Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SubaLou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
Hi folks!!

Really enjoying my new 27' imac, and still getting it set up. Have had it just 6 days now.

To cut to the chase......what are you all using for idvd alternatives? I'm just learning that Mountain Lion has no idvd.......unless I go buy iLife 11 (which i already have loaded on this imac, just w/o the idvd that Apple left off). I really need something that I can make dvd's with to view on my dvd player.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Burn can create video DVDs, it even has some themes to choose from, though it is very raw.

You could look for used iLife DVDs on eBay to get iDVD.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find similar threads while you wait for more answers:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Burn can create video DVDs, it even has some themes to choose from, though it is very raw.

You could look for used iLife DVDs on eBay to get iDVD.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find similar threads while you wait for more answers:

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
hmm thats funny I have iDVD on my new iMac. Must be because I transferred all data and applications over.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
hmm thats funny I have iDVD on my new iMac. Must be because I transferred all data and applications over.

I didn't install or transfer anything and when I pop in a DVD in my external it plays via iDVD:confused:

Nov 28, 2010
located
I didn't install or transfer anything and when I pop in a DVD in my external it plays via iDVD:confused:

It plays via DVD Player, iDVD is for DVD creation.

iDVD
idvd-icon.png

DVD Player
hw0thg.png

SubaLou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
Following up on my original post. I see in the app store, there are some decent dvd creater apps....one called "1dvd" looks interesting and to date has a few decent reviews....the "pro" version only $9.99......Might be worth a try I'm thinking.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

If you used Migration Assistant to move your data over from the old machine, it will bring over iDVD. I still have it on my system from this process.

SubaLou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
You seem to be confused. iDVD used to be part of iLife and was never part of the Mac OS X operating system.

Not confused. I know it used to be part of iLife....which is why i had it on my older mac. But i also have iLife on this new mac...but iDvd didnt come with iLife 11 this time when I got this new mac built- hence me looking for an alternative.

To clarify even more...I'm not looking for the dvd player....I'm looking something to make dvds so I can watch on my home tv dvd player. iDVD let me be able to make dvd's.

Thanks much.

vander11

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Solution?

Hi, I just read your post. Did you ever find an alternative to iDVD. I am in the same position you were in. New Mac, no iDVD.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.