Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
The writing's on the wall for the mac pro. Apple is just looking for a face saving way of killing it off.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
First the Java blocking debacle, now this. This is one big FU today from Apple to business/enterprise customers.

Not sure where your anger is coming from. The MP product withdrawal is due to an EU regulation. Are you now blaming Apple for regulations all companies much adhere to?

Apple could have the MP re-certified under the new requirement but why when it's only a few months from becoming EOL anyway. I suspect anyone in the respective countries who needs the current MP has one already so where is the fire exactly?

Also since Apple has now given notice anyone who does want this aging creature has a month to get one... maybe even longer if resellers stock up since they are allowed to sell existing stock even after March 1.

b0fh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
New Mac Pros will be...

More bad news for our beloved Mac Pro.

I hope apple doesn't use this as an excuse to discontinue the Mac Pro altogether that would be a very sad day.

A bunch of Mac Minis stitched together into one Mac Pro box.

Miniclusterinnabox Pro! :):apple::D

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
A company sitting on over $130B in cash and who just posted record year-over-year sales and profits (over $13B) should be ashamed of themselves for not updating their flagship product. You can't tell me that Apple hasn't made a conscious decision to let this product die. Apple is such a large company and they can't update the Mac Pro to current industry specs for over two years? Something doesn't sound right...

The Mac Pro hasn't been Apple's "Flagship Product" for a long long time, unfortunately :(

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
What I understood is that European regulations require IT equipment to conform with the UL standards in order to be sold. It could be that the Mac Pro does not meet the updated standard anymore to get that certificate and rather than updating the Mac Pro, Apple chose to withdraw the product entirely.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The writing's on the wall for the mac pro. Apple is just looking for a face saving way of killing it off.

Surely you jest. Apple doesn't need a face saver. It's killed off lines before with impunity, and I don't think an EU regulation is going to cause it to pull the MP everywhere else. That's silly. EU isn't even a huge market for MP.

But the MP as we know it is already a dead animal. Apple has pretty much said as much. There will be a new pro machine this year (Tim Cook said so last year) but it likely will be much more streamlined than the current MP box. Would not be shocked of the optical bays go buy, buy, and two of the four HDD bays are shrunk down for SDD.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
A company sitting on over $130B in cash and who just posted record year-over-year sales and profits (over $13B) should be ashamed of themselves for not updating their flagship product. You can't tell me that Apple hasn't made a conscious decision to let this product die. Apple is such a large company and they can't update the Mac Pro to current industry specs for over two years? Something doesn't sound right...

I'm glad you aren't running a company :D. Apple is in business to maximize profits for shareholders. They have teams of people calculating cost vs probable returns in order to maximize profits. It's obvious to most people that the Mac Pro is way down on the priority list since it doesn't bring in the profits that their other products do.

I still believe they will have a major update to the Mac Pro sometime this year. Unfortunately, it's not soon enough to meet the EU deadline.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
The Mac Pro hasn't been Apple's "Flagship Product" for a long long time, unfortunately :(

I'd say not since the G4/G5's really, the MacPro has staggered since the intel transition in my opinion.

And the power users in the creativity realm have not really been getting the love, FCPX (which is really more FCeXpress, if you ask me.)

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
Doesn't all Mac and iOS software development need to be done on a Mac? Seems like it would be in Apple's best interest to keep the Mac Pro around for developers, not to mention the creative professionals who still use Macs. .

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
First the Java blocking debacle, now this. This is one big FU today from Apple to business/enterprise customers.

Remember that Tim Cook only promised new MacPros for "later in 2013", this could leave Europe without a stock of MacPros for a few months.

Exact quote:

Does sound like third or fourth calendar quarter 2013 to me. Not good if you need a new professional Mac this spring or summer in Europa. High and dry. Ebay might be your last resort.

All iToys all the time. Full steam ahead.

I am one of the people effected by the Java block. It was a good thing. Java is very compromised, with public exploits that let others own your computer and all the data on it. Apple just needs to come up with a system for giving notification to users for THIS TYPE of security patch.

Last edited by a moderator:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Surely you jest. Apple doesn't need a face saver. It's killed off lines before with impunity, and I don't think an EU regulation is going to cause it to pull the MP everywhere else. That's still. EU isn't even a huge market for MP.

Killing off the Xserve or the 17 inch MBP will not be the same thing as killing off the MP. Many companies rely on the computing power of the MP and right now, there are no OS X based alternatives.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Quick! everyone panic buy an obsolete system.

Last edited:

Biscuit411

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2010
A company sitting on over $130B in cash and who just posted record year-over-year sales and profits (over $13B) should be ashamed of themselves for not updating their flagship product.
Unfortunately, this hasn't been their 'flagship' product for years. If it doesn't have an 'i' in its name, then it's just an afterthought these days.

Oops, looks like other folks beat me to it...

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Doesn't all Mac and iOS software development need to be done on a Mac? Seems like it would be in Apple's best interest to keep the Mac Pro around for developers, not to mention the creative professionals who still use Macs. .

You don't need a Mac Pro to develop software. A MacBookAir can easily handle that.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
You realize this is because apple has not updated their outdated product to keep up with regulations?

My guess is that this particular "regulation" states that a computer manufacturer cannot continue selling a product advertised as "new" when its internal components are technologically outdated / obsolete by two or more years.
Sure sounds like the Mac Pro to me!!!

My spidey senses are telling me more and more that I'm going to have to end up building a DP Hack Pro be because Apple is going to let it fade into obscurity in favor of iGadgetry.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I think that particular requirement states that a computer cannot be sold in the EU if it's ridiculously out of date.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Let's hope that Apple brings out an updated version soon that adheres to the rules. I've been waiting for ages to buy one, it would be such a waste if it were to be removed forever from the lineup.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I'd say not since the G4/G5's really, the MacPro has staggered since the intel transition in my opinion.

And the power users in the creativity realm have not really been getting the love, FCPX (which is really more FCeXpress, if you ask me.)

Yeah... They actually used to have ADVERTS for the powermac g4 :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.