the same number of caps but he's playing in MLS. Nothing's proven yet, but he obviously shows a lot of potential. Could be a great signing for us.

Everton have bailed out on the the deal for Leroy Fer, sounds like he failed his medical.

In more important news, Chicago 1-2 Columbus in today's pre-season MLS match (on a deserted and windy, albeit sunny and warm, pitch), which Chicago was kind enough to film and upload to the 'net for our viewing pleasure.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
*sigh* even Liverpool have surpassed us. No offense to Lord Blackadder.

EDIT: Maybe not quite

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Watched that one all the way through (on a Dutch football feed :D) - a pretty exciting match, very back and forth at times.

Arsenal are the better team, no doubt in my mind. their ability to possess the ball in midfield remains superior and their attacking moves excellent. They created four or five nailed on scoring opportunities and put two of them away...

...but good grief, the defense...absolute comedy. Several bad giveaways in dangerous places from both teams, though Liverpool far more settled when defending. Liverpool's first goal was scored amid absolute chaos.

Liverpool played pretty well at times and defended reasonably well but probably should have lost the match. We took advantage of three defending errors to score twice and damn near scored a couple good goals from open play. Henderson looked pretty good even aside from his goal, Wisdom did well overall but was outpaced a bit too much for my liking - Johnson did better dealing with Arsenal's pace on his side. Suarez was everywhere - though he was burned on Walcott's goal.

Downing was crap. Lucas was invisible for much of the game, I did not see him breaking up play in the middle enough. Sturridge looked good in spells but become totally isolated before being substituted.

Hilarious dive by Giroud on the edge of the box - I really thought he sold it and we were in trouble. Thankfully the ref saw through the act.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I seriously can't wait till Santos is shipped out or relegated, and Sagna is replaced. Both, especially the former, are serious liabilities. He's not a defender, he's a winger. Mertesacker also on orange alert for me. Waaaaayyy too slow and looks fragile. Jenkinson needs to play more and if i was Wenger i'd do everything possible to get Mats Hummels.

Wilshere again the difference for us. Absolutely immense. Deserves some better players around him.

Its a game we should've won on balance, but another day, another two points dropped.

Everton the true winners of the night.

EDIT: Apparently Gibbs is out for 3 weeks so we have Santos for those 3 weeks. Oh joy...

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Arsenal may finish in the top four this season, but it will be a battle. And that kind of defending will will be ruthlessly exploited in the CL.

United beginning to pull clear again, they are definitely the Least Worst Team in a fairly lackluster Best League in the World. I think they have the title locked down unless they suffer some major injuries.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Arsenal may finish in the top four this season, but it will be a battle. And that kind of defending will will be ruthlessly exploited in the CL.

United beginning to pull clear again, they are definitely the Least Worst Team in a fairly lackluster Best League in the World. I think they have the title locked down unless they suffer some major injuries.

Pool let me down today.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
You and me both. But I doubt they are going to finish any further up the table than they are now, unless one of the teams above them have a huge collapse.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
To-day the Mayor of Den Bosch wrote a letter to Jozy Altidore.

Beste Jozy,
Afgelopen dinsdag heb ik met afgrijzen kennisgenomen van wat jou tijdens de bekerwedstrijd FC Den Bosch - AZ is overkomen. Ik geneer mij voor de wijze waarop sommige toeschouwers - supporters wil ik ze niet noemen - jou hebben bejegend. In dezelfde week dat veel supporters van FC Den Bosch een mooi gebaar maken door gezamenlijk onze Sint Janskathedraal schoon te maken, laat helaas een heel klein deel van de aanhang zien dat het hen aan respect voor anderen ontbreekt. Daar schaam ik mij voor.
Ik bewonder je reactie op dit gedrag. Van mijn kant wil ik je graag laten zien waarom 's-Hertogenbosch al drie keer op rij de meest gastvrije stad van ons land is. Van harte nodig ik jou en eventueel je partner uit op een door jou te bepalen moment onze stad te bezoeken. Ik verwacht dat je zult genieten van de gastvrijheid van de stad.
Ik hoop van harte dat je op mijn uitnodiging ingaat (...) en zie uit naar onze ontmoeting.
Met vriendelijke groet,
Ton Rombouts, burgemeester van 's-Hertogenbosch

I know that is in no way makes up for the incident, but I do believe that this letter is a genuine heart felt sorry.
http://www.nationalemediasite.nl/brabantsdagblad.php

Back to football.

PEC Zwolle are in the half finals of the KNVB Beker. With a 3 - 2 win against Heracles Almelo. It was a close match but one which on balance PEC deserved to win.

PSV beat Feyenoord 2-1 to advance as well.

Last edited:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
harry-e1345194100700.jpg

It's transfer deadline day – unless you're an Arsenal supporter in which case today is 'Thursday'.

We all await with baited breath to see which team makes the most ludicrous last minute panic buy as the clock ticks down. :)

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Was about to post the same: he definitely made his way from Berlin. Therefore: thumbs up! :D

Yup good on him. But i really fear for QPR, if they don't stay up (which i doubt they will) then its seriously Game Over for all involved.

In other transfer talk, 37yr old Beckham is on his way to PSG. To which i say...why? must be trying to compete with Giggs. in the first to hang up the boots game.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
QPR are going to have a killer squad for the Championship next season.

daneoni said:
In other transfer talk, 37yr old Beckham is on his way to PSG. To which i say...why?

Paris -> Fashion -> Posh

The money is likely going to be big too, which certainly can't hurt. It will be interesting to see how he and Ibra get along...

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
As long as Beckham keeps dinking balls over for Zlatan to nod in and doesn't get any ideas above his station, they should be alright. :p

All in all, PSG seems a good fit – Posh will like Paris, it's close enough to England for family purposes, the club can meet his wage demands and offer him Champions League football. He also knows the Ancelotti well having worked with him at Milan, so both player and manager know each other well.

Meanwhile, Redknapp looks to be trying out the Pompey Plan with another club...

QPR are going to have a killer squad for the Championship next season.
Indeed, that squad is going to kill them if they get relegated.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Meanwhile, Redknapp looks to be trying out the Pompey Plan with another club...

Indeed, that squad is going to kill them if they get relegated.

RE: Redknapp...at what point will the press finally turn on him and paint him as the opportunistic, wheeler-dealing, short-sighted destroyer of clubs that I feel he is? If QPR do get relegated and Fernandes does flee the club, it could be a 100% repeat of Pompey.

The squad they have is probably too expensive for the Premier League (given QPR's revenue), let alone the championship. And even if they stay up, they will require huge infusions of cash just to pay their players.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Iit seems Beckham signed a 5-month deal. Family will be based in London. Will donate his earnings to charity apparently.

As for QPR, its clear they're gambling everything and playing any and all possible cards in hopes of staying up. It will either end up being a genius move or absolutely moronic. Likely the latter. Because in my opinion they held on to Hughes for far too long and spent/still spending stupidly.

EDIT: Brace yourself everyone Wenger might actually reach into his pocket :eek:...well...maybe. Still only a rumour.
ARSENAL LATEST
Spanish football expert Andy West from his Barcelona base: "A new signing from Spain in the offing for Arsenal...but it's not David Villa. Radio Marca are reporting that Malaga's Nacho Monreal has caught a flight to London to negotiate terms with the Gunners.

"The 26-year-old is Malaga's first choice left back and a full Spain international. Malaga don't want to sell but it appears their financial problems have forced them to accept an offer reported to be in the region of £8m."

In other news, FA have decided to stop being ridiculous and leave the Hazard situation as is.

Last edited:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Meanwhile, in an example of how daft things get on transfer deadline day – Peter Odemwingie has tipped up at Loftus Road to try and get a transfer sorted. The only thing is, West Brom haven't agreed to sell him so it looks like he's popped down under his own steam on the off chance.

Honestly, Peter Odemwingie. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.