Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
I don't disagree with your point at all, but I'm not sure where you got your Apple TV numbers. The said during the conference call that they sold more than 2 million last quarter and over 1.2 million during the 2011 holiday quarter.

I got it from this site after spending about roughly 20 seconds searching for it on Google.

...yeah, I could've gone a little more indepth with my research, I'll admit. :p

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I got it from this site after spending about roughly 20 seconds searching for it on Google.

...yeah, I could've gone a little more indepth with my research, I'll admit. :p

So...

FY 2007 - FY 2010 ????
FY 2011 2.8 million
FY 2012 5.3 million
Q1 2013 2.x million

Probably 12-15 million all time? Interesting. :)

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Does this mean no ATV4 in March?

What kind of hardware updates are you looking for at this point? Faster wifi, maybe? The hardware has caught up with current standards - 1080p, bluetooth, gigabit ethernet, wifi, etc.

Software updates are more likely in the near term. Probably tied to iOS 7.

A bluetooth remote would be nice. :)

hackjo

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Will an upgraded wireless chip enable it to stay connected to Home Sharing for more than 5 minutes without disconnecting (while two iPhones, an iPad, two Macs, and Windows PC stay connected in the same place)?

I must have a better model than you as mine stays connected for hours.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
iPhone 4S: Faster CPU, faster graphics, faster network connectivity, better camera.
Big product announcement over 1.5 hours, lines forming in front of AT&T and Verizon stores, hell breaking loose. "It's the most amazing iPhone yet."

3.5th-gen Apple TV: Faster CPU, faster graphics, faster network connectivity.
A press release that basically assures us that the product is not worse than the previous revision, that you won't benefit from all those upgrades and that you won't even notice that it was upgraded in the first place.

Anybody who bought an iPhone 5 recently, please check your model number - you might have received an iPhone 5S. Rest assured that it's not worse than the iPhone 5. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, would it have hurt to add some new features that make use of the better performance and announce it as an update?
I'm grasping as straws, but consider the scenario...

Apple has been trying to broker deals with content sources. Not complete.
Hardware design done, they have manufacturing spin up.
Old manufacturing they need to spin down.
Oh crap. Not ready for announcement.

Ship new hardware, old firmware.
Wait on big announcement for features, and say oh hey hardware already out there.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Yup, do agree with that as well. Though they really would benefit from some sort of handheld controller. I'd love to see it, but can't imagine Apple selling something like that.
Their controller may be in the form of an app. The third party will make some sort of controller case/dock

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
I can't believe that apple dont see the mega-huge potential in apple tv...:confused:
Give it some apps for gods sake!

Exactly. Turn it into a console game as well as the TV thing...

The PS3 already does much of the TV-type streaming that the Apple TV does, so why not invade their territory. Surely many of the iPad/iPhone games could be instantly compatible or easily convertible. Then you start inviting developers to add the ATV to their port list and the App store starts selling Medal of Honor XXI, Gran Turismo XIV and all the Lego games for our Apple TVs. Then ATV can spawn an iPod/iPad/iPhone industry for peripherals, like cases, joysticks, rifles, rackets, swords, etc...

Giuly

macrumors 68040
I'm grasping as straws, but consider the scenario...

Apple has been trying to broker deals with content sources. Not complete.
Hardware design done, they have manufacturing spin up.
Old manufacturing they need to spin down.
Oh crap. Not ready for announcement.

Ship new hardware, old firmware.
Wait on big announcement for features, and say oh hey hardware already out there.

...or Phil Schiller is accidentally on vacation.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I think you are right. It is my opinion and this is just a guess out of my butt, that the iPod touch and iPad mini will move to the A5x with the next update. The iPad 2 and Touch 4 will be gone from the line up. Again, just a guess, but it makes sense.
The "x" denotes the extra graphics processors. The iPod will likely never need it. Mini could, if it goes "retina".

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Stealth my arse.

HBOGO coming to Apple TV

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/31/apple-tv-may-start-carrying-hbo-shows-in-2013

I predict a media event sometime in the next couple of months that will include new content.

And you think we need a processor bump for HBO Go? :rolleyes: So everyone with an Apple TV 2 or 3 will have to buy a new device everytime Apple adds a content channel...ummm that would fail...

----------

The "x" denotes the extra graphics processors. The iPod will likely never need it. Mini could, if it goes "retina".

Right I know. My thought is they are dropping the A5 from everything that uses it. I expect the iPad 2 to be gone with the next mini refresh. So my guess, and this is just a guess, the new Mini and the iPod touch move up to the A5x with the Apple TV and nothing using the A5 anymore. Simplifies the supply chain and adds a spec bump to maybe drive new sales of the iPod touch for spec sheet happy buyers.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
No. HBO is just the first one we just found out about.

;)

Still I cannot think of any content that would need a more powerful processor. Games perhaps, so maybe that is in the wings, but then Apple should have enabled BT for mice/track pads.

Guess it is going to be interesting to see what's next.

JuicyJones

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
I'm still waiting for the model number to leak so when I buy one I know that I"m getting the new one and not the old one.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
Seriously though, would it have hurt to add some new features that make use of the better performance and announce it as an update?

They'll have to some time. But if adding a faster processor allows them to use better compression, without older users feeling left out, that's a good benefit too.

And how would you control these apps? Put your big fat fingers on the TV screen, and nothing happens. The only input device is the remote control.

I think an iPhone or iPad as a remote control could do some very innovative things - whether it's to control the TV or run apps. It could also allow some very interesting games.

Of course that would limit sales to iPhone and iPad users. Or perhaps force them to add an iPod Touch remote control with minimal memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.