Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inept

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
I recently swapped out the hard drive and RAM in my wife's Late 2008 Macbook for an SSD and 8GB of RAM and it worked fine for a couple of days. Then, sometimes it would shut itself down. This started becoming more frequent until the laptop would shut itself down a minute or two after booting (this is with Mountain Lion). I put the original hard drive and RAM back in (running Snow Leopard), and the same thing happens. I tried booting off of the old Windows partition on the old hard drive, also shuts down. The weird thing is that sometimes before shutting down, in OSX it would ask if you were sure you wanted to shut down, like the power button had been pushed. I thought maybe it was a problem with the power button, but if you leave the Macbook at the boot menu (holding down Option), it will stay on indefinitely.

I'm really at a loss for what happened, aside from me botching something in the replacement. One other thing of note, when I went the replace the parts, the battery was bulging to the point where the lid was jutting out on the bottom. I removed the battery, but possibly the bulging broke something as well.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
No battery in it right now? Could be some sort of conflict with power saving and no battery; the system is set to shut down when battery is X percent, but the the battery out it is getting confused and trying to shut down. Just a guess.

inept

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
No battery in it right now? Could be some sort of conflict with power saving and no battery; the system is set to shut down when battery is X percent, but the the battery out it is getting confused and trying to shut down. Just a guess.

Unfortunately I've tried it with and without the battery. Also, when it was initially working correctly for a couple of days, it didn't have a battery in it at all. Thanks for the suggestion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.