Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdorais

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
What's with all this "Apple is killing off the Mac Pro" talk? Didn't the CEO of Apple say they've got something big for the line later in 2013? How does that translate to "killing it off"??

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
A company sitting on over $130B in cash and who just posted record year-over-year sales and profits (over $13B) should be ashamed of themselves for not updating their flagship product. You can't tell me that Apple hasn't made a conscious decision to let this product die. Apple is such a large company and they can't update the Mac Pro to current industry specs for over two years? Something doesn't sound right...

Since when is the Mac Pro the Apple "flagship" product?

The fact that Apple still manages to sell some, and people still demand Apple sell this model tells you all you need to know.

Apple has been going through an impressive internal reorganization since Steve died, and building totally new hardware takes time. Apple may simply be getting a totally new "pro" Mac model ready to go and it will ship when it's ready.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
What's with all this "Apple is killing off the Mac Pro" talk? Didn't the CEO of Apple say they've got something big for the line later in 2013? How does that translate to "killing it off"??

He didn’t say for the mac pro, he said for the pro users (I think). Although there’s not much else he could be talking about for pro users. Unless... iPad Maxi? ;)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Killing off the Xserve or the 17 inch MBP will not be the same thing as killing off the MP. Many companies rely on the computing power of the MP and right now, there are no OS X based alternatives.

Many companies relied on Xserves too...I remember the whining here.

The computing power of the MP is Intel, ATI, nVidia, not Apple. And if raw power is what companies want then surely a PC box, at this stage of the MPs life would be the way to go. When Apple withdrew from the pro video market the need for an OS X run pro box lessened considerable as many went Avid or Premier.

But Apple isn't killing the concept of the pro Mac. You are all hypochondriacs. Tim Cook said there would be a new pro machine this year. Probably not a MP, but something new. Adjust.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

Thanks for posting a link to, like, actual facts. Instead of the (usually) uninformed opinions that seem to be popular.

Not that this link really helps. Too many possibilities. But my guess is that it is a grounding issue, and that Apple decided to pull the product rather than redesign the MP for the few months that this current version seems to be have.

Can't be that big a problem since the EU isn't freezing sales, just freezing the importation of new inventory into the EU. Whatever is already in the EU can still be sold... so it's not a dangerous product. If Apple knew that the freeze was coming it's conceivable that they imported enough stock to keep their resellers stocked up until the new version of the MP is released.

MacSignal

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
Unfortunate for EU and Apple. It is difficult to imagine what could possibly accelerate delivery of an updated MP. It probably isn't this.

But I still like the MP and hope promises of a 2013 update are genuine.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Yeah... They actually used to have ADVERTS for the powermac g4 :eek:

Yeah because it was their best selling model back then. Today it's Air or MBP 13". But even for those they are not advertising much. I think times have changed.

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
Probably RoHS or Lead

Any computer that old probably is made using lead in the board or is going to fail RoHS --Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Killing off the Xserve or the 17 inch MBP will not be the same thing as killing off the MP. Many companies rely on the computing power of the MP and right now, there are no OS X based alternatives.

At some point companies will have to take responsibility for depending on Apple for their IT infrastructure. They can't keep acting surprised when these things happen.

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Not sure where your anger is coming from. The MP product withdrawal is due to an EU regulation. Are you now blaming Apple for regulations all companies much adhere to?

I assume the schedule for these regulations would have been announced some time ago. It makes it even more ridiculous that Apple didn't launch a redesigned Mac Pro in 2012. I was all set to buy one.

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
With any luck, there will be a massively upgraded, new Mac Pro soon and it will be in a 4U mountable case, making it a much delayed replacement for Xserve.

Now, because I actually believe this, I think I will go out in my back yard and look for bigfoot and magical unicorns.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
This is not unprecedented. I remember when the transition occurred from the G4 to the G5 iMac . There was a bit of a gap (in that case it was because the G5 model wasn't ready in time). No big deal.

I think the new model that comes out later this year will undoubtedly adhere to this new European standard and will be sold there.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
This makes it ever more urgent for Apple to release their Mac Pro 2013 soon!

Even if Apple released a Mac Pro 2013 the current one (as a refurb ) would be finished in Europe. In short, they'd likely have to make this announcement now anyway whether it is a short term or long term replacement coming later this year.

Frankly though, Apple has already invoked the Osborne Effect. The longer into 2013 it goes, the fewer Mac Pros they are going to sell anyway with or without EU conflicts.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Unfortunate for EU and Apple. It is difficult to imagine what could possibly accelerate delivery of an updated MP. It probably isn't this.

But I still like the MP and hope promises of a 2013 update are genuine.

Yup. This won't accelerate anything. It's not a "surprise" regulation passed at midnight last night. Apple's known this was coming and decided it wasn't cost effective to get it recertified. It's really no big deal b/c companies can continue selling existing stock even after March 1. Apple just can't sell units starting March 1. So resellers, Apple Stores, order MPs like crazy to keep a 3 month inventory until WWDC.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
When Apple withdrew from the pro video market the need for an OS X run pro box lessened considerable as many went Avid or Premier.

Funny that they still use Premiere or Avid on Mac boxes though. Not to mention, FCPX is Apple's best selling NLE to date as far as I know. So they didn't withdraw from anything. They just lost some users and gained tons more. And all of those new users are benefitting from the core count of MP's. I don't think you understand how annoying it'd be to edit native RED on a MacBook Air. iMacs are quite fast yeah, but still they don't beat a 12 Core MP and they don't have PCI-e benefits which NLE users love. Even if you have a few person NLE team working on a small project, you'd still benefit from having MP's.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Macrumors users sure are short sighted. Carbon fibre body Mac Pro, anyone? I seem to recall the Mac Pro was the first to switch to an aluminium design.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I assume the schedule for these regulations would have been announced some time ago. It makes it even more ridiculous that Apple didn't launch a redesigned Mac Pro in 2012. I was all set to buy one.

Yes, I assume so. But Apple has its schedule. I'm ready to buy too, for a long time. But today's new's is a nothing burger.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

Thanks for posting a link to, like, actual facts. Instead of the (usually) uninformed opinions that seem to be popular.

Not that this link really helps. Too many possibilities. But my guess is that it is a grounding issue, and that Apple decided to pull the product rather than redesign the MP for the few months that this current version seems to be have.

Can't be that big a problem since the EU isn't freezing sales, just freezing the importation of new inventory into the EU. Whatever is already in the EU can still be sold... so it's not a dangerous product. If Apple knew that the freeze was coming it's conceivable that they imported enough stock to keep their resellers stocked up until the new version of the MP is released.

Any computer that old probably is made using lead in the board or is going to fail RoHS --Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment.

I think it's this part of the regulations :

"A new set of requirements for safety protection against moving fan blades for both users and service persons."

The Mac Pro fan system will continue to run if you take the side plate off. Exposing the user or service guy. I know you're supposed to turn it off first but you don't have to.

wdowell

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
FR
EU: , "These computers you are making aren't crappy enough". ;)
Fix it oryou can't sell anymore here.

Can I just take the liberty to make one thing clear - before more people jump on the EU: this is ***NOT*** a European Union directive or indeed anything that came from the EU.

If people did their research before jumping to conclusions they would understand the difference between different entities on the European continent.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Something doesn't sound right...

Yeah - something doesn't sound right because they're deliberately tanking Apple after they ballooned the stock price. Apple has become one giant naked short sale. They're probably going to collapse Apple as an excuse to take down the dollar and start world war three.

Last edited:

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
It looks like it is some electrical safety standard. Mac Pro isn't a volume seller, but it still looks odd that they can't or don't want to get it up to standard.

Why do a half-assed update for a (probably) minor issue if you are in the process of either completely re-designing the unit and issuing said re-design shortly (hopefully) or you're about to ditch the product entirely (hopefully not)? I think if the Pro was a mass seller they might do a "between upgrade" patch, until whatever upgrade was ready.

I'm still a little surprised that when they did the last "upgrade" (if we can call it that) they didn't at least add TB and USB 3.0. You'd think that this would be a fairly modular kind of upgrade, not requiring any significant change in the rest of the computers hardware.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
For people worried about a mac pro refresh: I firmly believe that Apple is working on a full core-storage-backed Mac Pro for 2013. Why? Well, imagine this: Being able to push a button and remove a drive, so you can replace it with a larger one, without losing any data. Being able to "fuse" a large number of drives together into one large drive, and being able to lets say encrypt two drives using the same password, but leave the third unencrypted, or with its own password. All of these things (and more) would be trivial to do once Core Storage is fully implemented. It would make the Mac Pro the best workstation by far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.